Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long to keep juice?

derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

Hiya, all you lovely people..

I am getting into my juices. Great for breakfast, I find. However, I want to make the juice the night before, and keep in the fridge for imbibing in the morning...

Is there a problem with that? Does the nutritional quality of the juice degrade overnight? And if so, why? I am curious that way...

Is this any different if I have mixed juices stored? Do they interact with each other? Juice combining issues?

This will be really useful information, because I am considering making juices to be my "on-the-road" nutrition (for long trips).

Comments

• You know, that's a really good question and one that I too was going to ask a little ways down the road. I haven't started the raw foods yet, still reading up and saving up for a dehydrator and Vita-Mixer.

I work the night audit shift at a hotel and will not have access to a blender for the eight hour shift.

Can I take a juiced blend with me? I do plan on preparing some interesting stuff to eat as a main meal but would also like some input on recommended 'snacks' and stuff to munch on.

I must say, currently, I do get heartburn in the early morning hours and wonder if the raw foods way to go will help with that?

• Hi Derryckl,

I love juices. I normally have them for breakfast and for dinner. I always mix cucumber, celery and lemon. Two days ago, I bought Jason Vale's book with have nice recipes. I made this morning one of his recipe which includes pinapple, lemon and mint. It was lovely!!

I don't know about the storage of the juices because I drink them right away. But I found the following for you.

http://www.gillianmckeith.info/yourbody/food/juicing/index.php

Storage of juices : It is best to drink freshly squeezed juices straight away as they may lose some nutrients and enzymes if you store them. If you do have to make them in advance, add a squeeze of lemon juice to help prevent oxidation. Store in a flask in the fridge!

Also, you may want to check the Raw Reform website. Angela is well known in the raw community. She has an e-book about Juice Feasting. You can get good information in her book. http://store.rawreform.com/product_info.php?products_id=1001316

Hope it helps!!

• If I drink fresh-squeezed green juice within 24 hours I don't notice too much difference. I'll make 1.5 quarts a day, drink a glass after I make it and save the rest for the next two meals.

It tastes better right after I make it. I notice a distinct color change in the juice after 24 hours. And I don't get as "buzzed". :)

36 hours is my absolute time limit. If I do have a little bit left in the jar after 24 hours I add the leftovers to the next fresh batch.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I think 8-12 hours would be ok. but about a max.... fill containers as much as possible to avoid contact w. air. prolly better to keep colder. i would think smoothies wouldnt matter as much as they are not as delicate :) yummy.

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

Thanks guys - I could hug all of you - So, *oxidation* is the big enemy.. I am totally cool with the lemon idea. Thanks for all your tips. I don't expect to want to keep it more than 8 hours. Last thing at night (make), first thing in morning (drink)... I can just about remember that sequence...

And the full cup (Z, makes so much sense) - and the Gillian link (she's quite big in Britain - or at least she was a few years ago). I'll check it out...

My road trips are not very long (< 12 hours) - and if it is a long road trip, I will take the juicer fer sure..... I already have got the "I left my juicer at home" tee-shirt. And it's nasty.

derryckl- i ordered the healthyjuicer i think that was per your recommendation. i am SO EXCITED. i don't know if its normal...then again i am not very normal.

ill probably let you know how it goes because i have a hard time keeping my big mouth shut about these things. should come monday

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

that healthyjuicer company has a nutrivac product meant to keep juices fresh and preserve all the nutrients. It keeps air out for three months...it's coming out soon

http://www.lexenproducts.com/

o nice. i like that they don't push the marketing too much.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

ooh this is one area where i have personal expertise! The more sugar your juice has in it the longer it will keep. Straight fruit juice will be ok for 24-36 hrs stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Green juices go bad quickest. Don't keep these longer than 8 hrs or they start to taste funky. Pineapple and papaya both have enzymes in them that will digest other juices they are mixed with. Keep these juices separate until you are going to consume them, then mix in with whatever you want to drink them with. Always keep your juice in a non-leaching airtight container in the fridge. Light, temperature, and air will degrade your juice. I recommend KleenKanteens for storing, or amber glass jars (or regular mason jars too). Masticating juicers oxidize least so if you've got one of these your juices may last longer. Juices made in a vitamix or blendtec actually rupture cell walls so you will get more nutrients, but they oxidize faster since it pulls air in when blending. Hope that helps! Happy juicing!

