Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Problems having blood taken

FeeFee Raw Master

Hi,

Ive been fairly high raw now for a few months (and feeling good), my blood pressure has dropped (from 120/80 to roughly 100/70) and today when they tried to take blood it was a terrible job. Previously they have taken 4 or 5 vials without a problem yet today they had two goes in one arm - nothing and were about to give up with the other arm when eventually they got it to dribble out.

Has anyone else noticed this since going raw? We are in the process of starting IVF (hence the blood tests) and I am sure I will need loads more bloods taken but I don't want to go through this everytime.

It wasnt the person taking it as she has done it before fine! I had a minor panic attack by the end (dizzy, pins and needles in my hands and face) so really not a fun experience.

Any suggestions on improving my blood outflow would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Maybe try some higher sodium fruits and veggies plus some water before an appointment where blood will be drawn. Tomatoes and celery comes to mind. Celery and banana smoothies are pretty tasty.

Good luck with the IVF by the way...

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I just had bloodwork done today and didn't have a problem - i normally do because my veins are small. However, the woman today had no problem. I am sore though - and i'm usually not sure. I feel like the whole area around the insertion is all bruised - but it's not. But, i'm glad the blood came out easily ;) I hope you have better luck next time!

• I have had LOADS of blood taken as my husband and I are on a "baby journey" as well. I wish you the best of luck....I know how it goes.

I always drink an extra litre of water the day BEFORE I have to have blood drawn or the day before I give blood. Higher sodium sodium foods sounds like a good idea too.

The other thing I do that REALLY helps me is I always bring a banana orange smoothie with me and sit in the chair and drink the whole thing before I leave. It really helps with the dizziness and prickly feelings I get too.

Best!

• FeeFee Raw Master

I know what you mean about feeling bruised but not being so! My arm feels the same way too.

Thanks for the ideas twitch - interestingly I had both tomatoes and celery in my lunch, but I hadnt eaten lunch before hand. Ill keep it in mind for next time though, a smoothie would be easy to fit in.

I like the idea of taking a smoothie for after too, thanks for that one. The nurse got me a glass of water and that helped. Id drunk about a litre of water since Id got up and had the blood taken at half eleven, so actually I probably hadnt had as much water as normal. Good luck on your baby journey too - how come we get all the hard nasty stuff and the male folk have hardly anything!!!

• I wonder if you have had a lot of blood draws recently, since it may indicate bruised, irritated or collapsing veins. When you have had blood drawn often, it can cause the veins to become swollen and not allow for sufficient blood draw.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I never liked having blood taken but have no issues, vegan or not, raw or not.

• FeeFee Raw Master

I havent had too much blood taken this year, once in May and once in October. Maybe I was just really cold and my veins wanted to hide and keep my insides warm! Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Nurses often have difficulty taking my blood too. One thing a nurse taught me was that it is easy to take blood from a vein on the front of the hand. I know it seems strange because that is not the place we are accustomed to but it works fine and doesn't hurt any more or less. Now, I tell the nurse on the front end to take it out of my hand.

Others may want to consider this if you have the same problem.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi Fee! Havent been around much recently (difficulty getting site to let me log on and also working alot!).

When I go to the doctors I walk , it takes about 10 minutes and I am always late so I walk fast, this seems to get the blood pumping round nicely and it comes out fine. So maybe a little excersice before hand may help? Good luck with the baby making!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I used to have an awful time when I needed to give blood, with nurses trying many different sites before they could get a vein and then the blood going slowly.

What fixed it was Shazam mentioned: Drinking water the day before and the morning of. Shazam mentioned a liter of water. I needed more to be really hydrated. That did the trick.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i did have a problem with an IV in my right arm but not in my left. they said they had not had that before. they don't do my right anymore. i could have told them that from previous experience. sheesh. you can always have them do your hand veins which are easier to find but a bit more painful i hear.