Coconut Oil taste?

Okay, in my former, SAD life, I have never liked coconut.

Will I hate coconut oil? Is the flavor that strong?

One thing I really want to make is chocolate chips with coconut oil and cacao. How strong do you think the taste will be?

Is there another way to make chocolate chips?

Thanks all! I love the support here!

Comments

• You might be surprised. many things that I previously didn't like I have now acquired a taste for...this is especially true of things that I "need." I love both coconut oil and coonut butter. Go for it!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I've never liked the dried flaky white coconut, nor coconut-flavored things, and I don't like it in raw recipes. But I have no similar issues with young Thai coconuts nor coconut oil (nor Coconut Bliss ice cream, which isn't raw but it's fabulous).

I recommend Nutiva. I actually like the flavor.

• Thanks for the replies. I think I saw Nutivia at WF. I will have to grab one next week.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I prefer to add coconut oil to nut deserts like cookies where the flavor adds a buttery flavor without the strong coconut flavor. On its own coconut oil is pretty strong, and I tend to notice it slightly (but not hugely) in chocolate. That's why I prefer to make chocolate out of raw cacao butter, since that's what cooked chocolate is made of anyway. Truly raw cacao butter can be found at the store at alissacohen.com.

Basically, I love adding coconut oil to recipes (be sure to get extra virgin - Nutiva brand is great). I like coconut oil chocolate, it's actually better if you add something to it like a topping (like coconut cream, nut crumble, etc) to help balance the coconut oil flavor. Definitely go for it, because you'll find experimenting with it is a lot of fun.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I love coconut water. I like the (really)young coconut meat/jelly, but it sometimes repeats on me for hours. I can't eat mature coconut at all or coconut milk/cream for the same reasons, except the reaction is much more extreme. They all give me wicked heartburn and indigestion. I bought a coconut oil to try, but it turns out it is not the virgin stuff. To me, it tastes like soft candle wax. I think it's nasty -- certainly not something I'd want to eat. In light of how I react to the higher fat coconut products, I have no intention of seeking out a better quality virgin oil or coconut butter (which has coconut solids in it). It's just a recipe for more indigestion, which wrecks my day. Besides, why spend twice as much $$$ on virgin oil, when the pure (but non-virgin) stuff works just fine as a body moisturizer, which is its sole purpose in my house?