Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Craving beans- what to do?

FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

Last night I the most intense desire for cooked beans. I didn’t have any soaked of course, so I steamed a little tempeh and ate it plain. I completely curbed my cravings and i felt satisfied. What nutrient was I craving that was in beans? What raw equivalent could I eat next time I want beans, say I’m not prepared with sprouted garbanzo or lentil?

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

What’s the harm in whipping up some cooked split red lentil soup? It’ll be ready in 30 minutes or less. I’d be inclined to listen to those cravings. I happen to think there’s a lot of goodness in cooked legumes, even if your body has to work a little harder to digest them. Maybe something is missing from your diet? It might not be a bad idea to soak and cook some garbanzos, then let them cool off and store them in small airtight containers in the freezer. That way, you’ll have them at the ready. You may only need a bite or two to satisfy that craving, so it’s nice to have small containers handy.

Since you’re obviously a legume fan, why not sprout small amounts, using a new type each day? That way, you’ll have something ready anytime a craving hits. I tried sprouting black eyed peas and garbanzos and they were pretty good. I’ve bought sprouted adzuki beans and lentils, which were both yummy. I wouldn’t eat any in large quantity, but a sprinkle on a salad hits the spot.

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

the thing is that generally i don’t prefer beans, grains, or nuts. I’ve always loved fruit, veggies, avocados, and seeds. lately though all i want is beans and grains! strange, but I’ll start sprouting some garbanzos today!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

if you crave beans, i say eat them. relative to the majority of cravings you could have, legumes are extremely healthy! (you know you’re on the right health track when you start craving beans…)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

In general wouldn’t beans be protein? If you wanted to stay more raw why not have some of the high super powders ready. Maca and mesquite is one of my kitchen staples. Am going to get Lucuma soon and see if my system likes it. Maca I use in green smoothies and mesquite is good to use in grains and buckwheat.

If you desire certain beans, you could look up that bean and see what nutrients it is high in. Could be that is what your body needs.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Lately (4 weeks) I have been craving pasta and cooked beans. Today I had both, pasta fagioli. Whenever I crave something I allow myself to have it. I went app. 3 months full raw except some condiments. Prior to that, I ate high raw with between 2 to 5 small servings of cooked food a week.

Raw food isn’t a dogma for me and I don’t consider an occasional cooked item, or a few weeks of a cooked item daily, a sin. I will get through this phase, that seemed to start when the weather turned cold. Whatever it is, it will pass. Right now, it makes me feel sustained and I evidently need that.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I’ve found that if I combine 3 cups of soaked Sunflower Seeds (washed, soaked 6 hours, rinsed well, drained) with 1 Avocado in my Food Processor, I get the exact texture of cooked beans. This mixture is also very bland which is very bean like. Make sure you add some flavor.

You can put bean sized bits of this in your dehydrator to make cooked beans or bean bits. I just spread it out on a dehydrator tray about a half inch thick and then use what I need from there. Chunks of this are great in soups or salads.

• I use a recipe for “Instant Refried Beans” from back in the Y2K era. Its easy and VERY handy on flat breads with veggies & salsa!

http://goneraw.com/recipes/4156-Instant-Refried…

thanks for the responses! farmschooler: can you eat raw, unsprouted beans? I thought they contained tannins or other toxins that require cooking or sprouting.

chriscarlton: thanks for the raw idea! Are sunflower seeds nutritional equivalents of beans? I don’t always care for sprouted beans, but I guess I do go through phases.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

it might be iron you crave. the seeds and nuts should help you get the iron you need. also some dulse.

ClaireT

that’s really interesting bitt! I didn’t know beans were high iron. I am very anemic. I have started taking iron supplements again so that should help.

ClaireT
  • ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I was going to say iron. Isn’t it wonderful. I crave beans these days, too. A year ago it would have been ice cream or cookies, now I crave cooked beans on corn tortilla with salsa, guac, etc, ya know, a taco? I give in once in a while

Eat some lentil soup, it’ll pass.

ClaireT
  • B12deficientB12deficient Raw Newbie

I've been craving beans seeds and nuts for quite a while.  I have just found out I am severely deficient in vitamin B12.

I've started taking supplements while I wait for my rheumatology appointment to find out why I am deficient.  I am already feeling much better and have my energy back for the most part.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

B12 can be hard to come by outside of supplements. I usually take some just to be careful.