Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

OBAMA WON!!!!!

Comments

• Caleb, I relate to what you are saying in some small degree. I think Obama being elected president is certainly a valid source of pride for americans. However, I am surprised that people are finding it the first time or instance they have been able to find a reason for such pride. America is deeply flawed – it was built and enriched by the blood of slaves. Its leaders and people have perpetuated great wrongs, including the rounding up of Japanese citizens during WWII, the treatment of black people both prior to and post emancipation, the failure to help the Jews during WWII when it was able to, and the current economic implosion. However, America has offered freedoms to its citizens and residents which are hard if not impossible to find elsewhere. It has led the world on so many occassions – economically, socially, artistically – and it is still a country where other people dream of living. If you have never been proud of your country before, maybe you are not realistically comparing its problems with those of other countries.

That said, Caleb, I strongly disagree with your statement that “Man will always fail us.” Only if you place the blind trust and unrealistic expectations of an idol or god-figure in a man should you be setting yourself up for being failed. A man is a man – whether he be your favorite professor, your spiritual leader, or your president. Men are not without flaws, and it is silly to expect them to become so because of a new title or elected post. Obama does not need to deliver us up to salvation in order to not fail us. He just has to bring the judgment, intelligent, passion, and compassion which we see in him with him to office. He will not and cannot single-handedly rescue this country. But he can captain it back to a course that makes sense in terms of what this country stands for and what our place in the world is to be. I know it boils down to different beliefs, but I feel it is unfair to the candidates to say that hopefully it won’t matter, as G-d will work through Obama just as he would have worked through McCain. I personally think this is stripping man of all his power and self-determination and saying that everything he does is controlled by some being whom you have defined – regardless of whether others define it differently. Obama will work through Obama. His belief in G-d may influence his moral decisions, but I feel it is a blind diservice to paint him as a puppet whose voice and actions are supplied by some puppeteer whose existence is uncertain. Though, if G-d will be working through Obama, then I guess you need to accept all of his decisions and actions as those of G-d and not criticize him or feel that he has failed you – as G-d is not failable. I know this is not really your position stated accurately – but I think it is the logical extension of your point. Then again, I’m one of those people who is disgusted when the winner of a football game seems to think a deity determined the outcome of a field goal.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Dangy, my belief is rooted in my faith in God. I believe man is by his very nature sinful and we constantly hurt and abuse each other, so we will always fail one another in some way. I believe God is sovereign over all things and will use whatever decisions Obama makes for ultimate good, even if those decisions them self are evil they somehow fit into his eternal plan. Just look through the Bible and you will see tons of examples of God using sinful human beings to accomplish his purpose even in sin itself.

I’m disturbed by man Christian’s reactions to this ellection responding with things like, “oh no, hold on to your wallets”, “I fear for our country”, “the sky is falling, blah, blah, etc, etc”. I see the proper response as a recognizing God ordained this and they should pray for our new President-elect not respond in fear. My faith lies in God and not Obama or Bush or McCain. It just saddens me to not see more Christians support the decision that was made.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Caleb-for your encouragement I must say I know many Christians who support Obama. I personally didn’t feel right about voting either McCain or Obama. I’m very excited to see what Obama has in store for our country and I definitely support him in his office.

• I think it is so sad to hear that something as positive as “faith” is rooted in something so negative as thinking that all human beings are – to their very core and essence – sinful and destined to always fail one another. I feel sad for you that you don’t believe in man’s inherent goodness and capability. Your religious beliefs are of course your own and are not to be argued against – but I hope that over time your faith evolves to include faith in human beings as well as in G-d.

dagny-The ‘good’ I believe humans have is conscience. We’re sinful in nature. We are selfish beings and do things that profit ourselves. There are many wonderful people in the world who do wonderful things and over come their sinful nature in many ways but we are never perfect and cannot be so on our own. We all have consciences that give us a sense of what is right but you can’t ignore our humanity.

