Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why do people eat so many dates, cashews, dehydrated foods?

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I understand if you wash and soak cashews, plus all other nuts they will be toxin free. By the way grains have the same problem. So a good rinsing, soaking and then sprouting is advisable.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yeah Bryan's gone. He said so in the other agave thread.

• so there is this company that sells kale chips, www.superherosnacks.com. They have 2 flavors without Nama Shoyu. Check them out.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

radchad

Whats so bad :) about Nama Shoyu for us IF we seem to tolerate soy ok?

(Thanks Beany B & Raw Kiddo)

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I think it's not really raw. Raw chad obviously works for that company anyways ;)

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

gratefultobe thanks for the heads' up on that, I corrected my link. Oh, and also the FYI on Bryan's departure. Hopefully he will return. It is hard not to share or be extra enthusiastic, I've done it for many years, sometimes it falls on deaf ears, sometimes people will get a little enlightened.

Nama Shoyu is a soy sauce, but it's not truly raw. All soy made into bi-products must be cooked thoroughly beforehand, but soy sauce generally goes through a second cooking process after the sauce is actually made. Nama Shoyu doesn't go through the second cooking process. It is one of those deceptive types of advertising that seems to go after people interested in raw foods, just like the Braggs, cacao, agave, Lara Bars, nuts and other products with a big "raw" sign on them. . As consumers we need to be able to question and reason and conclude that most processed foods labeled "raw" obviously aren't fresh, and usually aren't in fact as raw as we are led to believe. Even many dried fruits have been "cooked" at high temperatures.

I think the positive thing about all this though, is that we are getting away from the more harmful foods like potato chips, fried foods, fast foods, etc. which are far worse. We just have to realize that these processed foods with "raw" labels are transitional foods and aren't meant to sustain us, it's the fresh fruits and veggies that count toward better health.

• ok I know it has been beaten to death but I do have the urge to respond to some of the backlash. I am new to the site and don't have a context for the level of sales pitch happening but here is a quick 1-2 on the topic

i too make my living sharing healing and education with people. I am an acupuncturist and certified herbalist....and a raw foodist....(scandalous I know)

for the first many years of private practice i fell into that trap of "it's health care, the money part is creepy" etc.

I spent years treating people for free, undercharging, apologizing to patients when they got bills they did not want (for services that "changed their lives")

now i can see the level of victimization and manipulation that this is operating at that actually PERPETUATES illness

I paid and ( will be paying ) 70,000.00 dollars for my education and have spent over 15 years with my full life's energy dedicated to this medicine and this humanity. I am certain that Brian has spent unfathomable amounts of time, energy, love , money with equal dedication. Otherwise he would not be successful!

healing is about transformation of energy. and that transformation requires exchange.

like i said, i don't have context for this scenario. brian maybe exhausting in his obnoxious vibes but typically people don't begin this path to exploit.

but they should be supported and appreciated in all ways for their enormous efforts and commitment. helping the planet, reaching whole families, communities, and representing love to the fullest

i am in phase I of the G cousen's book right now....yaoza!

• which book by cousens are u reading??

• the rainbow green for life or something....

three phases

phase one is essentially all vegetable. fats and seaweeds NO FRUIT, NO GRAINS

phase 2 you add some berries, low sugar stuff

phase 3 you expand into a more typical raw diet

i chose this because for my composition it makes a ton of sense in that I have had a long history of bacterial/fungal issues from some international invasions,

the hardest thing for me with it is the protein.....i know what everyone says about it not being an issue but for me IT IS an issue if I want to exercise the way i want to exercise. and i just start craving nuts etc and fat is just too much

i eat endless amounts of greens, hemp etc but the truth is i was a seriously competitive athlete growing up, went vegetarian at age 15 and basically got fat and lethargic. at age 30 added meat to my diet and IMMEDIATELY after 15 years got my will to exercise and my body back within 6 months

now i am doing the raw for consciousness reasons,,,,, just as i did at 15 ,,,,,,,but it is killing me to not have the protein to work with

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

sprouted beans seem to have a lot of protein. and are pretty yummy. give me gas when i eat too much tho... ughhhhhh

Ahhh! Raw Curls (i get it now lol) I am blown away by how many talented, healthy people are sharing their awesome rawness! Have I been living under a rock or what? Your site is fab, made me hungry & happy. The world would be a far better place if you were as well known as McD's.

