Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I don't like fat...

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I don't like fat... is this strange? Is it okay?

It makes my body feel all slow and lethargic. Yet I feel a little spacey some times and I should be studying. I also gain weight when I eat fat. Yuck.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Same here. I barely eat any fat. Occasionally something with avocado..but I really feel much lighter and more energetic eating low fat..besides, a low fat raw diet is supposed to be best. The only fat I eat comes from young coconuts (they are actually very light, much lighter even than avocado) and occasionally I add a very small amount of raw cacao butter to stuff...other than that, nada

• beanbean Raw Newbie

that is the same with me, and it's a major relief to hear from other people who don't eat fat as well- I occasionally worry or get panicked that I'm actually harming myself by not taking in "enough" fat. Whenever I hear or read anything about essential fatty acids and omega 3's and such, and the amounts people are supposed to have I wonder whether or not I am doing the right thing- I definitely don't get "enough" by traditional standards and sometimes I have doubts about how healthy it is- so thanks for the reassurance!

• maybe add some GLA fats such as Borage oil or evening primrose to help with healthy oil intake

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I mostly gravitate toward sweeter, lighter food but sometimes my body just craves fat and the taste of it is , at those times.. very good!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

it's probably the type of fat. rawkidchef is right, coconut oil is the best fat for you, so try that one. you can hide in in a smoothie if you don't like the taste.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

When I started out eating raw, I couldn't eat more than 2 oz of nuts at a time. It would just leave me lethargic. All I wanted to do was veg out on the couch. As my digestive fire increased, I could eat a larger volume, like 3-4 oz with no effects at all. However, it's possible you're just someone who does well on a low fat diet. If you're feeling spacey, though, maybe your body is craving a little more fat to get grounded or acidic foods to balance out the possible alkalinity. LOL. :)

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

Zin, is it a particular type of fat that you can't eat? Are you talking about a pure fat like a type of oil or a a high fat item like nuts/nut butters? I say this because if you are trying to eat pure fats you really don't need to anyway as they are processed, refined and not found in nature. If you are eating things like avocados, coconuts, etc that have some fat in it you are doing great. Even bananas and greens have a bit of naturally occurring fat in them. But we really don't need a whole lot of fat anyway, a healthy range is between 10-20% of your total caloric intake.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Maybe there is a psychological reason behind behind your aversion. Balance is everything. Your BRAIN needs fat to function.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

The brain runs on carbohydrates not fat. I do eat some every week and a half or so. Thanks for advice :)

http://www.fatsforhealth.com/library/libitems/Mind Omega3.php

The human brain is more than 60% fat! The majority of fat in the brain is the type that cannot be made by the body, but must be supplied by the diet. The fats essential for optimal brain activity are the omega-3 fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and, to a lesser extent, alpha linolenic acid (ALA). The omega-3 fatty acids have beneficial properties that have been studied in the treatment of a number of mental conditions ranging from depression and bipolar disorder to schizophrenia, Alzheimers, chronic fatigue syndrome and stress.

your welcome

Many of the longest lived cultures in the world seem to do well on low fat diets, but these cultures tend to eat a lot of cooked foods. Raw fat is different qualitatively, so it's very possible we can get by, and even thrive, on much higher levels of fat. Again, we are biochemically individual, so some will need more fat, and some less.

It takes about 4 months before we can determine if a diet is really working. Listen to your body, its intelligence cannot be topped, it knows best. :)

Very nicely said achin. The only reason I have embraced this lifestyle is because I have never felt better. Calmer, happier with life in general. Now off to a Holiday dinner party where the real food is not as easy to find as at home. lol baby steps.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

At the moment I love&eat lots of fat, at least 1 big avocado a day and lots of nuts, but there were periods I hardly ate any and craved green like mad, I guess its just the body telling you what it needs at certain times, if you dont feel like eating fat then don't eat much of it, listen to your body, its knows what best for it more then anyone.

• Zin -...you post on being freaked on and hating fats, lookin for no fat dressing and your man not supporting you on not eating his mom's food or what you want to do, and having a history of anorexia, and why youlost more weight on a raw diet and are so thin at 100 lbs ...and this post you contradict saying you "also I gain weight when I eat fat, YUCK".....I gotta ask .....you post that it's about being strong and healthy - is that what you want at this point? You sound like you are still pretty scared of gaining weight and like you still have some body issues (rightfully so - no one is better in a day) by needing the boy's approval of something that at times you express to be so right. I just don't want you to hide issues by a self-constrictive form of a new diet. Check out THE RAW DANCE http://www.goneraw.com/account/show/therawdance

he talks about a form of morphing a disorder into a diet....he went on some show about it. I hope i don't piss you off, but after how you posted about your man and looking at the colmunation of your posts, I kinda see a trend. You can try to heal with this diet, like the raw dance and many others; I just hate to read posts where you are not letting go of old ways and alienating yourself with the people actually around you (like your boyfriend) because you are freaking out about what you eat. And believe me, I don't think you should go against what you feel is good for you. But If you feel it, why ask if he cares? It just seemed like you needed validation - does he know your deal? I guess it's none of my buisness, but if we are here to support each other, at least I can really try by being honest in what I see - I mean this is all pretty anonymous so why not us all be honest?