• A great way to store fresh foods and juice is in glass. Everything lasts so much longer!!! I use cheep ball canning jars. Try it you will love it!!!

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

Blending in a vitamix or blendtec is blending not juicing. It keeps all of the fiber in the drink, and you consume the whole food. It is my preference. I find green smoothies keep for about 24 hours, but I generally drink them within 4-6. I make one fresh for breakfast, and an extra one I take to work for lunch.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

you can juice in the blender if you blend then strain through a nut mylk bag. its really quick and simple to do.

• Hi Derryckl,

Jason Vale from www.juicemaster.com wrote in his book '7 lbs in 7 days' the same thing that Gillian Mckeith for juice storage "It is best to drink freshly squeezed juices straight away as they may lose some nutrients and enzymes if you store them. If you do have to make them in advance, add a squeeze of lemon juice to help prevent oxidation. Store in a flask in the fridge!"

He recommends using Sigg Flask to store them. You can buy it on his website. But you can also buy it cheaper in main web page of the brand www.sigg-aluminium.co.uk - I am not sure if the deliver to where you live. But you can check with them.

I would prefer to storage the juice in glass like mason jars but I haven't seen them in London :-(

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Juiced foods should be drank within 30 minutes to an hour depending on the machine that was used to juice.

Smoothies (like blended green smoothies) have all the fiber in them so they oxidize slower. You can store these for up to FOUR DAYS (taste will tell if they are still good)... I suppose this means they lose their nutrients at a slower rate.

Strawberry - I now live in Toronto, previously Sheffield and London (UK). I'll have a look around here for the Sigg flask. Is it really aluminium? (aluminum as they say around here...) - thanks a ton. I feel as if I have learned so much about juicng in the last 24 hours - and all thanks to you lovely people!

I have decided to incorporate more juicing in my life, I have done it a few times for breakfast, and I like how it feels. I was just listening to Angela Stokes just talking about a meal plan, and it seems like such a good idea. Until now, I have been doing a meal journal (looking back)...

• Hi Derryckl - I do believe it is really aluminium. I bought one litre flask last Monday. I put it on my freezer to keep it cold for my juices to take them with me to work. However, I haven't started doing it yet ;-)

If you can, could you let me know more about Angela Stokes' meal plan? I am interested in learning more about juicing.

Have a nice weekend!!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi Strawberry, I think Ikea do flip top glass bottles, which would be useful for storing juice. I bet they'd be pretty cheap too. I keep meaning to get some myself but have to sum up enough energy to make it through the maze of a place!

• Hi SV3, do you mean this one....

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40065867

I like the idea :-) .....Thanks!!!

Strawberry - I heard Angela talking on Raw Summit. I had no idea that she was Brit. I switched to meal plans today.

Can you drop me a note at derryck.lamptey@gmail.com ?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

If I put fresh juice in a jar, placed a plastic baggy on top, and sealed the lid over the bag, would that keep the air out for just hours, or would the air still penetrate?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi Strawberry, that would work, although the one's I had in mind are more like proper large bottles but I can't find them on their website. I don't think they show everything on their website, but if I find it, I'll let you know.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

For me the most effective way to preserve food is with a Vacuum Sealer (or is it Vacuum Saver?). I use wide mouth mason jars (have 1/2 pint and pint sizes) and try to fill them to the max based on the manufacturer's recommendations. I use them to store food in the fridge and in the freezer, as well as dry goods in the pantry. There were several threads running on this subject earlier this year. Here are a couple with some good information. An Advanced Search for Vacuum Sealer or Vacuum Saver will give you more information.

http://www.goneraw.com/node/17530

http://www.goneraw.com/node/15142

For smoothies to take on the go, I use glass bottles like those Sobe and Arizona green teas are sold in. Fill them to within about 1/2 inch of the top (for a little "shake it up" room). This leaves a minimum of air exposure. These bottles also fit in the cup holder of most cars, making them even more convenient.