Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

OBAMA WON!!!!!

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

For the first time in my life, I am proud of my country.

And no matter who you voted for, you have to take pride in this history making election. The first African American President of the United States.

Somewhere out there, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is weeping tears of joy.

And so am I. :)

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

With unexpected tears streaming down my face, hope in my heart, and a renewed faith in the people of this country I am coming to my computer on this historic day to let you know how much I love you all!

Thank you so much for being in my life and the life of my family!

We HAVE overcome TODAY!

Much Love and Blessings! -Sunny (Spirited Mama)

• As we watched the crowd in Chicago weep tears of joy and hope and healing, my husband brought out two wine glasses and said, “A Toast: Here’s to the fact that our fate is not written. Here’s to a a future where we realize we are citizens not just of this country but of the world, and we can make our future.”

Well said. So many paradigms are overturned tonight. So many impossibilities overcome. But one of the most important paradigms that has been shifted for me is the idea that things are predictable and static. Life so often seems to impose obstacles that support the story, “You can’t do that.” I often believe that story, and hold myself back from the life I dream of living. Nights like tonight are a great reminder that those are just stories, not Truth.

So, here’s to a future as yet unwritten, and the power to shape it in the form of our dreams!

• definitely a huge deal

but the most important thing is to keep fighting the food fight for social justice movements. the real change will come from below, not above…but obama is a great start!

• Wahaay congrats!!!! change at last for you! that’s sooo cool – let’s hope he brings good things for ur country xxxx

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! (:

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

It is still sinking in…this and so many other amazing victories tonight.

Yes we can!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

His victory speech was very nice! I remember when he ran for Senator in Illinois – I voted for him. He was quite popular in the town I lived in. :)

I am very glad he won. I actually voted green party which never wins but I live in California which I knew Obama would win in anyhow so I wasn’t too worried about it. ;)

I am happy to see some different in office finally. I think we really need this and I think the time has definately come to have an African American in this sort of position. Not to sound crass but I am sort of tried of seeing the same old white dudes in office.

Next up – a WOMAN as president! :)

(on the joking side, I was half tempted to vote for my cat as a write-in :) My bf says lots of people do write-ins for their pets, dead people – apparently Jesus gets LOTS of votes. he he!)

I just got email from Farm Sancutary too – Prop 2 has passed in California! YAH! :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I cried so hard I almost barfed.

I grew up when black Americans were beaten in the streets for speaking their minds, so this election is really special to me. I”m still amazed that Americans got over themselves. I’m proud of them.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I’m english and I cried too! Millions of people all over the world are feeling relief and renewed hope for the future today.

• Tears of joy, tears of relief. I have never seen anything like this in my lifetime and am so glad to alive during this moment in history. TomsMom, I’m also proud of us—something I haven’t felt in a very, very long time. What a day!

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

An expanded US military…the illusion of a post-racial America and the accelerated ignorance of people who struggle…letting Wall St off the hook…

Oh, rejoice.

The quicker we realize that we still have to challenge Obama like we’ve never challenged before, the better…and the benefit is that challenging Obama is somewhat easier than McCain or let alone Bush. We must still advocate for change as change is not built into Mr. Obama…not by a long shot. Sadly, I don’t have much faith in the people to challenge Obama effectively as they are in love with him, especially minorities, and particularly blacks. So, what could be progress may actually be regression if he makes the American people that supported him more docile, which he appears to do. I hope I see some positive signs.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

So wonderful! I too cried tears of joy last night watching the coverage. I feel so proud of this country for electing Obama. I haven’t felt like this in a very long time.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I am so happy! And he won by such a landslide! :)

• It is a beautiful, beautiful day!

• I’m proud of the American people, too, voting for Obama rather than McCain. I was moved by the amount of HOPE so many people now have, and I too, have a lot- more so than if McCain/Palin were to have been elected. That huge amount of hope, in itself, is a beautiful start. Obama gave a great speach as he so well does. But I also agree with Cavsman that despite who is in office, he/she is only a starting point and it is still up to us to make sure we demand real and continued change and not become complacent and give our power away.

