Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

30th day..a little worried

Hey everyone!

I'm on my 30th day all raw! I'm feeling awesome, but I have a couple questions.

I mostly eat a lot of bananas, berries, celery, spinach, oranges, clementines, mangos, strawberries, apples, kale, avocado, bell peppers and occasionally nuts and seeds.

I'm already skinny as it is, but I'm worried I'm not eating enough vegetables. I get usually close to or over 2000 calories a day, and I'm 6'2. I haven't weighed myself since before the raw diet, but I WAS about 150 or 155. Anyways, I don't eat many vegetables unless it's in my daily salad. Often I just make smoothies out of 4 bananas, berries, strawberries and like 4 to 6 cups of spinach. I feel fine, but it seems like most other raw foodies eat a lot more salads than I do. THey just don't taste that good to me. And nuts and seeds only seem attractive a few times a week. Same with avocados. Some days I just eat a bunch of fruit.

Does it seem like my diet is fine how it is?

And this question is a little more involved, and it's about my bowels haha, so if you don't want to read on, feel free to stop!

Anyways, every morning I poop, then once I eat, I have to poop again. It's like the second I eat a big meal anymore I need to poop. It's not solid poop, but it's not diharrea status yet either. Is this all part of detox? I still have some body odor sometimes as well, so I'm assuming I'm not fully done transitioning. I don't know if this is unhealthy, but I'd like some second opinions.

Comments

• I think it is okay to poop just about 1 time for each meal you have. When my diet is mostly smoothies, I poop very often as well. About 3 times a day. But if it is really watery...then I don't know! Mine can be very soft, too..but I wouldn't call it diarrhea. SO, you might want to make sure you aren't having diarrhea and dehydrating or anything like that!

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I have no comment on the balance of your diet, but you can add seeds to your smoothies to get more calories. Also, I enjoy coconut oil based treats (with raw honey, goji berries, raw cacao nibs) when I need a caloric boost. Sometimes I will have some coconut oil, a scoop of raw veggie protein powder or seeds, and some honey as well.

I think your bowels will straighten themselves out. I went through what you are describing as well, and I have only been high raw for a few months, and my poop is usually perfect (and green).

• Yeah, sometimes I add coconut oil to my smoothies. And I'm starting to eat more nuts and seeds, I didn't realize how calorie dense they were...I thought I had to eat a lot more than I really do. I don't feel dehydrated either, so I'm not really sure if it is or not..

• Ok, I'm not afraid to talk about poop... lol. I will say that my bowel status has changed since going raw. I've been raw (85--100%) for about 2 months-- and in the first 2 weeks it seemed like I was constantly shitting... I didn't know if I would ever get use to it, and I was worried about it being a long term side effect, (my husband was experiencing it too.) Having struggled with constipation my whole life this was a particularly unexpected symptom. But... in the following 2--3 weeks our bodies regulated to the new diet. I don't think it was a "detox" thing, but rather just our engines adapting to an entirely different fuel... give it some more time... it's the stinky farts that I can't seem to adjust to.. lol

In regards to your diet, I think eating so much fruit would not only make you poop a lot (that's a lot of fiber) but also increase the acid level in your system, and that can be damaging to your teeth and other parts (worth looking into.) What you described as your diet doesn't sound very balanced. How do you feel about sprouted grain bread, raw cheese, and various nut butters; even if they are not 100% raw, they are still very healthy-- protein rich, filling, and more alkaline (would balance you out a bit?)

• Sounds like your diet is in good shape. The poop thing seems on par with what a lot of other people have reported and what I've experienced as well.

I was just listening to an interview with Philip McCluskey on the We Like It Raw website. During the interview he really talked a lot about paying attention to your own body and learn to take cues from it as far as what to eat. If you have energy and feel good eating what you're eating at the moment, that's a great thing. Don't get locked into a certain level of worry about one nutrient or another...about high fat vs low fat...about fruit vs vege...etc etc.

I can't really do it justice...Try listening to it if you get the chance...he does a much better job of explaining the point than I can.

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/01/interview-with.html

• ok-- pooping THAT many times a day is not right. Everyone's different, I know, but 7 to 20 times a day? Are you on a liquid diet Waterbaby?

• Don't mean to get off track LoganKost... I found information on the whole alkaline/ acid thing http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

even tho I know that was not your initial concern-- it may help you figure out if your diet is balanced. You didn't mention being vegan, so I thought cheese could help you keep your weight, or the addition of nut butters and sprouted grain bread, and oils too-- like coconut. And my personal opinion is that if you go more than 3 or 4 times a day-- it's too much.

