Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

trying to go raw/be healthier

Hi

I started reading and researching the raw vegan diet about 6 months ago, I've been vegan for about 5 years and got really enthusiastic about the whole raw thing and thought it sounded amazing, but have been travelling around this year so was just thinking about starting it when I finished. Now I've got back home and full of enthusiasm for going raw but I'm not really sure what to do now...

I've already added loads more raw food into my diet, lots of fruit and salads, but want to try making some other meals and getting a bit more variety in but I feel a bit stuck.

I'm not really aiming to go 100% raw, more just want to cut out all the processed foods and eat a lot more nutritiously. I've got quite a few things that aren't raw but I think are ok for the moment, like some dates, seeds, cocoa powder...I think its better for me to be eating some non raw things than something heavily processed and full of refined sugar and stuff.

Anyway I had a look at loads of recipes on here earlire and just felt overwhelmed as they all seem to involve an ingredient I don't have. I went shopping earlier and bought some fruit and veggies, and some millet and linseed which I'm not really sure if its raw or what I can do with it...can I sprout it? It just seemed really healthy. I also bought some nori sheets, I don't know if they're raw either but it seems like a step in the right direction making a nori wrap instead of a sandwich. And I've started sprouting some chickpeas as well to maybe make a raw burger or something, oh and I bought a load of raw nuts too.

Today I've eaten:

porridge which wasn't raw but just made with water and I added a banana, dates, figs and goji berries for breakfast

lunch was a salad of lettuce, carrot, tomato, mushrooms, mixed seeds (hemp, flax, sunflower and pumpkin I think), more goji berries and half an avocado

Then later on I had a nak'd bar as a snack

And for dinner I had a go at making a raw soup...blended up carrot, spinach and red pepper in a food processor and heated it on the stove but I didn't let it get too hot (I read that 40 degrees c is when its hot to touch), but I added some dried herbs which I don't think were raw. And also had a clementine for dessert.

Does this sound like an ok way to start off? I'm just trying to make things made of whole ingredients rather than ready made things and not worry too much if everything isn't raw but try and make something as raw as possible when I can.

I just feel like its a really hard thing to start, to get into the habit of making and eating differently. How do I decide what to buy when I go shopping? I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me and if it sounds like I'm starting off ok?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I think a good way to tell if you are doing well is to see if you are feeling better! you can't let yourself be bogged down in what's 100% raw and what's not. you have to just base your diet on fruits, veggies, seeds, and nuts and the rest of the things will be for flavor, such as nori, etc. dates ARE raw.

yes the recipes on here call for things like maca, etc. but you can usually skp that. the best part about raw is the flavors that are there don't change because you don't cook them, so just taste it and if it's good, eat it!

and keep in mind you are trying to be healthier than before. me, raw nuts that are possibly steamed are WAY better than roasted ones that made me bloated and put on weight. so it's a matter of degrees of health.

good luck!

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

The Number One Best Tasting Nuts in the World are The Sprouted One... Ymmmmmmmmmmy.........

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

When it comes to mad kitchen skillz, some people have them, some people don't. I think a lot of people who post recipes here have always been into food and cooking and eating...whether it's conventional, vegetarian, vegan or raw. So keep that in mind if you're following along at home!

As a vegan, did you usually cook for yourself? Then you're probably not as lost as you think. If you're not going 100% you might want to try flipping your meals so instead of a cooked breakfast, have a cooked dinner. You can do fruit or a smoothie in the morning, a salad at lunch, and your usual vegan dinner. (Or have the porridge for dinner.)

Otherwise, I agree, raw soups are a great way to go and usually very easy - no need to heat anything on the stove, really. Just blend, pour into bowls, top with herbs and some walnuts or whatever you like. Raw pasta is usually easy too, with noodles made from beets, cucumber, or zucchini. Nori rolls too - you can do veggies alone, or make a nut paste to go with it. Speaking of nut paste, there's also hummus - look for one with zucchini - with raw crackers or just veggie sticks.

And I don't worry about dried herbs, spices, or most condiments. Some things that are great to have around that aren't exotic are garlic, ginger, cilantro or parsley, lemon, olive oil, nama shoyu, and cayenne pepper. But just do the best you can and enjoy food!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Just start by making one recipe you like the look of. When I first heard about raw food I tried making a lemon tart. The ingredients were really just lemons, and nuts, but woweee! I loved the taste so much that I then make mock salmon mousee, which was amazing. Then I had 2 raw things I loved to eat. And it just grew from there. I just kept discovering easy and cheap, do able delicious recipes I could eat every day. I never intended to be 100% either, but it just happened along the way. Now I am ver 4 years in and it doesn't seem like it has been hard work or difficult, it has been a real pleasure.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

To answer your question directly, you are off to a good start by limiting processed foods and incorporation more raw food. I am only about 4 months in on a high raw lifestyle, but the thing that makes it easiest for me is of course the green smoothie. Try adding one of those to your daily meals (or more).