Raw Almond Butter

germin8germin8 Raw Master

When I go to Trader Joe’s, I see the “raw almond butter”. I do not buy it, because the almonds were not germinated. (At least that is what I’m thinking) So, does processing them into a butter do something to these enzyme inhibitors? Like get rid of them? Are they still there if I eat this “raw almond butter”?

Thanks.

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Well, I used to buy Trader Joes nuts (I still have a few half bags left). My guess is that, right now, they are already pasteurizing almonds (that is what I have heard) so the raw almond butters (esp the non -organic) are probably not truely raw anymore (not that Trader Joes Raw nuts or butters ever were raw anyhow I am told)

I am not sure about the processing of their nut buttters. If I buy nut butters I normally buy raw organic and I haven’t ever bought Trader Joes but my guess is that Trader Joes does not germinate their nuts first. They just ground them up and I am sure the temps probably reach higher than allowed in our raw food diet. So, I am thinking that the enzyme are probably killed off. I mean, they make alot of that stuff and being raw isn’t Trader Joes main concern.So the quicker the butters get made the better – temps might not be taken into consideration.

I have no real source of this – is it just my guess based on what other raw foodists have told me about their raw nuts (they are starting to get some organic raw nuts in – I noticed that last time I went there) that they are not really raw. Sorry, it is disappointing I know. One friend said that most of Trader Joes nuts come from a regular nut company like Blue Diamond who might not be concerned with the “real” raw-ness of the nuts (as far as being careful about temps and such)

I was still buying cashews from them for a while even though I knew the cashews were not truly raw but if you are not a purist I guess that part isn’t really important.

I would be more worried about the pasteurization thing now. I am not going to buy any nuts from Trader Joes any more – butters or whole nuts.

Not sure if I answered your question but I hope I helped out a bit?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, I thought the same thing, queenfluff. I figured when they were processed to a butter they would be exposed to heat. So, it’s basically like buy roasted almond butter – no? I wonder what the difference is there. Roasting requires heat. wonders Is it the process of heating that makes them different? ...but both still cooked.

Thanks for the reply.

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

Trader Joe's contracts with Maranatha whose "raw" almond butter is made from pasteurized almonds and is ground without regard to temperature. You are NOT getting a raw product from either company.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Even if nut butters are heated warmer than what we'd consider "raw" during the grinding process, they still are not heated to a temperature that's anywhere near as high as the roasting temperature for nuts. This makes a big difference in terms of flavor, and might make a difference in terms of the leukocytes produced upon eating, though I don't know for sure.

In any case, regardless of the grinding temperature, the process of grinding nuts into butter doesn't do anything to remove the enzyme inhibitors. I think.

Anyway, as far as I know, the Better Than Roasted butters are the only ones that soak and dehydrate their nuts before (low-temperature) grinding. There are a few other companies that use un-germinated nuts, but make a point of keeping the grinding temperature low; e.g., Artisana, Rejuvenative, Living Tree. I'm not sure about their policy on pasteurized vs. non-pasteurized almonds, though.

• I purchased pasteurized raw almonds online. I soaked them and they sprouted so i consider them alive and still raw despite the pasteurization. I am looking for a way of making raw nut butter from soaked almonds via a low heat process without spending my savings on a high dollar machine.