• Thanks for the replies everyone! I REALLY appreciate it. I have started eating more nuts and seeds today, and it's easier than I thought to eat just an ounce of them, not much at all. As far as the alkaline/acid thing, according to that site I'm eating VERY few items that are considered more towards the acidic side, so I think I'm doing fine to be honest. I'm going to start adding more nuts and seeds, and eating a little bit more greens. And raw cheese is definitely out of the option as I am Vegan. But the nuts and seeds seem to be a great source for calories.

Also, I've been trying to research the effects of raw food on teeth, but I can't seem to find any concrete research. Anyone have any PERSONAL experience as to whether or not your teeth have been doing fine on a raw diet over an extended amount of time? I would start another thread, but I figure I might as well keep this thread going, I'm sure it could be very useful for other people!

• I've noticed select teeth are more sensitive than others, and one appears to have started to thin towards the gum. I am on a high fruit raw 100% most of the time, so I'm not sure as to whether or not the sugar from fruit has caused this?? I am big on hygiene with regular dental checkups and have never had a cavity, so I don't think a cavity is forming, but does anyone else know if fruit sugar has damaging effects to teeth??

Oh, and pooping 5 or more times a day is healthy - just to get it out there** Raw is about eliminating toxins and waste from the body, and pooping more often means your getting rid of toxins and waste buildup faster which = weight loss.

• Hi all! This has been a really helpful thread. i am on day 5 of 100% raw - have been working up to it over the last 6 months but recently went from about 60% raw to 100%. i feel great although i have irritable bowel and my stomach/intestine are still reactive to 100% new foods. however I found that after two days of 100% raw, i got a terrible stomach ache when i had a cooked meal of rice & steamed veges -- i couldn't eat it! so i feel this is obviously what my body wants -- no turning back. :-)

I have been vegetarian most of my life and so beans and rice were a huge staple in my diet. I keep feeling like I should be eating my rice or bean mix for protein, I'm not sure where the protein comes from in the raw diet? Do most of you take a protein powder supplement or are nuts, seeds, fruit and veges enough? i'm trying to acquire a taste for sprouted lentils but so far not my favorite.

Also, with grains, is it important to eat the sprouted breads, oat groats, etc? i have a physical disability that makes it really hard for me to swallow so i have to put everything in the vitamix and these sprouted grains just don't grind up well (they end up gritty & hard to swallow).

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm so glad i found this forum!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

LoganKost~ If it is calories you want, then add a handfull of nuts or seeds to your smoothies...

You might want to research acid/alkaline foods for yourself as some of the advise here isn't on the mark...

Raw cheese isn't Vegan either, as I'm sure you are aware...

As far as poop goes, I have been 95-99% raw for almost 14 months and I still go before my morning fruit smoothie and after.... Before and after my mid-day green smoothie.... Before and after my evening salad, nut pate and seed crackers... And most nights before bedtime... Believe it or not when I first went raw, 20 or more times a day was nothing for me... I wouldn't worry about pooping, it's NOT pooping that is a problem,unless it is all watery all the time...

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I Think a lot of folks think that because they eat a "Raw Vegetarian" Diet, They Don't Get enough Vitamins and Minerals...

As For "Me", I Supplement My Diet with Spirulina, Chlorella, Alfalfa, Bee Pollen and a Few Herbals... A Little Goes a long way in a smoothie... But You Must Not '"Fear Green" Because thats what you get...

You Should Look Up The Above Mentioned Supplements too check out there properties... These Four Supplements are "Perfect Foods" ... Name Something Its Got It... I Like The "Now" Brand Of These Superfoods... Very Tasty... (Careful WIth Bee Pollen... You May be Allergic...)

www.IHerb,com Has GREAT Info and Customer Reviews On The Supplements you are Looking For... And Great Prices, 12 Oz Organic Cocoa for like Six Bucks... The more often You Buy Something There, The Deeper You Discount Gets. I'm at 13-15% Discount Now...

Use My Referral Code DEW156 For $5.00 Of Your First Purchase... Join The Referral System There and Get Your Own Referral Code... EveryTime Someone Uses Your Code You Get a 4% Commission...Your "Referrals Code", will Get You a 3% Commission... Then 2% and 1% ... You Make a Commisson On 4Four Transactions If Your Code has Been Used Once...

