Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Forget Artisana!!!

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Man, I just experimented with making my own nut butter tonight. It was SO easy and much cheaper than buying the Artisana nut butter. I'm never wasting my money on those again! I already have a few of their jars to repackage my own :)

Here is my recipe. I will add it to Recipes too once the site is fully up and running.

2 cups cashews

Small hand full of walnuts

3 TBSP of olive oil

a pinch or two of sea salt

about 1/2 TBSP of agave nectar

Directions:

- Put cashews and 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the food processor along with salt and then let it go for a while.

- Periodically stop the food processor and scrap the sides

- After the consistency thins about a bit add one more tablespoon of olive oil

- Process again until desired consistency is obtained

This will definitely help me save money!!!

Comments

• sounds great. I only buy their coconut butter because I'm not very good at cutting open coconuts, and the jar lasts a long time. But yes, for all of those nut butters it is so much cheaper to make your own.

enjoy :)

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

That sounds great! (:

Is there a way to make cashew butter without oil?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I never buy commercial nut butter other than the sprouted one at realrawfood because they are not sprouted. I have made great nut butters dehydrated soaked nuts and grinding them down into butter.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I guess you could but it wouldn't be very sticky. The oil helps a lot. After having this in the fridge overnight I realized it may have needed some more oil. Why can't you use oil?

I plan on trying cashew butter next since that is my favorite.

I'm guessing my batch filled about 6oz of the 8oz jar. I am estimating the cost to make was about $2-$3.

• Caleb-let us know how long it lasts in the fridge. I made tahini once that exploded (fermented) on day 2.

No prob with using oil, just a lot of fat thats all. Joyous fig - I once made an almond butter by sprouting almonds and dehydrating them for say 8 hours. Then I ground them into a course/fine flour. Then I ground the flour into butter with the help of some coconut oil (you can use another oil if you want to) and it really was like butter. It refrigerated into a firm, chewy fudge - like the one in Raw Food Real World, lol. Because of the coconut oil. If you let it soften at room temp that goes away. Mine lasted about a week in the fridge. I ate it all up so I couldn't tell you if it would last longer but my guess is that it would. I still have 3 jars of the Real Raw Food sprouted almond butter (different than the one I just made) that's been sitting in the fridge for a month or two. It is still fresh as could be. I take tablespoons at a time. It is good in that there is no oil - it's just made from truly raw sprouted and dehydrated almonds.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I don't think this will go bad. Nothing to ferment :)

My guess is it will pretty much last forever. Granted it will be gone in a couple weeks. After this is gone I will likely try Almond butter. I may try "sprouting" them first though.

• I make my own almond butter. I use my dry blade for my Vitamix & make almond flour. I put the flour in my food processor and add agave until I get almond butter.

• dude!

thank you SO much for posting this.

i just was going to post to ask if there is an alternative to purchasing the jars of nut butter.

i am SO SO SO GRATEFUL.

thanx again!!!!

this is inspiring me to finally get a food processor!!!

• how do you sprout almonds?

soak them for a really long time?

say 4 days?

Soak them overnight, drain and rinse, and let sit damp without water for 24 hours. Rinse frequently.