Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is non organic food okay?

The only organic food I can get where I live is apples (which usually don't taste great or are rotten to the core) and potatos. I'm trying fruitarianism atm (week one) and I'm worried that it may be worse than cooked food if I consume non organic stuff.

Most of the stuff isn't local, but from new zealand.

atm all I'm pretty much eating is kiwis, tangelos, apples, cucumber, grapes and a few berries which I'm not to sure is healthy.

I'm wondering if I should eat a cooked diet, predominating in raw foods, until I live in a different area and can buy/grow organic food, or if I should stick with it.

Also, should I add any more fruits to my current menu (I'm spending around 50 a week atm) I feel I don't have enough variety.

Comments

• That's brave of you doing only fruit. For long-term healthy, you really need other foods in your diet such as leafy greens, kale etc. It is better to eat organic fruits but you have to take what you can get in your area. Just make sure you wash them in pure water. If you're considering cooked food, why not opt for more variety on the raw than what you're doing?

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I think it depends on the produce you are eating, and it would also depend on the cooked food you are eating as well, as far as chemicals go.

check out this link:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/pesticide-residues.cfm

If it's non-organic, then wash it really good, or peel it, before eating.

As for cooked food, cooking can destroy some of the residue.

I am still eating some veggies steamed like asparagus, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.

Anyway, i believe that fresh would still be better than processed, because the processed food can contain all kinds of chemicals, like pesticides as well.

Where do you live??? Maybe somebody can help you from that area as well.

Good luck!!!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

thats right, do what you can. Dont swet it. its hard to make the "best" decisions when they are not always there for you. For years, I ate non organic raw food when I lived with my parents because that was the best i could do. When I moved out. I went all organic. Just do the best you can and don't, swet it. and just know when you can you will.

• I have the same problem! the only organic foods here are apples, and a lot of the other foods come from chile or mexico (I'm in texas). This is a major reason why I have not gone raw, because I dont feel comfortable making smoothies from non organic food (especially greens!). So i dont have any suggestions for you, but i'm going to keep reading this thread!

• If you have a backyard or garden, you could try growing at least a little bit of your own food.

It's even better than organic as it hasn't been transported.

Herbs and greens can be grown on a windowsill even.

(I believe many fruitarians eat leaves (greens) as well, as they are a renewable, overground part of the plant in the same way as the fruit is).

Or, if there are any natural woods or forests in your area, you might be able to forage for food. It's a good idea to get guide for the first time so you know what's edible.

Sergei Boutenko has some food foraging videos on his website:

http://www.harmonyhikes.com/wild.htm

• Hi :) Fellow Texan here.

In most places in Texas (I've got family ALL over as well, ha) there are realllly good co-ops. Not to mention that HEB is really taking off - Whole Foods stores are usually around as well. I'm from Spring, right outside of Houston, and my options are always endless.

Even if I can't always get organic, I'm always glad that I live in a state where there is ALWAYS fresh produce! (Maybe it's because I live so close to the coast? But even when I lived in Dallas, there were always so many markets. And in Austin, San Antonio, etc..)

I'm going to school in Utah right now, and I can't always say that anymore. It's just not the same :/

• Nora Lenz of www.rawschool.com ate mostly non-organic produce and she did just fine. I'm doing great eating mostly conventionally grown food.

• So you guys think I'm good as long as I wash what I eat?

Also have I got enough variety atm?

• It's better than nothing at all.

I tend to not believe an overpriced piece of fruit really IS organic unless I myself grew it. But I am ever the cynic.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Hi

There are ways of cleaning with lemon juice or peeling and someplaces sell cleaners for fruit that is usally citric acid based so I use lemon juice if not having organic. I know its not local etc but Costco sells big boxes or earthbound farms organic baby greens or spinach for 3.99 for a big box. I know regualr stores sell that brand for a little more and then it is washed and ready for smoothies.

Just do waht you can IMO it is better to be raw vegan and not organic than organic with tons of meat and dairy and cooked food. But that just my own thoughts . .. .