Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

stinky chickpea sprouts

Hey all! So I have just now started to try to sprout things after 5 months of being raw (I was lazy and it sounded complicated). I am sprouting chickpeas right now and I noticed after i soaked them initially that they have a strange smell. Not rotten, it almost smells like a chemical smell. Is this normal? I rinsed them during the soaking a few times, but there was a period where my boyfriend was supposed to rinse and didn't. Same with while they are sprouting (he is lazy too;) What do you think? Scrap them? The boy thinks they smell like chickpeas, I just really disagree. Chemical

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Were they organic? One time I picked up non-organic ones and sprouted them and they smelled like that.

• Same thing happened here...hoping for an answer too.

• They are organic. Do other sprouts ever smell?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hmm, that's weird. What happens if you taste one? Does the smell go away when you rinse them?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I think all legumes give off an odour when they're actively sprouting. It's not foul, but it's not sweet either. I soaked some for 12 hours then left them to sprout and I could actually hear them splitting open their skins for the tail to start growing. It was wild. Every couple of minutes, I'd hear a pop.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I've had this problem, too!

I'd like to have a more solid answer, but from what I gathered it's because they're not getting rinsed enough. I make lentil sprouts all the time and never had this problem, but when I made chickpea sprouts the first time they STUNK! Nasty-ness.

For some reason I was inclined to try again, and the second time I rinsed them at least 3x a day... no stink! I guess chickpeas just need to be rinsed a lot more than other sprouts.

Good luck and keep sprouting!

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

All Sprouts "Smell"... Personally I like the way They Smell But Then again I like to eat them as finger food and Generally Love All Of them... Garlic is Probably the strongest smelling one ... I always buy the mixes and just can't get enough... Sometimes I eat to many as they are Very Filling.