Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hand Cranked Applainces

Hello!

My husband and I are trying to work our way slowly off the grid. We have not moved from the city and built our house yet :-) but we're starting to think about selling our counter top appliances and investing in some hand-crank ones.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I think we'd keep our Vitamix just because...it's so irreplaceable...but we'd like to get rid of the dehydrator, food processor, and mixer.

Will a food mill substitute for a food processor? I guess they make solar powered dehydrators...anyway, any input from those in the know would be much-appreciated.

Debra

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I recently went to a gadget party and a dear Amish woman had the most fabulous hand-crank food processor! It only cost her about $12 and it chopped up sweet potatoes (raw) like they were butter! I have to get the name for you, can't find my notes right now. There were different attachments for grating, juicing, but the 2-blade (actually a couple of them attached to one shaft) really chopped thru things quickly. And the more you wound it up, the finer it got.

There are plans for sun-powered food dehydrators online. Depending on where you live, some people just buy nets and put them over their foods in the sun.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Handcrank juicer! Search Healthyjuicer in google. Mine is in the maiiiiiilllll! woo! Way to be off the grid. tre cool.

• Thanks for mentioning this. I was thinking of getting a cuisinart but I don't really like them, too big and fancy. So I looked in Amazon under hand food processor and there are loads of choices. I sent for one that is about $25 with the shipping and does grating, whipping, juicing and chopping.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

wow!

thanks for posting this,i want to know this too!

rawmama-

is that hand-crank food processor looks like a meat grinder or grain mill?

or food mill like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips-Food-Mill/dp/B000I0MGKE

freepam-

which one is that?

i will keep my vitamix too but everything else i wish i can go no electricity.

• Hi Okra,

It was this one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JR02TM

I put hand food processor in search and there were many cheaper but they only had the whisk and the cutters. This one has all kinds of extras - that may or may not work - no reviews yet.

I'm looking forward to getting it.

Sorry for my delay...the one that she had was:

Kitchen Plus 2000TM 20pc Hand Operated Food Processor

It is on amazon.com. I did a search for hand food processor and bingo, there it was! :) $25- $18.79 on amazon.

It really was amazing, I could not believe how easy it was for her to chop up hard produce...it really was a breeze! Hope this helps...

• beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

Wow, thanks all for the great ideas! I think I will try the KitchenPlus to start then work my way through. I had found some great hand cranked things at Lehman's but they were way, way out of our budget. Nice to see there are some options out there that we can afford.

• Wow, now I finally know what to call my handy dandy hand crank food processor! I got it at a thrift store for 2.50, it only has the blade and a mixing attachment but, DANG can it chop some veges quick! Kitchen Plus 2000. Mine's red and I love it. Easy to use and easy to clean.

I bought it and thought, oh, it won't work, but for the price, what have i got to lose?

It works and i recommend it. I'd pay $25 for that set up.

I wonder if they sell the attachments separately....... I wouldn't use them all but I'd like a couple of them, like the lid and some of the slicers and graters, mmm...

I try to make nut butter in it but it won't get creamy. Still tasty, though.

• Hi zucchini,

Mine is on it's way so when it gets here I will look on the box and see if you can order extra parts. I'll post it here if I find any info for you.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Wow dudes that hand cranked food processor looks awesome! I would benefit fro one of those. Maybe you could make smooth nut butter by grinding a very long time and adding a little bit of oil? ;-)

• okraokra Raw Newbie

rawmama, freepam,zucchini breath,

thank you guys that great info!!!

i will get one!

so excited!!!

love you all!

You are welcome! :) It's a keeper...do you have a Boscov's store near you? A friend of mine said that she saw them there recently! It'd be worth calling them and seeing if it is available locally...

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi everyone..i noticed a good price on that kitchen plus 2000 here: http://www.ckbproducts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2889