Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Comments

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I actually don’t totally disagree with these articles, which is why, personally, I’m not 100% raw. I think a balanced diet consists of a mixture of cooked and raw vegetables, depending on what type of veggie it is (e.g. to get the wonderful benefits of a potato, you must cook it because consuming them raw can be toxic). Same with certain mushrooms, etc. Don’t get me wrong – while eating at least 50-75% raw foods I feel much better than when I’m eating 0-25%, but I know that I still need some cooked foods to be at my healthiest – eating raw broccoli one day and steamed the next – it balances out the enzyme/nutrient absorption for me well (there are some nutrients in broccoli that cannot be absorbed unless it is heated).

Thanks for posting these links! I’m sure I’ll be attacked now, but I’m just voicing my opinion about myself – I’m a firm believer that everyone should listen to their own body in deciding what to eat/not eat!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Have you read about the Himalayan Hunza people? They ate very small amounts of cooked meat. Their diet consists primarily of fresh fruits. I see the bread argument (read below) but since I don’t digest bread (or sprouted raw bread, for that matter) I can’t really eat bread. They lived to be at least 120 years old and remained active and vigorous at that age. I can digest raw food but not cooked and that’s what matters to me.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/land_of_hunza.htm

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Everyone has their opinion. And not enough study has been done on long term raw foodists.

Do your research, keep an open mind, don’t believe everything you read and most importantly listen to your own body and do what makes you feel best.

I like to eat as much raw as I can and am finally completely vegan (but my shoes and the next pair i buy will not be leather) but I do like to eat some cooked beans and and steamed veges or potato now and again. A steamed carrot or some cooked beans is not going to make or break my health and well being but worrying about it too much might

Relax and enjoy. Stress is as much of a killer as bad food choices.

• Don’t worry Khaas Ladki I agree with you, which is why I will probably drop down to 80% in the long run. I want to experiment with completely raw first though.

• Don’t worry Khaas Ladki I agree with you, which is why I will probably drop down to 80% in the long run. I want to experiment with completely raw first though.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I’ve had periods where I’m 100% Raw and periods where I’m HRAV (High Raw – All Vegan) – like I am currently. With both diets, I feel great. I think balance is important, as well as changing seasons, where you’ve been in the past with your diet, what your goals are, etc. There is so much to consider, it’s all very personal. One thing I frequently tell people is to “listen to your own body” and make changes as deemed necessary.

I also like what Ungrateful wrote above about stress.

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

wow, am I the only one who sees the out-and-out falsehoods in that first article?

Look, if you don’t want to eat 100 percent raw, you don’t need to. The only thing I see here is justification for desires in diet.

• I think living food is better than cooked food. I do like warmth but it’s a preference, especially when it’s chilly. I agree about fluids. I drink hot tea.

• the key point a lot of people miss is that the main problem with the SAD diet is not thats its cooked – its that the staples are flesh, dairy, grains, beans, refined sugar, refined oil. SAD is low in fiber and high in starch and coagulated fats/proteins which create wax-like deposits in the liver ad gallbladder. this blockage of bile flow is THE PRIMARY CAUSE of just about every disease in the body.

so we shouldnt put so much energy into arguing about raw vs cooked and what temperature enzymes are destroyed at and if eating one cooked vegetable meal a week is going to kill us. clear away the bile blockage with liver/gb flushes (it takes 20-30 flushes for the avg adult), get your intestine functioning again, do some heavy metal detox and anti parasite herbs, and then enjoy life.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

For me its the simplest thing, I ate organic vegan food before going raw for 3.5 years, I ate a “balanced” diet, some fruits, some veggies and greens, and different types of grains, beans ect`, I was very far from a SAD diet, yet when I went raw I felt much much better, more energy, generally more happy\positive, feeling also more creative and as if my mind is booming with new ideas and more, so for me there is no argument, raw is better, no matter what the nutritionists say, and what researches say, my body has told me what is better for me.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

d&z—i’m wary of food science. “nutritionists” know far less than they claim. our understanding of the human body and what nutrients in foods do what is akin to a baby’s understanding of their foot.

here’s a better test than logic: intuition.

see how certain things make you feel and decide based on that. in winter, i feel better eating some steamed vegetables at night. not sure whether that’s because i have only been doing this one year, or whether it will be long term.

my food philosophy: don’t get attached to your label. =) it’s ok to “eat raw” without “BEING 100% raw.” i think when food becomes an identity, there’s a problem.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I think there are benefits to eating both but, based on what I have read, it seems you really need to eat at least 50% raw (although I prefer at least 80% based on how I feel).

While I have found a few things in macrobiotic theory that don’t make sense to me, macrobiotics asserts that you must be abnormally healthy to uptake nutrition from raw foods. This is one of the things that I don’t find plausible. Scientific studies regarding food prep such as juicing or using high speed blenders to obliterate plant cell walls prove that the nutrition is immediately bioavailable.

The first article in the original post here states that macrobiotics is the only diet proven to cure cancer. I think Gerson’s therapy has done the same thing and may have even done a better job documenting it. While Gerson’s remedy includes the drinking of app. 20 lbs of organic fruits/veggies per day, it also includes eating raw and cooked fruits/veggies too. Like macrobiotics, the secret is getting rid of unnatural, processed items and flesh, sugar, coffee, etc.

I enjoy eating high raw but don’t feel as well when I try to go 100% raw vegan. This is my personal position and surely everyone’s body is different.

• mjmackeymjmackey Raw Newbie

The only thing all experts agree on is a high amount of fruits in vegtables are great for you. I don’t think it matters whether they are raw or cooked. I prefer a balence of both.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i think it depends on what your needs are. and i think those needs can change. for example if you need to lose weight or have been eating a very unhealthy diet, it is might be best for you to eat all raw so you can detox and lose weight. but for some people, they need things that are more easily obtained in cooked food such as iron.

i am in a mode of experimentation as i have met my goal weight and i am struggling with health issues such as low iron. so i have to figure out what i need. and when i was really sick with a cold, miso soup is what got me over it. so i believe in the power of healthy cooked food.

The only cooked things I eat are once in a while cooked potato puree and tomato broth. One’s diet should have mostly fruits and vegetables but for me sometimes a little cooked fruit or soup is really good.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

Different people have different bodies. We are all so diverse that there isn’t just one universal standard. Everyone decides for themselves by the knowledge they have and their own instinct.

I agree. A diet for me is mostly fruit, whether it be in fresh, dried, or frozen form, (mostly fresh) microgreens, and some raw vegetables and occasionally soaked nut dishes. I don’t mind a bowl of cooked vegan broth or juice or fruit etc. but when it starts getting into milk, wheat, (any grain) and meat, I wouldn’t dive into that. I’m sure for most people some cooked vegetables would be fine.