Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sunflower sprouts?

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Can I just sprout raw sunflower seeds from the store instead of ordering them...? OoooOOO000OOooo

Comments

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

I'd love to know this too - I have a sprout fetish, and I am eager to get stuck into sunflower sprouts.

In fact, I think I will just go ahead and give it a shot tonight. Zinfandel, watch this space.

Someone - please just shout out if there is anything poisonous or toxic to beware of!!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Do it to it Derryckl! You rock! Let me know what your favorite sprouts are if you have the chance. Spread the love.

Sincerely,

Z

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Most everyone sprouts their own seeds anyway. All you need with a top with holes it in or a big bowl and some mesh or cheesecloth. Soak the seeds overnight and then rinse and drain, and put in the jar and secure the top or in the bowl with the cloth. Rinse every 3-4 hours if you can and in a day or two they should have tails and if you wait longer the tails will be longer.

• Does the jar or bowl need ventilation then? Placed in a warm environment? Just asking, as I've never sprouted anything.

Can I sprout the baby broco-sprouts I've seen the grocery store? They are young broccoli sprouts and are even more nutritious than mature broccoli...

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

If you want sunflower greens (baby sunflower plant), you need a sprouting tray, and you need to start with the sunflower seeds that are in the shell - black shell ones are recommended. Soak overnight (they float, so it's tricky to keep them under the water), rinse & put in a sprouting tray with a cover, rinse twice a day. After two days, you take off the cover, keep them in dim light for another two days, then in bright light after that. Keep rinsing twice per day the whole time. If you are just talking about ordering hulled sunflower seeds versus buying them locally, to sprout a little tail, then no, you shouldn't need to order them.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

You definitely can sprout broccoli. I made radish sprouts a couple of weeks ago. The peppery radish aroma was super strong. They were really good.

Make sure to drain all the water off after rinsing. Too much water will rot the sprouts. The jar or bowl needs lots of ventilation. I think the sprouts will work in warm and cool environments, though they probably grow a bit faster if the temperature is a bit warmer.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

You don't need a sprouting tray. You can just use a jar or bowl. Yes it needs ventilation and you don't actually need a top...just while they are sprouting (after soaking) you don't want water in them except when you rinse them and for them to be moist. I think they should be out of the sunlight..just read that somewhere

• You can get broccoli sprouting seed at iherb.com made by Now foods. They also have a zesty sprouting mix that is a very good mix. I put the broccoli and the zesty mix together and make sprouts all the time.

I use a Biosta sprouter and it works great, so easy.

Angie is right, if you want a lot of full grown sunflower seeds with green leaves then follow her directions. You can harvest the first lot and then the slower ones come up so you get a second harvest.

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

Dovesinna, , usually I have two or three sprout "trays" going at the same time. I have been using (so far) a couple of salad containers to do my sprouts - like the Earthbound clear ones. In the top one, I make some holes to prevent the sprout seeds from getting soggy, the water runs through and gets caught in the second one (instead of on my kitchen floor)!

Current sprouts on the go: Kamut, and various lentil sprouts...

I plan to pick up a proper sprouter very soon. I am heading to Toronto sprouts this weekend, and I hope to fall in love with a sprouter there and make it my own.

Another quick q (probably totally silly) - does wheat grass come from wheat seeds? Or is it a special kind of wheat? or grass?