Favorite Sprouts?

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I'm getting a sprouting kit for Christmas. What are your favorite sprouts? Favorite bean sprouts?

Bean sprouts tend to taste so starchy and I don't like them. Are there any I should try? I'm thinking wheat grass, barley grass, and sunflower seeds right now.

Please let me know ASAP!!!

Sincerely,

zinfandel

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I love mung bean sprouts and buy them dried at my whole foods store... You can buy them already sprouted for about $4 or be like me a grow your own for about a nickle...

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I don't know if you are getting your kit from www.SproutPeople.Com or not But I would Like sugsest The Kit that sell for like $133.00 or something... It come with a lot of tools and Seed combinations... Like Russian, Italian, French, Madison Market Mix and My person Favorite, San Francisco Mix Which includes Mung, Garbonzo, Lentils Peanuts, Etc.... I Think its like 10 Different 1 lb Bags they send you... I got my kit a long time ago so it may have changed...

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

You should try to get them at an Asian store... I think the Mungs at a Asian store near me sells them for like $.60/lb... 'Best' Young Coconuts are $1.25....

Maybe I should Mention That The Growers are forced to us 'Chlorine Bleach' (To Kill any Possibe Fungi) By the FDA in order to Grow and Sell Sprouts to the Public...

I use Source Naturals, Citricidex Grapefruit Seed Extract as a Disinfectant Buring The Soaking process... You can find it at http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1054&at=0 Use My rereral Number Dew156 For a $5.00 discount of your first purchase... Join THe Referal System For a 4% Commission for anyone using your number...

If You are sprouting Your Mugs You should put some kind a weight on them... Otherwise they don't Thicken up to well and are Spindly...

• PamPam

Sunflower greens are my absolute favorite... no raw peanutty taste. But you have to sprout them in soil, not in water. However, check out sproutpeople.com for new soiless medium.

After sunflower, I go for alfalfa and clover sprouts.

Sproutpeople has some wonderful leafy sprout mixes that contain things like radish, clover, alfalfa, or garlic sprouts. Very tasty.

I am currently sprouting mung beans and lentila, both of which I like when I buy them in the store. But after a couple days sprouting at home, they have that starchy taste that I think you're describing. Not crazy about 'em. Maybe they will be better in a couple more days of cultivating!

• my definite fave are alfalfa sprouts, but i've tried clover, garlic, mung, buckwheat, chickpeas and lentils. had some chickpea sprouts in a spinach salad which was delicious and hid the starchy taste very well. happy sprouting!

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

I love lentil sprouts, they are my all time favorite, not as starchy as some of the bean sprouts and very crunchy. Sunflower seeds do NOT have to be sprouted in soil, sunflower greens should be unhulled and grown in soil in a tray, but you can sprout shelled sunnies as you would other sprouts, I recommend rinsing them a little more often, though. I love them in salads, and I love the greens too. Wheatgrass, however DOES require growing in soil or a soiless medium, as does barley grass. Those are pretty strong tasting for your first time sprouting, too. Do you dislike all bean sprouts or just mung beans? There are so many wonderful beans that can be sprouted. (Try, for example, sprouting black beans and then making the Southwestern sprouted Black Bean Burgers on this site, or hummus with some sprouted garbanzo beans).

I, too, recommend Sproutpeople for their wonderful blends. I would start with something like the Italian or French or Russian mixes and then work up to the heartier blends like Madison, Peasant or SF. Just experiment, it's incredibly cheap (and fresher and bleach-free) to grow your own, compared to buying in the store, and you'll find your own favorites in time.

Also, Sproutpeople.com has the most comprehensive tutorials (free) for learning how to sprout, you'll be an expert in no time.

It's so much fun, good luck.