I have faith in people and trust people daily but that doesn’t mean I expect them to be perfect or expect one man to completely turn around a country that has been going in one direction for a long time.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I think people are excited and “proud” mostly because someone different is finally in office – and not just talking about the color of Obama’s skin. I mean, after 8 years of Bush – people are relieved for a possible change. I honestly think we need a woman president for once.

No of course Obama won’t be perfect and I am sure not everything won’t go perfectly according to plan but I for one need a little beacon of hope. Obama stance on many things seem to point towards doing things differently for a change and that is what America needs in my opinion. What wrong with trying a different direction for once? Who knows most Americans – even the Republicans – might be happy with it.

I definatley don’t want to get it the religious debate that seems to be starting in this thread but one thing that upsets me about elections are people who just vote for a candidate based on their religion. I don’t believe that religion should even be a factor when voting. I mean, if you were a boss and interviewing someone for job, it would be considered discrimination to hire or not hire the person based on religion. Should be no different here – we should be voting for the person who we think will do the best job based on what we need. God or no God – a peson can be a good person whether they are religous or not. There are plenty of God-believers that are nasty people. God and religion, in my opinion, should have no place in politics. Unfortunately, in it sinks.

I remember watching a documentary after Bush won the second time and they went interviewing people around the country and asking those who voted for Bush why they did. Almost all of them said because of his religion. Of course who knows if they included all the interviews in there but I think it is sad that that is the case. If I thought someone was going to an excellent job, I honestly would not care what religion or not that they were. I honestly thing it would be better to have an agnostic president because they might be less biased.

I think the green party is going to start to gain more popular vote because of the environment.

yeah, I’m not into voting with religion. I couldn’t stand the thought of McCain because not only was I afraid he would be Bush-like but I think it’s about time to have something radically different. I’m all for the separation of church and state because I think imposed religion is the worst thing possible.

I think it’s awesome we finally broke the white trend and I hope this opens up more opportunities for minorities all over.

• I cried too. Right there in front of my T.V. I’ve never cried like that before, it was a happy sobbing from the heart cry.

I loved the part in Barak’s speech when he said, “I need your help”. I feel like we all can make a difference. We needed this to be more united. It’s a chance for us to look past our differences, race, religion, gender. Not only uniting us but, maybe just maybe—the world. It’s a time for other countries to look at us in a different new light. I’m just so happy and hopeful. It’s a feeling of wanting to do more, to help more, to be more understanding, and just the feeling that really anything is within our reach. Of course this healing will take time it will be painful, and I’m sure there will be bumps in the road, after all we are all human. But, with a UNITED States of America ther is so much possibility of good

I’ve always felt very proud and fortunate to be an American. But, last night I felt it from the heart.

• Although I did not vote for Obama (or McCain), I love seeing hw much people all over our country and the WORLD are so full of hope and excitement that things will, and HAVE, started changing for the better and are feeling more empowered by it. As Obama said,”He needs us,” and I hope that we will all continue to demand more and more positive changes so our country (and then all countries) will continue to move in the direction of positive change with true equality in civil rights, treatment, and opportunity, and in true democracy and freedom for all people. Although Obama is not, nor cannot be a “Savior” (as no one can truly save us except our own selves), I hope Obama’s election and leadership, by example and impetus, will continue to inspire and empower individuals to recognize and reclaim their own innate power to help themselves do better, think better, and act better! Then we will see the world change, one by one, bit by bit, yet spreading exponentially.

• Oh my God you guys!!! I cannot explain as an African American woman the emotions that I feel about Obama winning the election!!! And guess what else? ..NOVEMBER 4TH WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!! That was the greatest birthday gift I could have ever received and I will never forget that day!

When The First Family of the United States of America walked humbly out onto that stage…I almost fainted, then to see both families (president and vice president) standing there together.what a glorious moment! OK I’m tearing up now. This is Dr. Martin Luther King’s dream come true and we are alive to see it!

