Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How Do You Deal With Small Minded People?

ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Today something happened that put me down and was wondering how do you guys deal with such situations, at work today somehow the topic changed to my diet&vegetarianism(in some miraculous way it always ends up as the subject)and 1 lady who works with me(used to be a veggy for 15years but stopped recently) kinda made fun of me for not eating honey, she said the bee's give it anyway and all that, so explained to her that they dont make it because they are bored and have nothing else to do its because they&their larva eat it and instead they are getting artificial replacements ect`, and then another girl who is also a vegan(besides honey) said in a total cynical way "ohhh the poor bee's were taking their honey??) and then started laughing in my face, now its not that I really care what they think, I stopped with that long ago, 4 years of being a vegan taught me that much but I was shocked by that fact that the second girl who made the bigger fun of me is almost a vegan herself! I mean how the hell can you not eat meat, milk&eggs and then go and laugh at someone for having respect bee's as well?? I mean I can understand if she finds it hard to relate to bee's and hence not having problems with eating honey but making fun of someone who does?? I really can't get it, are people really that small minded and hopeless?

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Yup. They are. You alone can't change them. Only they can change themselves. If they wish to learn from you, they will. Lead by example. But, if they want to remain pitifully small-minded consumers who give no thought to how their actions on earth impact other species and humans, they most certainly will ... and they'll make no apologies about it. I'm sorry for seeming a cynic, but at the end of the day, I have only myself to answer to and as long as I feel that I am a good person trying my best, I am satisfied ... and so should you be in your own life and endeavours.

• I've noticed that it's easier to eat what others don't like so much because they keep their grubby hands off of my food. Bananna bread, cookies, nachos and cheese fries and I get germy hands on my plate. Shredded veggies w/ oil and vinegar...ewh...how could you eat that? Everyone is always so concerned w/ what I'm eating that they don't even know that they're STARVING.

On a good note...I called home from work to tell my kids they could have chicken for dinner and they were making salads. I'm pleased w/ their transition. I just don't push it on them.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I just use my trusty mind expander.

Zap!

Now let's chat.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I get razed all the time at my job. I just take it though, it really doesn't bug me at all. There are plenty of others I also work with that are genuinely interested. The snide comments never bug me though, maybe it was because I was always the one picked on in school so it just rolls off my back, I don't know, but if I were you I wouldn't let it affect you. No need to let such comments get you down.

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

I am lucky that I spend my days at home with my young kids. They don't criticize what I eat! I can't imagine how it must feel to be scrutinized everyday. I think I would take to eating on my own outside or at my desk. If you need to eat with people who are closed minded, it is best to just smile on the outside and remind yourself on the inside what a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself and your planet by eating raw! Be strong!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I try not to let the people at my work know and the ones who do are 'worried' about me or think I'm crazy but I just go about my day as if they aren't judging me. Every once in a while someone will come and ask me questions and that makes me feel hopeful that I can be a difference in someone's life.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

"Well, I guess I like animals more than you."

But yeah, it's irritating to be around closed-minded people. Feel smugly superior for a minute, then move on.

• Yes, I'm quite sure the bees make honey especially for us. It's their job didn't you know?

Sarcasm aside I'd tell them how ignorant and close-minded they are, and they really should educate themselves before judging someone else's lifestyle.