• And I know I have a big durian-head picture! Don't be scared to eat fat with this. It's not BAD...you won't get tubby. If you want this to work you need to let go a little and have faith that it's right for you,

• I'm also on low fat and I make sure my recipes are generally low on fat and nuts/seeds. I tend to use fruit and veg, adding only small amounts of oil or seeds if I need something creamy. Peas, bananas and oats are all good to add creaminess without too much fat. For omegas, just use small amounts of flax oil and seeds in recipes.

Raw Christmas

• I have a question on fats. Is 2 tbs of coconut oil, 1 sm/med avocado + a small handful of almonds deemed to much fat in one day? I am planning out my diet, i want it as balanced as possible. In addition i plan on juicing and pretty much just eating greens.

Heck no, that seems about average for a raw foodie. And it's nothin compared to the people on the street eating at Mc D's or grabbing a bag of chips for lunch.

Good for you and good raw choices!

I'll think about this and probably get back to you on this one. I guess I feel like I've never had the kind of human support that makes me feel secure with other people (mom on the rode 5 days a week since I was born, string of nannys and babysitters who all left, moved out at 16, family moved to the other side of the country, the youngest kid in my grade through highschool, drug use, eating disorder, bad friends, teen pregnancy, moving to new cities, abusive relationships). I would probably feel more comfortable as a hermit, but then I'd get lonely... Life is scary and I have big dreams. Do I know what to do all the time? No. Am I scared sometimes? Yes... Do I know what to do all the time? No... On the upside, my ibs seems to be improving.

Yes! I am hoping the very best for you & continued improvement each day. You're a peach.

Thanks so much! It really does mean a lot to hear that. I wish I knew what was the very best for me all the time ;)

Redlocks: It doesn't sound like too much fat to me, even for someone who doesn't require much. However, you might want to up the omega 3's. There's some omega 3's, I believe, in avocado, but ground flaxseed (flax oil goes rancid to quickly), chia and hemp seed (nice 3:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3)(hemp oil also goes rancid pretty quickly) are excellent sources. :)

• putting seeds on my list as i type! thanks achin70.

You're welcome, Redlocks!

You're welcome as well, gratefultobe!

LOL. :)

• This is an interesting topic to me because I grew up in a fat-phobic household. In my home, foods were divided into the "good foods" and the "fatty or bad foods". When I became vegan I started learning that not all fat is bad, buts its been a slow lesson. That being said, lately I crave fat! Over the summer and into the fall I never wanted any kind of fat except some avocado or tahini, but now I want some nuts, avocado, and tahini every day! I'm thinking its a seasonal thing...there is snow on the ground. ANybody else experience this?

Parsley: Oh yeah, you need more calories in colder weather. I remember watching a show about prehistoric humans on The Learning Channel, and during the Ice Age they needed about 3500 calories just to keep going. Fats also help to keep you warm during the fall and winter they are rich in hydrogen, which takes more energy for the body to break down, which supposedly creates heat. LOL. :)

:) achin - hey, stop sending your Seattle weather all the way down here! JK We are always in need of rain here & it's so pretty today! But Cold, so...

Parsley,

Hi, Seems I have had a fairly steady apatite for the assorted healthy fats. Just sprinkled in to the more staple items of my meals for that yum factor. But, I've haven't gone through a raw summer yet so maybe I'll see the difference then, makes sense.

Like others I've really been missing my old hot foods like soup but the last time I bothered with it, it really didnt agree with me anymore. I think I need to try a broth with some diced veggies added at the last sec.

Yeah, the whole city is pretty much shut down because of the snow. We don't know how to handle the snow here like the East Coasters-- it's business as usual when it snows there. :)

• I've been on a hot chocolate for breakfast fix! When I come back from my morning run, I love a big mug of something warm and fatty. However I am wondering how healthy this trend is because awhile back I read some stuff about only eating things like nuts and fats in the evenings because they take longer to digest. The book suggested that one should eat juicy fruits for the morning meal, heavier fruit/veg combo for lunch, and veg/fat/protein or grain for dinner. Also, my typical blend (banana, cashews, 1/2 avocado, apple, cocoa nibs, cinnamon) does not live up to food combining standards. What meal(s) do you all typically consume your fat/protein?

• Everyone has different requirements for fat depending on age, lifestyle etc. Listen to your body to see how much you need, if you're always hungry, you can probably eat more and protein too. If you feel sluggish, lack of appetite, eat less.

Raw Christmas