I’m proud of Obama too ..for having the guts to run for president despite the threats. I voted for him, but if I had thought that he would do a boot-leg job as president, I wouldn’t have voted for him no matter what his skin color.

I feel a new sense of pride living in the United States now. I can’t even explain how I feel after seeing people of all races pulling together, casting their vote, celebrating over the victory, hugging on each other! I lived in the south for 6 years and experienced racism there, but despite what some black people that I have talked to have said, I always maintained that not all white people are racist. I knew this from experience and this obviously showed by this election.

What I like about Obama the most is that he is a president for ALL people, not just blacks and I did not vote for him solely on the fact that he is black. (But actually, he is bi-racial) I am looking forward to the great sense of union that the presidency will bring amongst people of different races, nationalities and cultures. I even foresee dating outside of one’s race becoming more tolerant, afterall, we really all are the same at the core. I am looking forward to the improvements in society and our economy, healthcare…all of it!

I can’t wait to bring our troups home!!!!!! yayyy Obama!!!

• I just read a few more posts and I would like to say that..H to the LL yea I feel a new sense of pride! ...and I don’t apologize for it. I have always been grateful to live in the USA, but I feel a new sense of HOPE now. we’ve done some disgraceful things as a nation in the past but now it seems that people are beginning to have a new awareness. When I lived in Mexico for 4 and 1/2 months, I realized what a wasteful, greedy, self-serving society we are as a whole. After talking with people who thought their votes as a minority race would not matter, this election showed me that our voices do matter, and that people want change and we can make it happen.

No, Obama is not the saviour of us all, and change starts with us, but people like us on this site who really care about issues such as the environment can make a difference! There truly is power in numbers.

I see us uniting as a nation! So yea…to go from being a racist society that would not even allow black people to vote and would beat you if you thought about it tto electing a black president? ....heck yea I feel a NEW sense of pride …and hope in America and I don’t apologize for that! uhn!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

TomsMom, I Just saw your reply before my other one. I think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn’t trying to crap on anybody’s pride. I was just curious as to why people did not take pride in their country before now. I think their was plenty to be proud of. I have seen many comments to the extent of “I an finally be proud of America, or I’m so proud of American’s”. Yes I am too and I applaud the amazing voter turnout, but It seems to me based on what people are saying is they weren’t proud before and I was curious as to why.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I’m not even proud now lol. I think America is considered the greatest country on earth due to the wealth here. But you judge an industrialized country by how they treat their people, even if they are poor or even prisoners – and we are outdone by 10s of countries. I couldn’t be any more proud of America than I am of humans in general (am I even proud of humans today?), as compared to other industrialized countries, is lagging in everything except wealth.

And Obama makes me hardly prouder of America. I guess I’ll explain when I have time.

• As for me, I am grateful to live in the USA but I can’t say that I am all that proud of how this glass ceiling society treats people, is wasteful, and destroys the earth, etc. I’m feeling a new sense of hope now though. I guess I’ll say that I am proud of what America is potentially becoming.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Like many, I am feeling a novel emotion… pride in my country. BUT… it is NOT because we have elected a Black democrat… it is because now the MAJORITY of Americans finally stood up and said “Hey! WE ARE NOT CORPORATE RICH WHITE BASTARDS ANYMORE. We are a people of every race, and we value democracy!

When I saw McCain and his wife—all I could think of is that their image USED TO represent America. That image has not represented us for many many years now, and finally people have been so inspired by the hope that Obama radiates that we, as a nation, said NO MORE.

We as a nation voted to fix our tarnished reputation, to show the world that there are millions of people here who are NOT LIKE THE BUSHES.

I could go on an on…

but that’s why I am proud for the first time, of my fellow Americans

and, everytime I think about the FACT that we have elected an African American to be president I cry… it is so profoundly meaningful…

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I am with thecavsman on this one. It is hard for me to be proud to be an American, as I believe nationalism, like many religions, is divisive. Anything that serves to put one group of people against another is bad for the planet, its inhabitants, and from a purely selfish perspective, it is bad for me as an individual. The world would be a better place, and the quality of life of all would be elevated with fewer divisions and boundaries, and more compassion. Though humans are at their core animals, and as such act on survival instincts that lead to selfishness, we have evolved an intellect that should allow us to transcend our biological programming, at least enough to allow for enough selflessness to care for one another.

