RAW Almonds Forever! Maybe?

chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

On another forum it’s being said that this Ebay Seller and California Almond Grower will ship unpasturized after September 2007. Isn’t life wonderful?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwildbg73QQhtZ-1

To keep him from getting 1000 queries from the almighty goneraw community, I have already asked him to confirm this. I will post his reply as soon as I have it.

Chris – purelyraw.com

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

That sounds promising. According to my understanding, technically, according to the new ruling, what he is doing is illegal. Unless he is only shipping outside the US? I hope he doesn’t get found out and get in trouble. Maybe Ebay won’t catch on. :)

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I was under the impression that direct sales in small quantities (below 100# a day to one individual) were OK. Is this not the case?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

The site doesn’t says they are unpasteurized. I’ve asked in anther forum if “they” can sell unshelled almonds unpasteurized. I don’t know this new California-almond law… nor the pasteurization process… but, would they really need to pasteurize unshelled almonds? Does this only apply to California? Are there other states that will be able to sell unpasteurized almonds?

Hi Chris,

I have been working on the almond issue with an woman who knows all the little points on it – she has been workingw with the USDA and small organic almond farmers to try to get an amendment to the ruling – probably will take a while though. What she told me was that you can’t ship any quantity of unpasteurized almonds in the US (but if you are shipping directly to say the UK or Japan – they don’t have to be pasteurized – weird I know). So if you are going to sell raw almonds (or apparently call them raw which they won’t be because they will be pasteurized) and ship them somewhere -doesn’t matter where to a business or a Whole Foods or a person – they are supposed to be pasteurized before being shipped.

The small amount in direct sales that you are referring to is the fact that you will still be abel to buy raw unpasteurized almonds from like a little roadside stand somewhere – which would be somewhere in California near the almonds farms obviously. So, yes, there will be some direct small sales allowed to be done but obviously you have to get yourself to California to get purchase them.

germin8 – Yes they probably can be it will be like what I described above – you will have to go to California to get them (or have a friend in Californai buy them for you and cleverly package them (hope the package doesn’t accidentally irradiated during shipping) and ship them to you. :)

They are basically going to pasteurize ALL raw almonds – in shell or not. They don’t care. They are too worried about outbreaks to care whether or not it is really necessary. They want to make sure they don’t get sued again if someone gets sick – it’s all about money. :(

Almost 100% of the raw almonds used and sold in the US today are grown in California. The only other state that I believe can grow them is Florida but they normally don’t grow them. That is why this whole thing is such a tragedy. You can still buy organic raw almonds from overseas (like my co-op sells some that were grown in France) but they are WAY expensive. But yes, as far as I understand, the ruling is for CALIFORNIA almonds. If you know someone that owns their own almond tree, that might be a best bet for you!

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

His Reply…

Hello Chris. As far a I understand it, growers like myself can sell the unpasturized nuts without any problems. If that remains true, I would be happy to continue the same deal. Thanks!! Bill

Hopefully it will be impossible to police/enforce the new laws for small sales. Keep your fingers crossed.

Lovebows, Chris

Thanks for the reply queenfluff. That’s the general idea I got from the Almond Board of California. Except the part about the shelled/unshelled… that was unclear. That’s too bad they would pasteurize both… that doesn’t make sense either. Oh well.

Would you know if we can buy an almond tree to plant for ourselves? :o) ...since afterall, all almonds will be dead and unable to sprout into a tree. (I’m not about to plant a tree where I live… just curious.)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

you say you can buy unpasterised almonds from overseas, yes, French ones would be expensive, France is a rich country. Check out almonds from middle eastern countries and asian countries which are poorer and their produce is cheaper. We can get Iranian and cyprus almonds cheap.India has almonds too which would also be very cheap.

Hi Chris – Thanks for posting that. Yes, hopefully there will be ways around the laws and we can still get some cheaper unpasteurized raw almonds some how. I am sure different things will start happening once they become so hard to get in September. :) It always takes a while for new laws to get enforced sometimes. Hopefully Ebay won’t notice. I may buy some off of that guy myself if his almonds are truly unpasteurized.

germin8 – Yes, you can buy one I am sure – where I have no idea? But yes, you would probably need to be living in California or Florida to get your tree to grow well. Unless you have a greenhouse maybe? I don’t know the specifics on how to grow an almond tree – I might have to start learning though!

Yes, it is actually very rare for raw almonds to carry an outbreak. But you know how it goes – it happens once – even in a small scale – they get sued and lose money and they freak out. It really does suck.

Zoe – The French ones are the only ones I have seen by me unfortunately – I am sure you can get cheaper ones that are grown overseas elsewhere (like online) that will be better prices. I haven’t seen any here in the US (in my area) that were grown in India or other places – but than again I really haven’t been looking until recently. :) I have been getting into the habit of looking at the raw almond prices in the store lately and seeing where they are from! Whole Foods already have signs up that the raw almonds won’t be around after September. Raw Organic Almond Butter is outrageously expensive – I almost had a heartattack when I saw the price!

Also, if I get any new news from my friends about raw almond laws – I’ll be sure to post on here. It has been quiet lately though.

Hey guys,

I just got this little message about something going on this the raw almond issue. Funny as we are just talking about today!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFLivingFoods/mes…

Looks like some people want to start doing some more “protesting” again! :)

queenfluff, you’re 2nd to last post brings up another question. Click here .