What Other Company Does That, I'd Like To Know...

Nicole~ Rarely do I eat grains... I sprouted spelt and made crackers in my dehydrator, they were ok... Can you eat crackers, as I have some tasty recipes using seeds and nuts.... I also made rejuvelac with the sprouted spelt but that is it....

I don't have a need for grains... I do use Hemp seeds and powder for a protein source as well as my pumpkin, sunflower, almond,cashews, pecans, walnuts and macadamias.... There is protein, although small amounts, in our fruits and vegies...

Good luck with your new "Raw Vegan" journey, sure hope my tid bits help in some small way... smile

• In response to dental health, this is just my experience but worth mentioning. In the beginning of this year i chipped the inside corner of one of my incisors on an exceptionally hard nectarine pit. It was very small i forgot about it quickly. One day at work after eating i went to rinse my mouth and checked my teeth for any salad remnants. I realized the chip was gone! I fuckin grew back!! Yes, I was as shocked as most of you are lol. The new growth was visible, you could see where the original chip was, defining the area where it "sprouted" from. My dentist was amazed. Sadly it was still weak, and re-chipped recently. I am thinking of taking a picture this time in case it regrows once more :).

• Hey reciprocipe!

I just saw your post about stinky farts... LOL Boy, can I relate! At one point, mine was SO bad that I was passing up social events and staying home. I couldn't stand to be in a room by myself, much less subject anyone else to it! Could not figure out what in the world was causing it. Tried eliminating different foods I thought it might be, but no relief. Then I stumbled upon some very helpful information. I read somewhere that combing fruit and fat can create this problem. Digestion of the fruit, which is naturally very quick, gets slowed down by the fat, and the sugars ferment in the gut, causing foul-smelling gas. When I started separating these two things, PRESTO, the stinky gas left. I mean, I still have an ocassional, not too ridiculous, passing of gas, but like normal. Every once in a while, I feel the need to test my theory (stupid, I know!). And, without fail, almost every time I eat them together, the horrible smelling gas returns. So, as much as I like almond butter on a banana, I save my fats for a salad meal, or a treat after my fruit has digested. Don't know if this will help you at all, but thought I'd share just in case.

Good luck,

Belinda

• thank you guys for the help. i get a stomach ache when i eat the spirulina and chlorella unfortunately. is there one supplement that has goji, acai, etc or do i have to buy them all separately?

Nicole~ Bee pollen isn't Vegan....

Spriulina and chlorella are wonderful super foods to add to your smoothies... I also use goji berry, acai, aloe vera juice, chia seed, cacao nibs, non-gmo lecithin, grape seed, raspberry seed, cranberries, kiwi and an orange every morning with spirulina and live water...

GSE is also wonderful to have on hand... let me know if you need more info on it...

You could use my referral code NEC378 at www.iherb.com and receive a $5 discount on your first order...

Nicole~ I use the goji berry that is dried and packaged by itself.... You can get acai as a frozen pulp or a freeze dried powder, I use the powder and have really enjoyed the convenience of adding a tablespoon to my morning fruit smoothie... It may also be cheaper than the frozen pulp...

Back to the spirulia~ I put a half teaspoon of the powdered spirulia in my morning fruit smoothie and don't know it''s there.... Have you tried it in a smoothie???

Bee Pollen is a potent source of energizing nutrition. It contains 18 amino acids, DNA, RNA, vitamins A, B-1, B-2, niacin, B-6, B-12, pantothenic acid, folic acid, C, D, E, K, choline, inositol, rutin and other bioflavanoids, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, 10 types of enzymes, coenzymes, and many other nutritional factors.

Vegan or Not, Thats a pretty good Resume....

This one Looks Yummy...

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=3401953557383215175&at=0

Organic Goji Berries, Organic Mulberries, Wild Incan Golden Berries, Organic Cacao Nibs, Raw Cashews

this page On www.IHerb.com Has Lots of Combo berry Powders...

http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?c=1&kw=berry power

My Referral Code is DEW156 For $5.00 off your first purchase... Read up on and Join their referral program... It a Win Win Type program... Also the more often you buy at IHerb.com the Deeper your Discounts get... I Get like 13-15% off everytime... Orders over $60 Get Free Shipping...

Heres One For Powders... http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?c=1&kw=berry power powder

• Thank you! I will have to try this (before my husband divorces me...lol)