Of course, none of this is goping to happen in any one lifetime, and electing Obama over McCain makes me more hopeful we are moving on this path. So though I am not proud to be an american, I am proud of what america has done and said with this election, and more hopeful for the future than I have been in some time.

• Great points Stevio.

Along those lines- what do you guys think of this… food for thought?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqN2EKuXX2g&feat… – part I, 10 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo29Oa-e61I&feat… – part II, 10 min

I feel hopeful seeing so many regaining their hope and, hopefully, their self empowerment (one voice can count) by Obama’s win. Although I hope and want to believe he will preside with integrity and for the betterment of all people, information like this (along with lots of other out there) is exactly why we must remain vigilant in not giving away our own innate individual power to think, decide, and act for ourselves (not in a selfish “One man is an Island” manner, but like Stevio points out above). Have hope that Obama will help bring about true and needed change, but do not be blinded by his image either, and do your own thinking and researching.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

I’m extremely happy that Obama won because he is an intelligent, conscientious, eloquent, level-headed man who seems to have a great understanding of the serious issues that our country is facing. The fact that he can smile warmly (not cynically like BUSH, CHENEY, RUMSFELD and the lot) and laugh occasionally is a nice plus.

Furthermore Obama is not erratic or quick to become angry or too willing to erase the line separating church and state like John McCain.
    It bothers me to no end how some ‘Christians’ seem to believe that our country was founded on Christianity. IT WAS NOT!!!
    The Constitution is a SECULAR document.
    I’m tired of the God-this and God-that angle. PLEASE!!!
    Some of us do not believe in God – or at least not the “Bible’s” creation of a God.
    I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again – The First Amendment was enacted for a REASON. So please, let’s all stop trying to paint others with our own ‘religious’ feelings. Or I’m going to have to start quoting from The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster
    http://www.venganza.org/
    Honestly – If you want to follow a particular religion — GOOD FOR YOU! But please don’t PROJECT your NON-SECULAR ‘views’ on EVERYONE ELSE.

• Here’s to seeing the New America

- I’m sure he will bring change to the good, and we will have to remember that he is human and he cannot wave a magic wand -he even said as much. it will all take time, but he is what the world needed to have in order to create change.

• I have been so proud of my Country, and the people in my Country, so many times. People die trying to get to the freedoms that we have.

On another note, this is just sick, and don’t look at it if you cannot stomach it. Muslims in Turkey, sacrificing lambs, in celebration of Obama’s Presidential victory. NOT a country, or a group to be proud of. WTF??!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Barack-Obama-pres…

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Caleb, To your thought about Obama getting to be President. You said it may may be God ordained and Christians should stand by what God ordained. (my paraphrase) I would like to bring out that the Jews wanted a King over them instead of God. He told them what would happen and then when they still wanted a King He allowed it, but look what has happened.

I will pray for our new President and all those in office as that is what God has asked Christians to do, but I will never side with a person that has contrary beliefs to Gods Word.

Kendra, I am sorry you think me as a wasteful, greedy, self-serving person, as I make up part of the American Society.

I guess I should not be proud to be an American until a full blooded Jew is a President. Guess that would make me a real American then.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Good Grief Beany! Your whole hateful entry is the REASON why our country has the FIRST AMENDMENT.
    It is to PROTECT people from Religious persecution and to ALLOW them Religious Freedom. But this freedom comes with the RESPONSIBILITY to RESPECT other people and the fact that they may choose a Religion OTHER THAN YOURS!
    Furthermore the First Amendment recognizes that issues of Church & State should not be intermingled as that would invite such persecution of those who ‘differ’.

