Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

green smoothie without bananas

Hi I am looking for inspiration for recipes for green smoothies without bananas and not too many fruit. Try to keep the veggie content high. Any one has ideas?

Comments

• I watched a video online in which the woman advised freezing coconut butter in ice cube trays and then using them in the smoothie instead of banana. Havent tried it yet but it sounds like a good idea.

also I use a green powder which tastes delicious called Nanogreens which is sweetened with a little stevia

Keep us posted!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wow, that coconut butter must be hard as a rock if frozen!

I have a hard time 'melting' mine when it comes out of the fridge. I use a high-speed blender, but it still doesn't seem right that I add hard-as-a-rock coconut butter to it.

How about adding less fruit and more water to your green smoothies to reduce the 'sugar'?

There are also cucumber smoothies, but I haven't tried any of those. This is good topic because I am interested in making smoothies w/ less fruit... and that taste good... but it may as well be called vegetable soup (I think).

• Hi Germin8,

Yesterday I did a very nice green smoothie with 2 cucumbers, one small carrot, 2 kiwis, 2 small spoons of wheatgrass powers, one small spoon of spirulina and water. It was very nice!!! This morning I did the same but with pears instead of kiwi.

Hope it helps!!

• will try that one sounds good!

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

I don't think the coconut butter would blend properly unless the smoothie was warmed to it's melting temp. Besides, adding coconut butter would add far to much fat content IMO.

• If I don't use banana, I use some mango and less water.

It seems to be the same!

• Check out this link! Many smoothies here do not have sweet fruit of any type.

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showpost.php?s=1d2f22a3c371bae99efe8c33ac9a8b84&p=438347&postcount=1

• RAWBLADERAWBLADE Raw Newbie

why not bananas? Sugar?

• My favorite green smoothie right now is pineapple, mint, and lettuce with maca and lots of ice blended in.

The pineapple makes it plenty sweet!

• I have to second (or third?) the cucumbers in your smoothie! Call me crazy, but I get sick of bananas pretty easily. I've used cucumbers with bananas as well, and they sort of weaken the banana flavor, which I also like. The cucumbers just taste so fresh! They don't taste sweet, but they add a freshness similar to fruit without the sweetness.

• Once I used coconut meat, alfalfa, lemon, watercress and small spoon of agave!! It was fantastic!!

• You can Google "savory green smoothies" and find lots of recipes. Some of my faves include cukes, but many are greens, avocado, maybe tomato, lemon and various herbs. A great recipe is http://www.goneraw.com/recipe/spinach-avocado-dip, just add more water. I love to make it with warm water and have it in a bowl with pine nuts and broccoli slaw.

Other low-sugar goodies are apple, cuke and avocado (I add Gogi Berries),

greens, cuke and strawberries,

greens, apple, blueberry

You can also search for raw soups. These usually make good smoothies, IMHO.

OMG, I almost forgot this one! http://www.goneraw.com/node/16347 YUM!!

I almost never use bananas in my smoothies or for anything else. Too much sugar and too hybridized for my comfort. There are plenty of other fruits - pears, peaches, apples, mangos, oranges - that you can use or sweetness, and creaminess can come from avos, cukes, chia seeds, or just the other ingredients done in a high-powered blender!

• sounds like a great idea! Coconut butter is supposed to be very good for ya!

• PamPam

I use about 5 or 6 large leaves of kale and/or collards, couple of romaine leaves, 2 carrots, 1/2 bunch of parsley, an inch of ginger, 1/2 to 1 apple (or pineapple), and water to desired consistency. I do it in my BlendTec. It makes a lot so I may put it in a pitcher and add water to thin it as I drink it over the course of the day. To me, this smoothie tastes like milk. It's only slightly sweet but has tons of veggies and I've been able to give it to SAD eaters without a "yuck" reaction. I'm not crazy about bananas in my green smoothies.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

My green smoothies never contain bananas, I don't even put bananas in my morning fruit smoothie...

My green smoothie could be called "veg soup" as I try to put something dark red, dark orange and tons of dark green with fresh ginger, ACV, water, cayenne and seeds...

Sometimes, I make "ice cream" then I use frozen bananas but have found that I prefer avo's instead...

• I drank green smoothies with banana and ginger every day for over a year before my tastes for these was sated. I began to crave more greens and less sweet.

Now my favorite smoothie is made with a mixture of about 80% greens (ranked in order of current preference: parsley, collards, spinach, kale, turnip greens) and 20% sweetness -- I prefer 1 kiwi and another fruit such as mango, pineapple, or strawberry. I add about 6 -8 cups of water and ice before blending.

This resolves processed food cravings and the energy boost rivals those energy drinks on the market today.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Try granny smith apples and mangos. I do this with spinach or greens powder. Yummy!! But I have to admit I like it with banana better.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

My favorite one is juicing a couple of celery stalks, carrots, half a cucumber, one apple, and an inch of ginger. Sometimes I add half a beet as well. Put that in the blender with a handful of spinash (or other greens of your preference), parsley, wheat grass juice, and some low sugar fruit such as berries. The aple and the carrots makes this sweet enough, you don't need any bananas!

• I've been making green smoothies lately without bananas. I use half an avocado to replace bananas, and it taste even better than bananas. This is what usually goes into my smoothies now:

kale, parsley, tomato, avocado, frozen blueberries, cinnanmon powder, a little bit of curry powder (for brain power), orange juice.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Zucchini will give it a creamy consistency, but it will be a raw veggie soup. I rarely use bananas, but I eat them as an appetizer before my meal. Usually zucchini and some other veggie/lettuce/sprouts, often a spoon of maca. If not the maca then when it's done I add a swirl of olive oil to the bowl and some flax seeds.

Cucumber is creamy, too. With a green leafy veggie.

Stuff that is quite fibrous does not work in my blender... (fennel, carrot...)