Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

question for people planning on having kids

tbone13tbone13 Raw Newbie

hi everyone,

my wife and i are planning to have a kid in 2009. she is very stick skinny and eating healthy diet doesnt help. she has always tried to gain weight but no luck. she eats a lot of food for her size too. she’s about 5’5” and 105.. she’s lost some weight since she gave up some junk food.

having said that, we are concerned about her having enough fat in her diet to get pregnant, be healthy during pregnancy, and producing milk post pregnancy.

what kinds of foods can she eat/should she eat and what quantities? will nuts, seads, and fruits like avos do it?

we are fairly new to raw and any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Avocado’s would be very helpful for her! Nuts and seeds are great too, but Avo’s are really good for you and can be used in so many different ways. I’d say for her to eat atleast 2 per day. You might also want to make some raw desserts for her. Coconut would be good too. They’re all fats, but good fats. I believe there might also be a link somewhere on this site for “bulking up”. You might want to try searching for that. Go online and see what fruits and veggies have the highest sugar/fat content and try to build a diet off of that. I hope that helps!!!

• tbone13tbone13 Raw Newbie

@ carrie6292

thanks. crazy me, i forgot about coconuts!

i have to try extra hard b/c im the health nut and she is/was the carnivore :)

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

No problem. I just hope that helps out a bit! I’d say to eat the nuts over the seeds (just higher in fat). Use Oils too… Olive Oil, Sesame Oil, etc… I’d be happy to send her some of my “extra” :)

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Maybe raw (water/salt cured) olives would help? Yeah, nuts are very good at putting weight on! sigh (: Maybe you could also try superfoods? I’ve heard they are good at restoring someone’s natural weight. Good luck!

• mjmackeymjmackey Raw Newbie

I wouldn’t advocate a 100% raw diet for your wife while pregnant and nursing. Please visit with your doctor about your wife’s diet while pregnant. It might be best to even visit with a dr before she gets pregnant. Sometimes women who are too thin have trouble conceiving. As a mother of 1 and 1 in the oven, it takes a lot of energy to be pregnant and even more to nurse. The second and third trimester require about 300 more calories a day for women and nursing requires 500 cal/day. There were a few times I felt weak while nursing because I wasn’t getting enough calories (even though I ate quite a bit). If you are not getting enough calcium during pregnancy and nursing the baby will take it from the mother, leaving her bones weaker.

• Check out Jingee’s webpage. She has had several raw pregnancies.

You have to search for what you want, but she has several online books about raw pregnancies.

http://www.thegardendiet.com/jinjee.html

thanks so much everyone.

you guys are raw-some! (sorry, coundnt resist)

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Hi tbone. You may want to check if your wife has some kind of absortion problem. If that’s the case, you will probably see some vitamin/mineral deficiencies in the blood test results. She should also be checked for parasites or a thyroid problem perhaps, if you want to make sure. Maybe she is just genetically skinny, but you want to make sure that that’s the case.

I am always been hitting the low side of the balance, and lost weight (instead of gaining) the first trimester of my two pregnancies. As someone else pointed out, is not only the pregnancy that imposes a hard demand on the body, but is also the nursing takes a lot too.

You mentioned that you guys are new to raw, if I were you I would make sure I am in good shape and healthy (not underweight) before conceiving. Bear in mind that many tribes feed pregnant woman and children differently than the rest, so they can meet their nutritional needs. While there is nothing wrong with raw, all raw may not be the best decision for her at this point.

I whish you and your wife good luck.

@ rawlizard

thank you for your insight.

well, we are not fully raw. i’m an on again off again vegan/vegetarian/raw foodie with the hopes of one day becoming 100% raw. my wife on the other hand understands the benefits… but needs her meat, cheese, and fries… ohh, dont forget chocolate.

we want whats best for the whole family so i know that i need to pick and choose my battles. i need to be more creative and come up with highly nutritional foods that wont turn my wife away.

pregnancy can be so scary.. and im the guy! im worried about what she will eat and making sure she has enough energy. she calls me the foodnazi and guilts me into okaying her occassional junk food indugences. in the end, i just want her/us to be healthy.

the raw food lifestyle is hard when only 1 person wants it. :(

im slowly chipping away at the iceberg.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Hi Tbone

I have two toddlers (21 months apart) I nursed throughout my second pregnancy and still am. I really think you should focus on vegan with a lot of raw I personally think it is super hard to get enough nutrients unless you eat all day long. Right now just nursing I am able to maintain about 70-80%. And 100 percent vegan. Check out firld roast grain meat it is soy free ( I beleive ) and a seitan type veggie food it is a good meat replacement. Be wary of too much soy or tofu since it mimicks estrogen it is now advised pregnanat women do not replce meat with soy only in moderation. Make creative salads and smoothies get a few raw books from the library. But most of all listen to your body b/c she will need to give herself what she needs ( I when pregnant did have meat a few times about once a week for the last couple months preganat and nursing I felt I needed it and just kept it organic and of course thanked the animal for its life) Also it is a good idea to do a cleanse and check for parasites before getting pregnanat anyhow. There is also a good veggie burger brand called sunshine burgers it is just beans rice and raw sunseeds with herba and spices all organic with no funky sneak inn Oh yeah that is a good way to have less meat lots of cooked beans look up recipes all beans should be soaked for sometime before cooking.

Good luck and follow your heart

Peace

• First of all I wish you both the best of luck. I am only seventeen so I have obviously had no experience in this matter, but has your wife ever tried royal jelly? I hear it helps make women really fertile! Also did your wife like peanut butter sandwiches? If so there is a good recipe on this site. She could also just spread peanut butter or almond butter on a banana, or on an apple and add raisins on top to get some extra calories. Another thing is that I saw that you said that she likes fries. If she really wants them she could cut up some potatoes (sweet or white) and toss them with a bit of olive oil. Put them in the oven at 400 degrees for around thirty minutes or until crisp. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve warm. This is a lot healthier alternative to deep fried fries but still delicious. Also, try ordering her some raw cashew cheese from Dr. Cow’s website. That should take care of her cheese cravings. Hope this helps!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

The obvious of avocados, nuts/seeds are already mentioned.

It’s also very important to get omegas in the diet – especially omega 3 (flax, walnuts, chia, and hemp are some sources). I’m researching all of this, too, because we’re getting to that stage where we’re going to try and have a baby.

I’ve blogged about it on occasion, from a HRAV (High Raw, All Vegan) perspective. You can visit my blog and do a search for “future mom” and “pregnant” to learn about the stuff I’m researching and doing myself. I go beyond diet in my topics… things you might be interested to learn about.

Cheers and Good Luck!!

Kristen Suzanne

• Once your wife is pregnant, I’d have her stay away from nuts, including while breastfeeding. I was eating a lot of nuts while pregnant and breastfeeding, and our doctors think this might be what caused my daughter’s nut allergies!

but avocados, coconuts, and lots of fresh fruits and veggies are ideal. :)

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Mmmm, I am not sure about eating nuts causing your child to be allergic to them. littlegems. I didn’t eat a single nut during my pregnancies (Where I come from, nuts are hardly ever used in food) and my daughter is VERY allergic to all nuts and and has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts. I don’t think there is a relationship there, in my experience.

• I know many raw foodies are opposed to nuts, but if you are not, let me put in a plug for almonds. Almonds have so many nutrients, lots of protein, wonderful fat, and a ton of folate (especially good for baby-making).

Good luck to you in your pregnancy! That’s really fun to be considering (and attempting ;> )