Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raising kids on a raw food diet

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a feel for what it's like bringing up kids on a raw food diet given that we are such a non-raw society. I should tell you, I work for a documentary-making company. We are interested in following the lives of raw food families to learn about the positives and negatives, challenges and triumphs faced by raw food families in today's world. Does this sound like a good idea? Would anyone be willing to speak to me and share your experiences? Let me know what you think!

Comments

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

I am a raw 'kid'. My parents do not approve of this WOE to say the least. I wouldn't want to be in a raw doccumentary. I think people will eating the way they feel is best.

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

I am also a raw teenager. I am very fortunate that my parents have (eventually) come around and support my life style 100%.

I notice the longer I am raw (it's been around a year now) the more I care less about what people think, although at first I found it very hard (not that it's completely easy now, though :)

• My family is raw. My daughter who is almost 7 eats mostly raw food and generally chooses it. We do let her try things like cake at a birthday party or other non-raw foods even if they are junky because I think it is better to let her try other things. I know her base diet is healthy and clean, so eating junk helps her socialize a bit better. We always discuss the consequences of eating poorly, but ensure she does not feel bad for choosing to eat birthday cake, for example. We also regulate her intake of junky food too. We don't always say yes, depending on what she has eaten in a day or for the past week.

I think the documentary is a good idea, but of course it depends of what kind of biases are entered. @Claude: Are you a raw foodist?

• I think that's a good idea. It might help people to understand raw foodists better. I have a toddler that is raw (along with my husband and I) and I find it a little difficult with her in social settings. She has no problem eating raw, but for instance, when we go to church on Sundays and she's in her class, they give snacks (usually a cracker where the first or second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup) and she refuses to eat what I brought for her. She keeps asking for what the other kids have and it makes it very stressful for everyone around. I'd be willing to help you.

• Hello Claud!

I would be very happy to talk to you and share my experiences. I love the idea of a raw documentary and would love to be part of it. I had a raw pregnancy and drug free home birth! I am a 22 year old mother of a 10 month old. I started a raw food diet at the age of 15. I have not been %100 raw all the time because I do occasionally cook vegetables. I have not switched my baby over to solids yet but I have made him several raw 'soups' out of fresh vegetable and fresh breast milk! He is beautiful and thriving. (I'm doing wonderfully too- I produce endless amounts of the sweetest milk, recovered from birth effortlessly and am thriving on raw. Send me an email! magic_oak_tree@hotmail.com

Love to hear from you and good luck with your project,

Ariana

• Hey everyone,

This is all really interesting stuff. Thanks so much for your contributions. I would really like to follow up with anyone interested in talking to me more. My email address is claudine.parrish@blakeway.tv - give me a shout any time!

I'm not a raw foodist myself, redhouse. I am in to nutritian and I really admire those who are, but I think I would struggle in social / dinner party situations etc. But I bet the health benefits are amazing.

I'm glad most of you think this is a worthwhile project. Very encouraging. There is a lot on TV about obesity and junk food diets, but perhaps there should be more on the opposite.

Claud

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

I also completed a raw pregnancy and a natural home birth. Im 23 and my son is 4 months old. I breastfeed my son and have plenty of milk.I've been raw for two years with a little stemmed veggies here and there, but mostly high raw.My husband is also raw and we happen to be staying with my parents who are also raw. It's quite nice!

You can contact me also at www.rawmama@ymail.com.

Shazzie is about to release her new book Evie's Kitchen - raising raw children- im really looking forward to it. she's been working on it for 4 years!