• cavsman and aspire, yes, it is still up to us demand real change and not become complacent. This has been 1 of the tenets of Obama’s message, and 1 of the reasons people have responded so deeply to him. It’s about personal responsibility and compassion-not just following a leader like sheep. I know it’s hard to feel hopeful after such a long period of complacency, but I do believe that with Obama, more people might be moved to action and become involved. Just look at what happened during his campaign-people DID get involved. I certainly hope the ball will keep rolling. I think it just might this time.

• here in seattle people were still screaming from joy and honking horns till 3am! Yup, we are stoked!

• I honestly thought this election was going to be much closer than it was. Can you say, LANDSLIDE? Yes we can :-) Gobama ‘08!

• I live in Canada and this election was ironically so much more important than my country’s federal election. I have never had such a strong hope and pride for America as I do now. Thank you all for voting for the right candidate.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Another hooray from Canada. If I could have snuck across the border and voted for Obama, I would have. Unfortunately, I got stuck having to choose one of moron A, B and C or some other nameless letters of the alphabet here in Canada in our election. Moron A won. I’m calling him that because half of the time I can’t even remember his name. I really hope that Obama can make a difference once he settles in to work trying to clean up the aftermath of the 8-year shitstorm that Dubya created.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I’m kind of sad to know that had McCain win that our nation would have “lost hope”. Man will always fail us. Not even Obama will exceed in pleasing us, he will fail in some ways, but I do believe he will do a lot of good, he got my vote. It felt kind of surreal watching his speech, knowing how historic of an event this will be, our children will read about this in their history books. This must be somewhat like when MLK gave his famous speech. I’m excited to see how the future will unfold and have faith God will work through Obama just like he would have McCain.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I have mixed feelings. I’m excited for what has happened historically and I anticipate the future. I’m very interested to know what will happen. But I too, like you Caleb don’t feel that this is going to change everything. We’re still in a war and it won’t be easy to get out. We still have a falling economy that won’t be easy to fix. The president has far less control of things than we think and though he has the power of speech it’s going to take a long time to bring about our country into what we want it to be.

I didn’t vote for Obama or McCain but I knew from a while ago that Obama would take it. I’m glad that he did and I hope he lives up to the promises he’s made. This is a great time in America for new beginnings. I hope and pray things go as we all want them to.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I am so happy for this historic day, but I still have some reservations about the fact that the debates were owned and ultimately our country is owned by CORPORATE AMERICA. I can only hope Obama will make changes in that regard and protect our food and supplements from codex alimentarius which is a new contract by WTO supposed to go into effect DEC 09 for all countries part of WTO must sign or opt out of WTO completely (wouldnt that be a dream) The battles we face are not over b/c every politician is somewhat owned by the rich corps and drug companies that help there campaign even OBAMA so we must still now more than ever make our voices heard, maybe with Dubya gone people will be less afraid and will fill the streets more again.

Be happy and rejoice but dont blind yourself that some savior has come b/c there are way more people behind Obama with power and now that he has won they will inevitably try to pull his strings.

Peace&LOVE

• So true and very well said Vegan2Raw!

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Thank you Aspire I liked what you had to say also.

We have to help people stay in reality.

• I am finally proud to be an American, too! This was my first time being old enough to vote for president(I’m 21)...and what a victory!! I am so proud of my country…I have never been able to say that!!

• am i the only one who is unhappy? congrats to all of you, maybe ill be surprisedd….

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

For those of you saying you are “JUST NOW” proud to be an American why did it take electing a new President that happens to be Black and Democrat? Should our pride come fro who is President? Shouldn’t it come from the fact that we have many freedoms other countries don’t? I don’t see what’s different. History has just repeated itself. American’s get feed up with one man and elect a new one. It may even happen again. I’m not trying to cause dissension, I am just curious. It seems many have their hope in the wrong things. I agrfee with vegan2raw as well. Obama is not a savior.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I by no means think that Obama is a saviour (believe it or not though I made the second post on this string…I didn’t even vote for him. I voted liberatarian). The sentiment of my post is that I am happy to see an african american as president. It’s a start, hopefully, in a change of consciousness.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

People are right to be proud, Caleb.

Only someone who thinks being a defeatist is fashionable would be so crude as to crap on those who are proud to have supported a black president.