Thanks for your clarifications. As I hang in there and get more experience under my belt I'll be sure to give other newcomers what info I can so they can move towards the most beautiful life possible too. Namaste'

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I think dates are fine for most people as long as they are not overconsumed. They are a whole food, but they are high glycemic and I've read they are pretty hybridized.

Nama Shoyu is unpasteurized, but made from a base of cooked ingredients. Also, whenever soy is heated, MSG is produced as a by product. I still consume it at raw food restaurants, but otherwise, I steer clear of it. Chickpea miso is a pretty good substitute. LOL. :)

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I eat dates because they're DELICIOUS!!! :)

• Hey radchad,

I was interested in the link you put up but unfortunately the site is under construction and it doesn't have any information about the ingredients. You wouldn't happen to know where I can find that information, would you? I'm always on the look out for a safe chip for me to eat and unfortunately on my diet it's crazy difficult! :)

• Kristensraw, how many dates do you normally consume? I think I am addicted. Sometimes I crave dates. I like dates in apple/almond butter sandwiches, dates with cocoa nibs, dates paired with bananas or persimmons as a meal, or just by themselves because I don't feel satisfied yet. I don't eat them every day, but when I do I range from 3-6 dates at one sitting, a few times a week. Recently my partner has become concerned that I will develop diabetes from my date habit, in addition to the large amount of fruit I consume on a daily basis. I have no family history of diabetes, but is this something I should be concerned about? How many dates is "normal"?

Parsley you absolutely cannot develop diabetes from eating dates or any other whole fruit.

If someone is worried about developing diabetes what they should avoid is an overt amount of fat and refined sugar and flour as in fast food, candy bars, baked goods, etc. and lack of physical activity.

I will eat 10-12 dates plain as a meal. Eat whatever you feel comfortable with, but please know that eating dates or any fresh fruit for that matter alone will not cause diabetes.

http://www.datepeople.net/ These guys practically live on dates, they have a date orchard and are raw foodists. There is some nutritional information here.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I disagree with Raw Curls. Diabetes has been around way longer than refined sugars and starches. I'm sure most people are fine with dates, but for those who are sensitive, I do think they can be a problem. I'm not diabetic, but I have to be careful with dates, or they will give me a sugar spike then crash, making me really cranky.

As for the original post, I think people can and should eat whatever they feel good eating (if it doesn't harm other beings)--for some that includes dates, cashews, and dehydrated foods, and for others it does not. Perhaps RawBryan should start his own recipe forum . . .

there's this guy called durianrider...I'm sure some of you know him..and he says he can eat 1 1/2 pounds of dates a meal (dates have 60 calories each = like 6000 calories) and he says he can burn up to 28,000 calories in a day.....lol...now that I think is too much. There are some people who can eat 12 dates easily and others who cannot, personally it varies for me but generally I feel better eating a low calorie/sugar diet whatever the foods might be. Mostly I eat fruit but I still eat pretty lightly...and sometimes I eat more. Really it varies.

You know, what's weird for me..I think your comment made me realize that when I switched from sad to raw I thought about what I would eat instead of ...whatever old choices. I think it helped me a bunch not to say I CANT eat this anymore, but to say INSTEAD of this I'll have this.

I more or less put dates in the category of a treat. Instead of a couple of pieces of candy I'll grab a couple of dates. Bam! Good to go. So the thought of making them a meal never really occurred to me..but why not? I say if you are good and active your body will assimilate it and use it for fuel. The best thing is to keep a good variety going. I mean I know some people say they do just bananas or just oj but nah I say the best thing about raw is opening your eyes to all the amazing variety's of fruits & veggies out there!!! Ha, I think I do really want to try one of each :)

That's it!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I understand people wanting to get info out there if there's a product that claims to be raw and isn't. However, we seem to have a new agave thread every day and it's annoying, and I have yet to see evidence that the raw agave I buy is NOT raw and/or has corn syrup in it. Why don't the agave crusaders just open up old threads and post there?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

And another thing is that these posts and threads make it seem like we as raw foodists are all about what we don't eat. I don't know about you, but I spend 99% of my food thoughts on what I *do* eat, and it's delicious!

