Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vitamin D

I am concerned that now that I am not eating dairy that I am lacking Vitamin D. Does anyone have advice on how to get more Vitamin D, other than sunlight, on a raw food diet?

Thanks!

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Mushrooms have Vit D

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

You should try Spirulina, Chlorella and Alfafa as part of your smoothie regiment... Look these guys up on the net and You will see that they are powerhosuse's of nutrition and taste Good too... alfalfa contains 4740 International Units of Vitamin D per pound.

http://www.chlorellafactor.com/chlorella-spirulina-01.html

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I don't think it's all diet but how your body is functioning or absorbing it. I was not raw and did eat dairy, but a year ago I was found to be majorly deficient in Vit D and likely had been for awhile. Same with Vit B12, and I wasn't vegan! I know people seem to think if you live one lifestyle or another you are most likely to suffer certain deficiencies but bodies all react differently so it's hard to tell.

I still do some dairy, but all raw milk(some cheese but little else) and it has helped but still need to take 2000-5000 Vit D a few times a week just for my body to stay at low normal in the winter months. Vit B's I have dealt with mainly dietary(bee pollen helps) but diet never did enough for Vit D so that is one I need to take 3/4 seasons!

• Thanks for all of this wonderful advice. I didn't know that mushrooms had vitamin D - I eat those all the time!

Peace & blessings to you all!

• In general 10-15 minutes of sunlight each day to get your Daily Value of Vitamin D taken care of. I enjoy standing my my yard without a shirt in the full sun while eating citrus or other sweet fruits. Time passes quickly and it feels great.

Sun Supplies 10,000 Units Of Vitamin D

The single most important fact anyone needs to know about vitamin D is how much nature supplies if we behave naturally, e.g., go into the sun. Humans make at least 10,000 units of vitamin D within 30 minutes of full body exposure to the sun, what is called a minimal erythemal dose. Holick MF. Environmental factors that influence the cutaneous production of vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995 Mar;61(3 Suppl):638S

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Mushrooms have a SMALL amount of vitamin D, and so do sunflower seeds. If you live above 38 degrees north latitude (Denver, Colorado) the sun isn't strong enopugh from mid-fall through the spring to give you enough vitamin D. (From the book "There is a Cure For Diabetes" by Gabriel Cousens.) Supplementing in these northern areas is much better than being deficient in vitamin D, although you may reduce your need for supplementation if you spend LOTS of time in the sun during the summer, or if you live farther south - at least, that's been my experience. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

it depends on where you live, like angie said. in places like seattle it's impossible to get enough vitamin D even if you were outside all day naked (according to a naturopath). supplement.

and the other thing my naturopath said was that unless your levels are at a certain point, the sun won't do you much good. so if you are very deficient you have to supplement to be able to absorb the sun's vit D better.

for example i was very low in D this spring and i spent at least and hour in the sun every day this summer. it was enough to make it higher but not out of the deficient range.

• Well, I'm assuming I'd get arrested if I went out in my yard, shirtless or better yet..full-bodied, being a girl and all. I don't think the neighbors would mind overly much (pervs!) but I think I'll stick with hanging out, shortsleeved, sitting in the trusty lawnchair......lol

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Well like I said before mushrooms have vitamin D. There is a raw vitamin you get get called the vitamin code and it's got d in it. Sometimes I take on of those for a backup.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I don't know about any of you, but here in the southernmost part of Canada, the weather has been pretty grey and crappy lately. There's no snow, but it just feels like some days don't even get light out. I don't think we're averaging more than 1 day of sun per week right now. I can't just drop everything and run outside for a walk when the sun decides to peek out from behind the clouds, so I'm currently supplementing with a calcium citrate supplement that contains vitamin D as well. This is the only vitamin/mineral supplement I'm taking. Thankfully, I'm headed to India in January for 6 weeks, so hopefully the days outside in temperate weather will give me a nice D boost and some badly needed sunlight (I have a history of mild seasonal affective disorder). My lamp is a poor substitute for sunlight, so I'll be glad to lap up a few rays.