Whether you choose to be “Proud” to be an American is your option. No one is holding a gun to your head honey. But I feel bad for you if you are holding your breath until every American is a Christian.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Kendra, that is awesome that Nov. 4th was also your birthday! Well, Happy Birthday!!!:-)

• Thank you Tom’smom! Blessings to you! ;-)

• What in the world are you talking about Beany? Did I say “Beany is a self-serving, wasteful…blah blah blah?” Read the statement again and stop putting words in my mouth lady.

Compared to other nations, many here in the US are wasteful and take for granted the priviledges that they have, but there are some individuals who are not. Money rules this society as a whole and of course that doesn’t mean this is true for EVERY individual. When I say as a whole I mean that this seems to be the image that the United States people have. I have asked many people from other countries what they think of Americans and they think Americans are snobs. As far as what I see, I see more greed, selfishness and wastefulness than compassion. Love and compassion are the exception in my opinion. I see things changing for the better though.

So if you feel a conviction about what I said then that’s YOUR issue. This is my opinion and I’m entitled to it.

As I said before, if I had thought that Obama would be a boot-leg president I would not have voted for him no matter what his race or color. But I am proud and I’ll say it again…I AM PROUD TO HAVE OBAMA AS MY PRESIDENT! I think he’s going to do some good…I hope so!

Oh and if you are mad because I’m proud of having a black president…too bad honey! ...deal with it! ...deal wit’ it!

• What in the world are you talking about Beany? Did I say “Beany is a self-serving, wasteful…blah blah blah?” Read the statement again and stop putting words in my mouth lady.

Compared to other nations, many here in the US are wasteful and take for granted the priviledges that they have, but there are some individuals who are not. Money rules this society as a whole and of course that doesn’t mean this is true for EVERY individual. When I say as a whole I mean that this seems to be the image that the United States people have. I have asked many people from other countries what they think of Americans and they think Americans are snobs. As far as what I see, I see more greed, selfishness and wastefulness than compassion. Love and compassion are the exception in my opinion. I see things changing for the better though.

So if you feel a conviction about what I said then that’s YOUR issue. This is my opinion and I’m entitled to it.

As I said before, if I had thought that Obama would be a boot-leg president I would not have voted for him no matter what his race or color. But I am proud and I’ll say it again…I AM PROUD TO HAVE OBAMA AS MY PRESIDENT! I think he’s going to do some good…I hope so!

Oh and if you are mad because I’m proud of having a black president…too bad honey! ...deal with it! ...deal wit’ it!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Awesome, Kendra!

(and thanks for the blessings, so sweet)

• Kendra, just want to say that I am also extremely proud to have Obama as president. Each day, my husband and I look at each other and say “Is Obama still president elect, or am I dreaming?” This is not just because he is the first black president (which is extraordinary in itself), but because he is a man of true intellect and with a world view unlike any other president we’ve had. He is also a truly conscious individual who has written poignantly about his struggles with identity and basically being a fatherless son. I am a white chick, and as truly happy I am with the outcome of this election, I don’t think any white person can truly understand what this means for African Americans. I think this is the start of something really big in this country, and I’m so happy to be here at this moment in history to see it. I think we will be a better nation because of it.

• Thank you Tomsmom and Mon46! It is such a huge stepping stone for our nation to have Obama as president! This election proves that barriers and boundaries are being broken down. We really can achieve anything and be anything we want to be in this country. I wasn’t too sure before. But this makes me proud to be an American.

You may not be of African decent as I am, but you have just as much right to share in the pride and happiness. We’ve grown up as a nation when people can vote for a candidate based upon merit and what changes the candidate can possibly bring about instead of basing one’s vote on skin color. That’s a huge deal!

I actually feel the love between the races and cultures and this is a beautiful thing to me. This is a new way of thinking for us. I look forward to what Obama will do for ALL people.

• beany, on behalf of all Jews, please don’t ever mention us again. we seem to be able to speak just fine for ourselves. shalom.