Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long to soak almonds?

I never made almond milk before, so I was wondering how long to soak the almonds??

I have heard to soak them 8-10hrs. Just wondering, what happens if I were to soak then longer, lets say 20hrs??

And when they are soaked, is it ok to use the water they were soaked in for the milk??

thanks.

Comments

• I have heard to never reuse the water from the almonds, very very bad. But I have let my almonds soak for 20 hours before no big deal, I have even had to add more water to them cuz I let them sit for so long. But I never have had any problems. You should rinse the almonds after soaking also.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

So here is another question ;-)

I made almond milk with 1/2 cup soaked almonds, and 1 1/2 cups water.

To filter the milk, i had to use small coffee filters placed in a small funnel, not very fun.

The end result was 1 1/4 cups of milk.

Is that about right, or should I have produced more.

I'm also using a cheap B&D blender which doesn't help.

Thanks.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It is better to sprout the almonds. So soak them for 4-6 hours then drain, and sprout for 2 days.

Only really raw almonds will sprout, you can tell when they have sprouted because a little white tip starts to show in one end. All USA almonds are not raw, only non USA almonds are raw, unless you're buying them from the handful of seller that do not pasteurise their almonds.

Don't se almond soak water because it is full of tannins from the almond skin which isn't good for you.

For great almond milk, try adding a dash of lemon juice and a little pinch of salt, and a date or two. It really makes it nice.

Just experiment with consistency and amounts of water, if you put too much water in, add more almnds and vice versa.

Cheaper alternative is sprouted sunflower milk. A really nice touch is to add a handful of hemp sprouts for those omegas ;)

I only have a cheap blender too, it works fine. I run mine through a normal sieve when I am done. I let the blender go for about 5 mins as well.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I always sprout my almonds as well. In order to end up with a lot of milk you need to actually squeeze it out of the strainer, as it naturally can get stuck above layers of pulp.

• I have found that using a nut milk bag made a better milk. It makes richer, it also is easier and cleaner. Use the pulp as a butter or in cookies. A question about the sunflower milk....how long do you soak/sprout your sunflower seeds? Have you tried sesime seeds? Also where do you find 'really raw' almonds?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

really raw almonds can be gotten from realrawfood.com. American sources for even "truly raw" almonds aren't raw. You need to get them from another country such as RRF in Canada.

• I like using a nutmilk bag too. You can get one here: http://www.oneluckyduck.com/product-details.php?id=124&cat=26

I use brazil nuts too and usually add vanilla beans, agave, sometimes salt, sometimes coconut butter or oil.

I reuse the pulp in macaroons or cookies.

Make sure you rinse the nuts as much as possible for the 8-10 hours you soak them--at least 2-3 times.

• miss soufflemiss souffle Raw Newbie

yay i live in new zealnd and i was wondering if our almonds were raw.. now i know they are because when i soak them they get the white tip at the top.

sweet