Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Grains - Do i need them???

rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

Do I need to eat grains on a raw diet??

If so, i'm not sure which ones to buy, or where to buy them.

How about oats, are there raw oats and is it possible to make raw oatmeal cereal??

Thanks.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I can't digest grains, even sprouted, so I don't eat them. Most people don't eat very many of them either so I wouldn't say you needed them if you eat a varied raw diet (with nuts/seeds/sprouts/greens/vegetables.

• You can buy raw oats here: http://www.alissacohen.com/shop/Really-Raw-Organic-Oat-Flakes-1-lb-bag-p-23.html

I've had them and they are very good - I make raw oatmeal raisin cookies!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I really think that some grains are quite nutritious and beneficial. Unless you are unable to eat them for some reason, I don't think they should be avoided. If you want to keep everything 100% raw, then sprouting is the way to go. You can sprout quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, unhulled millet, oat groats, barley, kamut, spelt, hard and soft wheat and unhulled rices. I've been making tabbouleh with sprouted quinoa and it is very tasty. I'm all for variety. I'm not sure why you'd want to limit your diet in any way, considering that you've already cut out all meat, dairy, processed and other dead foods, presumably. I really think you should be open to anything vegan that is alive (even if it must be purchased in a dormant state).

Start by checking out a health food store or section. My health food store sells every grain I suggested. All are raw, organic and sproutable. I assume the owner buys large quantities because most of the grains are portioned into small, medium and large bags, weighed and priced accordingly. It's nice, because I can buy small amounts to try.

• Hi there,

Absolutely not! Grains are not natural food for humans. They are nearly impossible to eat in their natural, raw state and are very unpalatable eaten plain. They cause inflammation in the body, contribute to an acidic condition in the body and stress the immune system. Humans do not need grains and do much better without them. Grains have been implicated in asthma, depression and other mental/emotional disorders including schizophrenia, skin problems arthritis, and other immune disorders.

Fruit, greens, and veggies are our natural foods (in that order) and to a much lesser extent nuts and seeds.

Have a lovely day!

Blessings,

Audrey

I agree with chilove. Grains are also acid forming. The human body was meant to be alkaline, and fresh fruits and vegetables are alkaline, while most nuts and seeds are acidic, (except for almonds, pine nuts, and sesame seeds) while sprouted nuts and seeds are alkaline. I've never had an easy time digesting grains and just like she said they really aren't edible in their natural form. Some people may tolerate them better, but I like to stay mostly with fruits and vegetables.

• As an alternative to nuts/seeds on raw, sprouted grains such as buckwheat and quinoa are quite good and raw oats, if you're not affected by gluten.

Grains also originate from grasses, made of cellulose, which humans can't digest.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I also agree with chilove. Years back, I told my mom "I wonder if bread is the cause of cancer".. because it was clear to me that our bodies did not evolve to consume them-- and evolution is guided mostly by the diet and adaptations in it to fit a particular niche...

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think a grain-free or low-grain diet is best.

Wild rice and buckwheat are fruits - enjoy that sprouted.

Quinoa sprouted is pretty healthy.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

Lots of info and different points of view.

I've been eating cooked brown rice lately, but i was looking for a raw alternative to rice and whole grain bread.

I'm making a very slow transition, but it isn't a race and i feel fine.

Thanks again.

• I like sprouted buckwheat ,but now Im enojoying sprouted mung beans. I find I feel lighter and I digest them easier. Is mung beans sprouts good to eat on a no grain diet? I wanted to try amaranth, do they sprout? and do they taste good?

mung beans are good. they are a legume, not a grain, so they are much more digestible. one of the few legumes that are good sprouted and raw. i agree they are much lighter than buckwheat.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Grains are simply not meant for humans and cause lots of ailments. Even if we were to come across a field of grains in nature there would be no way to gather enough to sustain ourselves...not to mention there are no places in nature that has a field of grains. Heres an article on how dangerous grains are.

http://www.karlloren.com/diet/p122.htm

• Isnt buckwheat a fruit seed though and not a grain? Also quinoa and amaranth?

• Though I don't think you MUST have grains, I agree with Sweetpea's ideas on grains. I completely ruled out grains for several months and went back to adding some into my diet. Grains getting a terrible rep (imho) because of the type of grains people have been living on- white bread, pasta from white flour, etc. I went back to some quinoa, brown rice and oats. I don't care for them raw, so I cook those. But, there are people who enjoy them raw, and it's worth trying. Main thing to consider is- how is your health if you eat these? How is the brown rice making you feel? If you are healthy on it, why remove something from your diet that you are thriving on? If you don't feel good on them- don't eat them.

Trust yourself and how you feel.

• Kurite- that article is true, but it only applies to wheat. Other grains are much less harmful. I suffered from a lot of ailments growing up, and after I found out that I had gluten sensitivity and removed wheat from my diet, I started thriving! Of course, I have to also avoid rye, oats, and a few other things but that is just because of cross contamination issues.

I agree that humans are not naturally meant to eat grains, but I also believe that if an individual wishes to add something back into their diet besides the usual raw staples, then (certain) grains would be much less harmful then animal products. And they can be wonderful for a person who is still transitioning and not 100% raw yet. It is all about balance: if a person is struggling on raw and going on massive binges, I would rather see them add quinoa/rice/millet/etc back into their diet then to continue harming themselves in other ways. This doesn't have to be all or nothing!

As for raw grains, I think other people have covered that info pretty well so I won't rehash. :)

Brittgetsreal I agree that it only applies to grains containing gluten but I simply don't believe in there use. Also I dont want to start a fight here but raw paleoists eat an almost exclusively meat based diet and thrive. Meat is by far a more natural choice for human consumption than grains.

• I guess I should qualify my statement. If someone asked me if they should eat grains or meat....would choose cooked grains over cooked meat for them, but I would probably choose raw animal products over cooked grains. If that makes sense.

Personally, I'm an ethical vegan so I'd always make the choice of plant food over animal food for myself, which I understand you might not agree with but hey....let's agree to disagree.

I believe that raw animal products are just as healthy for us as any raw plant food but i just don't like how animals are raised and treated when grown for food in traditional raising conditions.

• Kurtie, I think it's a little inappropriate to be advocating animal products on a vegan forum...

• Paul BPaul B Raw Jr. Leader

Raw Canadian,

I eat sprouted buckwheat, quinoa, kamut and amaranth in salads, soups and dehydrated breads and crackers. I also eat soaked raw oats sweetened with dates and raisins and nutmilk for breakfast cereal. Regarding where to buy them, there are many places. My favorite and my sole source for organic grains and legumes is www.homegrownharvest.com I have found their prices to be competitive and customer service to be solid. Tim is a straight shooter. I also use kamut as the main source of my wheat grass. Kamut is an older variety of wheat that is lower in gluten than regular winter wheat berries. I can't find it locally so I buy in 10 lbs bags. I don't advise the 6 gallon size if you go with Tim's outfit only because its unlikely you will consume enough of it in time to keep it fresh. The only exception would be to freeze the extra if you have the freezer space. I also order my lentils from them and the lentil sprouts are something I eat daily as it contains high levels of lysine, an amino acid that is low in many grains (except quinoa, amaranth and maybe buckwheat). Best.

Paul

Guitarchick im not advocating it...in my opinion its completely immoral to eat animals i just believe its not unhealthy.