Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw discipline

graceinyafacegraceinyaface Raw Newbie

I recently started a job as a vegan pastry chef at a vegan cafe. This is where I was introduced to raw food a few months ago. Our menu is about half vegan and half raw vegan which makes raw food highly accessible to me. My only problem is that I'm the pasty chef to ALL of the desserts, raw or not. When I'm not at work I eat all raw but when I get around all the cakes and muffins and pies....sugar rears it's ugly head to destroy what I have been working so hard to achieve. I know it's bad for me but I still can't help but taste and keep on tasting. I know in my heart all I need is some good strong discipline but for some reason I just can't muster it up in this one area of my life. Any tips on what has helped any of you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Ahhh jeeeez... I know where your coming from. I work in a health food store, mostly bulk... so i nibble on things here and there. All vegan of course... but def not raw. Basically the more raw you eat the more and more less desirable cooked foods become. Nothing beats the juicy sugary bite of a fresh fruit!!! Hang in there... With time itll come.. Raw foodism is not a thing to be stressed about!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Sugar, yeast and wheat is very addictive. If you'd like to have a peek at what you are up against check out the video called 'addictive foods' on our website here http://purelyraw.com/videos.htm It really shocked me and comes from a scientific source.

I guess that if it is so addictive you just have to not ever have any, because as soon as it is in your bloodstream you'll crave it. We crave whatever is in our bloodstream.

I know from my experience that pastry is just the worst thing to quit, the smell is impossible to resist if that yeast, msg and sugar is knocking about in your blood...cold turkey, is the only way ;)

• Maybe you could eat much more fruit and fruit sauce like apple sauce that is pure apple on the vitamix.You could even put some dates on it,or a smashed banana with dates,or my favorite puree mango on the vitamix.

Eat more fruit and you'll forget the white sugar.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

As indulgences go, vegan pastry seems relatively harmless, but what are the effects of this indulgence? Like energy spikes and a hard crash, or weight gain, or...? Maybe there's a message or clue by looking at what's going on with your body after eating these goodies.

Plus eat a really filling, satisfying meal before you clock in!

I've said this elsewhere, but it seems a lot of vegans (raw and not) are very into sweets. Somehow it seems that when meat and dairy and other forms of "comfort [addictive] foods" are avoided, we go to what's left, and that tends to be sweets.

• graceinyafacegraceinyaface Raw Newbie

Thank you so much for all of your comments and advice. The past fews days at work have not been super easy but they haven't been as hard as I thought they would be. I figured out that if I just don't taste anything I won't feel the need to keep on tasting stuff. Whenever I want to put that morsel in my mouth I just think to myself "you're going to destroy the great last few day's you've had and how is this going to benefit you? there is absolutely nothing in this that will do you any good." I've been on track and 100% raw. Thanks so much for all the support. You guys are awesome

• Why don't you make lots of raw goodies to keep you off eating the cooked stuff?

• Having things on hand definitely helps me. I always have tub of frozen banana/carob treats or brownies. I keep those coconut coated dates on hand for sweet cravings. And I always have some raw crackers for starchy cravings.