Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Kid (or anyone) Mushrooms again

Hi Guys!

I posted a question on mushrooms and Raw Kid confirmed something I read saying white mushrooms have a toxin in them, but she said shitake are good for you. My question now is what about portabello and cremini? Any input is appreciated!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Without wanting to undermine what rawkidchef said, I have never known any problems with mushrooms. I have eaten a lot of them at different points in my raw journey, and always felt great. Unless you are noticing something negative why worry? There are 'toxins' in a lot of things, almond peel, apple pips, and a lot of divided opinions about which raw foods are good for you. The only way to know is to try things out on yourself. Different things may agree of disagree with you at different points on your journey.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I'm not too concerned about the "toxin" in any mushroom either. I think all kinds of mushrooms are fine. There may be slight toxins in them but I doubt they'd affect much.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Yes, I've heard about toxins in white mushrooms as well, but another major concern with mushrooms is the mold/fungus. You can eliminate some of the mold by marinating the mushrooms. Supposedly, it's still not something you should eat everyday. You might not feel the effects in the short-term, but I wonder about long-term effects. Doing mushrooms regularly might or might not cause cancer, but it could lead to less than optimal health. On a raw foods diet, we eat pretty healthy, so it probably won't make much of a difference. However, if you're eating mushrooms regularly and following the SAD, it could make a noticeable difference in your health.

I know Gabriel Cousens is not crazy about mushrooms in general (cancer-causing), so I guess that would include portobello and cremini as well.

Shiitake is a tree mushroom, I believe, and David Wolfe makes a distinction between tree mushrooms and non-tree mushrooms. If you pick them fresh and eat them, it's probably fine. However, I get the feeling mold develops on the tree mushrooms available in grocery stores. Again, you can marinate these mushrooms or do a hot water extraction and make a tea.

Medicinal (tree) mushrooms available in supplements I believe are pretty much free of mold; during processing the mold is likely removed.

Hope this helps! :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

i find that if I eat intuitively I'll eat mushrooms for a week or so and then not want them for a while. Luckily, my body knows when I have had enough and it is time for something different.

I don't see why mushrooms could be cancer forming to someone who is raw. If your immune system is healthy cancer cells will not form abnormally. Our immune systems cull cancer cells in everyone, every day as long as your immune system it isn't poisoned and defeated by foods it has to fight and deal with as toxins, cancer can't be a problem..

That's what I'm thinking too.

• Greetings "RawKidChef"! I am the mother of 3 children, my oldest of which is 2 months younger than you. We have all just recently gone raw again (long story). I've been wanting for him to make friends with other raw kids his age. So, how long have you been raw? Are your parents raw too? Do you have any raw siblings? How do you stay raw, in this cooked-food world we live in? Keep on rawkin! ~Laura Sutton

• Hi There! I would love to chat with you. I am brand new to this site. My 17yrold raw fooder son introduced me to this site. I have 3 boys..17,15,12 and I have always wanted to go to Costa Rica. I am on here to get recipes, support and have fun. I hope we speak soon.

Many Blessings

Donna

Greetings to you too RawKinMomma! I have been pretty much raw for the past six years or so. My mom is raw too - but I don't have any siblings. That's awesome! I'd love to meet your son if we lived closer. Yes I agree it's pretty hard staying raw in this world - especially with the holidays around, but I have gotten used to the diet. I look forward to talking to you more! :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Big mushroom fan here. Love em. Delicious. But you probably know by now, I don't eat anything if it isn't delicious.

• Crimini mushrooms are just immature portobellos. The word crimini is interchangeable with the term baby bella. Whenever I eat raw mushrooms I like to slice them extremely thin with a knife and toss them in a salad with dressing. If you're not good with a knife a mandolin can be used.