Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Prop 2 in California Passed!!!!!

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I am so happy about this election result in CA. I couldn’t vote since I live in Vermont but I feel so good about donating to this campaign. Here’s an email I received from the Humane Society US:

Take a bow. You rewrote history for animals.

Thanks to you, 20 million animals in California will soon be spared the worst abuses of factory farms. And I’m confident that we’ll look back at Prop 2 as a pivotal moment in how our nation treats animals who are raised for food.

Early returns tonight show that more than 60% of Californians voted for Prop 2. This is a tremendous victory for animals, for The Humane Society of the United States…and for you. We were able to reach millions of California voters with our message of compassion only because you stood with us—by taking action, by donating to the campaign, and by telling those you knew in California about Prop 2 and what it would do for animals and for citizens there.

This was a momentous election for the nation. I’m so grateful and honored for everything you did to make Prop 2 a big part of the story. Please read my blog over the coming days for my take on Prop 2 and what it means for animal protection.

It may be a cliché to say that “we couldn’t have done it without you.” But it’s so utterly true. Thank you.

Sincerely, Wayne Pacelle President & CEO The Humane Society of the United States

Comments

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Here’s the link

http://www.yesonprop2.com/

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

This is so great. :)

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

AWESOME!!!! More winds of change on the move…

• I’m so happy to hear this! I’m originally from CA (live in Ohio now) but my mom still lives out there and I made sure that she voted yes on prop 2! It’s such an important issue and one that seems like a no-brainer to me. It was hard for me to accept the fact that people would actually vote no. Glad it passed :-)

• Wonderful news!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

This is such great news! Hooray for progress. :)

• Great news! Hopefully a mere step in doing away with all inhumane practices of (food) animals! I really wish Californians would have voted down Prop 8. (Ban on gays being able to have the same basic rights as all humans and marry.) That really saddens (and disugusts) me that people can still be so bigoted and prejudiced in fear and hatred.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

This is beautiful and I hope my state WA follows suit along with the whole US wouldnt that be GREAT next step VEgan president to show the country it can be done

• haha! Go Kucinich!! Vegan and awesome!! :)

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

It’s just a shame about Prop 8… The result really surprised me.

Wow, that’s terrible about Prop 8. I’m truly disgusted and surprised by all the people in CA who voted against basic human and civil rights. One step backwards for mankind!

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Yeah!!! I was so worried it might not pass. The opposition had such great scare ads and I hadn’t seen a single ad pro. I don’t watch a lot of tv though. Those of us with nonvegan family need to remember to check if our eggs are CA raised so we can support this prop. I usually get cage-free brown eggs from TJs but if you don’t buy cage-free definitely by CA eggs NOT eggs from Mexico where the animals have no protection.

On another good note. I just heard that Massachuesetts passed a law to outlaw greyhound racing by the year 2010. I had gotten some information from the Regional New England Humane Society about how mistreated those poor dogs are in the unfair and cruel practice of dog racing. Another step in the right direction for animals

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

A great move for animals, but sad that California decided that gays are not a part of their society(Prop 8).

Of course, the state will still gobble up their tax money:-)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

JoyceH, are they really going to ban it?? That’s great!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I live in Cali right now. I was happy to be able to vote Yes on Prop 2 and No on Prop 8. I biked over to the voting place yesterday with my ballot. I love the animals and the gays! ;)

I was very surprised this morning when I found out that Prop 8 was passed – there are signs all over SF for No on Prop 8 so I thought for sure it was in the hole. SF has a big gay population.My bf said that people in the rural areas here might have voted for it which was why this happened. Also it is possible to that some traditional foreigners voted for it – there are lots of traditional Asians around here too. I am not saying that is what happened – just a few theories of who might have voted for the ban.

I think most Californians are pro-gay – at least in the cities here. It is very surprising to me that this happened.

TomsMom – here’s the info on banning dog racing from the New England HS website:

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/pres…

So glad dog racing will be banned!

• Question 3 passed!!!!!!!! (No more greyhound racing in Massachusettes!!!)