Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chia seeds!

seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

Hey y'all. As more and more people discover the amazing benefits of chia seeds, more and more ways to use them come up!

How do you eat them? How often? How do you feel?

I eat about 1/4 cup a day, generally added to smoothies or raw soups. For breakfast I love blending some fruit to make a chunky smoothie, adding in 1/4 cup of chia seeds, a handfull of goji berries, some maca powder, and sometimes a tablespoon of raw tahini to make it creamy. The chia seeds soak up the liquid, making a "porridge" type consitency. This combo seriously keeps me full for up to 6 hours if I don't get a chance to eat later on in the day before coming home from school/work.

I feel so energized and nourished since I started eating chia seeds on a daily basis, which has been for 5 months now.

-seaweed

Comments

• I love my chia seeds.

I go pretty plain with them.

I put 1 Tbsp in a bottle with about 12 oz of water in the morning, shake it up and I pop it in my gym bag.

Once I'm done with my work out I shake 'em again and drink them up. Sometimes I'll have a banana or two as well. I love the texture and the clean freshness they seem to have with just water.

I plan to make some recipes with some ground chia seeds as a thickener, but I doubt I'll ever give up my post workout chia gel. yum.

• I put one tablespoon of chia seeds in my breakfast smoothie, along with sesame, hemp and pumpkin seeds. I figure I'm covering all the bases with those 4. Then cocao and cinnamon and I never get tired of it.

I also have used chia gel as an egg substitute in healthy cookies before I went raw. As soon as my dehydrator arrives I'm going to try cocao macaroons using some chia gel to hold them together.

• Glad I found this post. I got excited when I saw chia seeds at my market. I immediately bought them then forgot why I wanted them. How else do people use chia seeds?

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

Newby here - what are chia seeds; where do they come from?

• my favorite breakfast is a quarter of a cup of chia seeds, a sprinkle of buckwheat groats, raisins, chopped up almonds, and cinnamon almond milk.

yay!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"Cha-cha-cha-chia pet!"

LOL.

here ya go macANoogie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica

And for those who are not old enough for that jingle above to be familiar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chia_Pet

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Oh my goodness! That company is still around- they have an Obama Chia.

http://www.chia.com/

BTW- I don't think it would be wise to eat the chia off of those products without finding out if the clay is food safe or not.

While on that note: does anyone here sprout chia? I have a time or two. But I prefer non-mucilaginous seeds; they are less work to me.

• We cannot go without our daily dose of Chia Seeds!!

Love Them Crazy!!! :)

I know this is bad, but this is how we eat them.

3-4 Tbsp. chia seeds

1 cup nut milk of choice

1 tsp. vanilla

dash cinnamon (approx. 1/4 tsp.)

splash of agave

Yum-Yum- YUMMY!!! :)

Snowdrop has a lot of great info. on her blog about chia seeds.

She has also posted a link to a pdf from Angela Stokes' cheat sheet.

The cheat sheet has more information about the great benefits of

Chia Seeds. Lots of Info!

http://adkrawfood.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

• I make 'protein meal shakes' with chia seeds, and keep them in the fridge for a day or two. What I love most is the tapioca-pudding-like texture -- very satisfying! It's a great quick meal and yes, it really does stick with you!

I'll use:

a big glass of water (probably 16+ oz)

a dash of nut milk or coconut water (depending on what I've got)

two scoops of raw protein powder (I use Thor's Raw Power in Chocolate)

bit of maca powder, cinnamon, and stevia (agave if I want more carbs)

a tablespoon or two of raw cacao powder

Vitamineral Green or spirulina

Then after it's all blended together, I add 2-3 tbsp of chia seeds, depending on how big my shake is. I leave it, covered, in the fridge for at least an hour to chill and for the chia seeds to expand.

The end result is a spoonable protein pudding. OK, if that doesn't sound too tasty, believe me, it's very satisfying. ^_^

Kristen Suzanne has a Holiday Chia Pudding that I've been meaning to try:

http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2009/04/holiday-chia-pudding-recipe-raw-vegan.html

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

simply raw, i eat something similar with the chia. why do you say it is bad?

i like them with buckwheaties. nut milk, cinnamon, berries and maybe some yacon or agave.

i don't really like them in smoothies as it makes it too thick unless you drink it fast.

• You know I used to have a Chia-pet when I was a kid -- well, I guess I still am a kid -- but I never put one-and-one together that Chia seeds were used on the Chia-pet, silly me.

I also think they thicken up smoothies too much, prefer hemp powder in smoothies. I like 'em mixed with water for a mid-day refuel.

Thanks for the "protien pudding" firebreather, I am going to have to try that. Sounds pretty good!

• bitt - It was just a funny. :)

Something this great and great for you!!

It has to be bad!! hehe

LOL and Smiles!!! :)