Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Elderberry POISONING???

AziahAziah Raw Newbie

I made a recipe from Pat Crockers smoothie book today that requires elderberries...something like 1/2 cup. I didn't have fresh so I used a couple tablespoons of dried. I drank most of it then gave a small glass to my 4yo who isn't feeling well (figuring it would help with the cold/flu season). 45 min later we were both vomiting. Both of us twice so far, and not to be TMI but it was a LOT.

I am reading more online and most of the websites say elderberries are safe and only a couple mention nausea/vomiting as a side effect - a result of cyanide poisoning from eating raw berries. But Crockers book called for raw anyway.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? Will it pass? I feel like I could get sick a couple more times tonite...I hope my daughter is done. I don't want to go to the ER.

Comments

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I think dried stuff is lots stronger than fresh,could be wrong.

Hope you are both feeling better soon.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

What else was in the smoothie? I hope you guys feel better soon. I hope you are able to keep your child hydrated! Sometimes it's hard to keep anything down in that state.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

The vomiting stopped for both of us after 5 hours and I had really bad diarrhea (again, sorry tmi) that continues today. But I would say we are definately on the mend. Lesson learned! So for all of you...DON'T EAT RAW ELDERBERRIES! Trust me...it is a hard lesson to learn.

• I spent some months in spain recently and ate elderberries from the tree, I became nauseous the first time I ate these and did some research. It turns out there are different kinds of elderberries and some varieties can be toxic.

If its not the cyanide in the berry, maybe it is the oxides?

They are pretty strong from the taste of the fresh berries and you cant eat too much or your mouth suffers (similar to pineapple)

It might be that you get used to it, I ate several times after the first experience (they are sooo tasty) and diidnt have any reaction, but I did control myself and reduce the intake.

Clipped from The GardenWeb Googlesearch :elderberry toxic

RE: elderberry- sambucus mexicana clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by Robert_in_MT z4 nw MT (My Page) on Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 12:10

All elderberries have some toxic chemicals in them, if you eat them raw. sambucus mexicana is the worst, do a search on CA ag website and you will come across reported deaths from this plant. sambucus can. (american elder) and sambucus nigra (black elder) are much less toxic and are the one's to use for wine and eating just cook them first.

the leaves contain a chemical that produces cyanide after digestion, so I would guess it's use as an insecticide would be limited at best.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

You know I got them from the bulk section at the health food store and all they said was "dried organic elder berries".

But it definately was a reaction and not just a detox thing. I won't go into too much details but lets just say it was the worst experience I have ever had and I am glad it only lasted as long as it did rather than go on for days.

Whether it was an allergic reaction or a cyanide reaction I don't know (my guess is cyanide based on what I researced on the computer) but either way...be careful to anyone else who might try these. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

ClaireT
  • AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Also...in my afterthought research I read that cooking or seeping the berries neutralizes the cyanide. FYI

ClaireT
  • This happened to me today! I was making smoothies for myself and my three boys (ages 8, 6, and 3) and decided to add a handful of dried elderberries because my oldest two have colds. I only drank about 8 oz. worth and felt very nauseous within half an hour or so. An hour after that, I threw up and felt much better. My 6 year old drank about 10 oz. of smoothie and he threw up about an hour after I did, and then immediately fell asleep. When he woke up he ate toast and seems to feel normal. My other two boys drank about 5 oz. and 12 oz., respectively, but so far they don't seem affected. I just ate lunch and feel fine now (it was about five hours ago that I first threw up). I, too, got my berries from the health food store in the bulk section. I suppose I should have done my research, but it would help if there was a warning label on them specifying that they ought to be cooked before consumption. I suppose most people use them to make teas and tinctures, and the poison is cooked out. So far my experience seems much milder than yours, Aziah, probably because I drank so little. I guess I'll toss the other 24 oz. out--what a waste. Ah well. You live and learn, eh? Glad I found your post! (And I hope the diarrhea will be light or nonexistent!)

• brandipbrandip Raw Newbie

The seeds, stems, leaves and roots of theElderberries are all poisonous to humans. They contain a cyanide-inducing glycoside. Eating a sufficient quantity of these cyanide-inducing glycosides can cause a toxic buildup of cyanide in the body and make you quite ill. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and even coma. Most people recover quickly, although hospitalization may be required. The fruit of the elderberry is a tiny berry, about 1/8 to ¼ inch in diameter, and about 50% of the berry is seed. Cooking the berries destroys the glycosides present in the seeds, making the berries with their seeds safe to eat. As such, the fruit of the Black Elderberry should always be cooked before consumption. Interestingly, research indicates that exposing elderberry to heat actually concentrates the polyphenols and anthocyanin's.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I used to eat them by the handful. I must have gotten lucky with a less potent variety. 

I'm glad you started feeling better!