Working out, need some input...

coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

After doing some cleansing and what not, I’m back to working out as usual. I must say that working out now is a whole lot easier… I feel better, I can breath better, I can push myself harder. But anyhow, the problem I’m having is that I’ve been having these awesome workouts on the treamill, but I’ve been feeling totally dead (on and off) the rest of the day, and having slight headaches here and there. I don’t believe I’m dehydrated cause I’m continuously drinking water… Am I burning too many calories and not eating enough??? Or is it me just having to get used to my workout? I don’t know! What would be some good food ideas to follow up my workout with? I usually follow up the workout with juicy fruits like melons or smoothies.

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Hmm… Sounds like your blood sugar might be getting a bit too low during your workout… Do you eat anything at all before?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

No, I always workout first thing in the AM. It just works out best for me that way, even on an empty stomach. I have no problems getting through the workout, it’s just after. I’ve never had this feeling before, and now that I’m higher raw and working out harder, this issue has popped up!

• As an newly raw exercise physiologist, I am having a hard time with this too. I will so far as to say that I have good workouts, I feel strong, yet my muscle mass is decreasing!!!

I think alot has to do with calorie intake. I am trying to have something before I go. My husband and I go at 4:30 am…so we never eat!

It is different on the body, but I cannot confirm how yet..stay tuned!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

I love to workout on an empty stomach & it’s great since being raw….I follow up my morning routine with a banana or two or three : ) I know they’re sugary, but they help me recover…..as do oranges and grapefruit…

• It’s always been said, eat carbs before workouts and protein after. However, this really doesn’t apply to morning workouts. I would actually stay away from just fruit right after a morning workout. Try something like a raw bar, or a handfull of dried fruit and nuts. The protein content is higher and it’s takes the body far longer to digest… Unlike fruit, which can be digested in as little as 30 minutes and can cause a HUGE blood sugar crash! If you love having fruit then I would suggest something that is lower on the gylcemic index, ie strawberries, apples… then 30 minutes after that have a raw trail mix. Anywho, hope this helps a little bit!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

interesting point…I’ll have to try and see if I notice a difference.I haven’t really had any blood sugar crashes since being raw. Then again , I rarely eat dried fruit or nuts and only greens later in the day…some days I only eat fruit with steady high energy all day….thanks for the info- Peace-

• Lils..Interesting point and I completely agree with eating protein after a workout. Although, fruit is not a bad option, as the body will pull that sugar in and help to repack the liver storage of glycogen. My question is that if you eat trail mix, or some nuts – what about the theory of only having fruit before all other food. Would that mean that you should not have fruit the rest of the day.

Another option that I find works well is to make a green juice or smoothie and add some hemp protein to it! The protein helps promote satiety while still getting some greens and fruit in there!

Hmmmmm, I think I’ll have to try to get a hold of that fruitarian fitness guy!!! I eat my fruits during the day and then do the veggies at night. Somedays I just do all fruit. But I’m not a fan of trail mixes, and I try to stay away from the bars.

Although my problem is I could be going through a slight detox. I had a couple slip ups recently, and even today, I haven’t even worked out and the headaches are still lingering :-/

Any more input is still welcome though!

• I think its the calories. If your not getting enough calories after your workout to make up for theones you lost (or if you want to loose weight, most of what you lost) then your body starts eating anything it can get its little hands on. If your skinny with little fat, that means its going to start eating muscles and you can go into catabolic shock.

• How’s it going with the headaches coconutty? Did you try drinking coconut water after? I’m suprised noone mentioned bananas. Also juiced celery.

Things are going decent. I believe my problem is overworking myself. It kinda sucks, I have the will, the energy, and my body is ready to go, but at the same time my body isn’t used to working this much harder so I have to build up! And then as far as food goes, I wasn’t eating what I needed to help my body recover. I’ve found that if I follow up the workout with a quick boost of sugar (like some OJ or melon) and then an hour or 2 later follow that up with lots and lots of greens and stuff, it helps me balance back out. I was eating too many sweets fruits which I’m sure after working out was sending my blood sugar wack-o which was then contributing to the headaches. But believe it or not, I didn’t even think of drinking a coconut right after a workout!!! Haaaa!!!!! I feel like a retard! Thanks for the suggestion! So hopefully some of this info may help someone else and I’ll post more if I come across anything else that helps!