Ambiguous - what I mean is that dates alone cannot *cause* diabetes. I can see how some people who already have blood sugar disorders may have problems eating sweet fruit. I strongly believe that through time and a healthy raw diet (and yes being careful not to do things that would spike sugar levels) that can be overcome, there are many people who could not eat sweet fruit before who have no problems doing it now.

• Thanks for the reassurance; I'll tell my partner not to worry about me when I'm in a fruit-only mood, as so often happens! Right now I seem to be on a date "break" (which is a little relieving as I was starting to wonder if I was addicted!) so when I start wanting them again I won't worry.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that diabetes has been around longer than processed sugar, fat, etc.

I just wanted to point out that the China Study links high amounts of meats and diary products to diabetes and a whole list of other diseases.

So it isn't necessarily processed sugar that causes it.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Gabriel Cousens says studies show an outbreak of diabetes always happens about 20 years after refined sugar is introduced to any culture, but he also says that eating meat can contribute to diabetes. There is another man (sorry, don't know his name) who has evidence that any more than about 10% animal products in the diet can cause lots of health problems. Louise Hay believes that health problems (including diabetes) usually stem from negative emotions/thoughts/beliefs, and that we can get well by changing our thought patterns. Another man laughed his way out of more than one illness. I think it's easy to say there's one thing responsible for a health problem (and it would certainly make life easier if that were true), but it's not necessarily true. My personal opinion is that if the body has what it needs, it will function properly. If it doesn't, it won't. I believe that what the body needs is basically the same for all of us, but is also different for each person depending on our genetics, the climates in which we live, our societies/families/support systems, etc.

• Fruit juice will oxidize and disappear with boiling water. I watched my MIL pour boiling water through a white t-shirt stained with grape juice, and it was fascinating.

So, just figure out how to get boiling water on your counter, without burning yourself. ;o) Maybe in small amounts, and while wearing oven mitts?

Hth!

• I don't have time to get through this whole thread, lol, but I will contribute by saying this: everything in moderation! I'm sure we can all agree with that. If there are large quantities of cashews or dates in a recipe, then I'm sure it's wise to only indulge in it once in a while. I don't eat cashews, but I love dates... yet I don't eat my dates everyday (very seldom, actually). However, if I see a recipe that requires a lot of dates, I won't hesitate on it as long as it serves more as a treat then a daily requirement. Variety is the spice of life, get a little bit of everything! :)

• try stevia instead of dates and agave. it's so much healthier. it doesn't have any sugar. it comes in so many forms too; liquid extract (i recommend the stevia extracted without alcohol), powder, dried leaves, etc. i used to use raw agave. it tastes great but it still has a lot of sugar to me. as for cashews, i stay away from them. i always subsitute brazil nuts for cashews in recipes.

• I didn't read entire blog before commenting...now that I have I had to remove what I had written.

I'm not sure how an opinion and ultimately a question posed by Bryan got so twisted and had people up in arms.

This site's page clearly says..."gone raw, sharing raw, vegan recipes and advice".

Not everyone is going to share each others opinions but thankfully we are free to express ours--welcome to America!!

Reality is RAW is a way of living and because it's not totally mainstream yet there is a business opportunity available to those in the know.

I would much rather have a kind, caring, educated person offering advice than someone just winging it. I'm not proud of this but i tend to be lazy when it comes to doing research. I am more likely to jump online and see if someone who has experience with whatever it is I'm curious to know more about. I applaud Bryan for being RAW as long as he has. It is obviously his lifestyle---personally and professionally kudos to him!! He has passion for the RAW lifestyle and he gets excited about giving and receiving info. yes he makes a living from it as well so what?!! If I sold quality items and I knew it was at a low cost and my peers could benefit from it more than likely I'd be giving you "spiel" everytime we communicated unless you said something that made me feel you were not interested.

I am excited to learn from all of you. I can sometimes come off as opinionated or even aggressive but if I do I can only hope you will approach me from a place of love and not try to blast me...especially coz I tend to be a crybaby.

Peace & abundance to all!

Respectfully

Lo~