Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Infusing oil and vinegar

blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

So sometime in the last week I decided I wanted to start using some of the leftover glass bottles I have at home and do something with them. Some will be redecorated and used for storage of crafts or kitchen items but I have a number of old wine bottles I saved to make into insence bottles then never got around to.

For the wine bottles I decided would be a good idea to try some infused vinegars or oils.

Lol, that idea was about as far as I got because I'm low on ideas.

I am looking for your favorites on...

1) Infused oils for foods

2) Infused vinegars for foods

3) Infused vinegar to clean or use as a hair rinse(what else would be good with ACV for this?)

How long do they need to sit? What are they good for? How have you used them?

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Spinach + olive oil + vinegar + sea salt = bliss

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

You infuse the oil with spinach? Or use the oil on the spinach(In which case I agree that is good)?

If it's the first, how much and how long did you let it sit before using?

just mix olive oil and vinegar and drizzle on the spinach, and sprinkle sea salt. I guess I didn't really infuse it...but the flavors sure soak in fast if you toss everything around.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

That sounds great, but I am looking specifically on ideas of making oil or vinegars infused with different flavors.

You could infuse some sundried tomatoes which probably would rock, with a little black pepper. If you wanted to make an Indian dish then infuse some curry and saffron. Just an idea.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BLUEYZ - Infused oils make a great gift. I have made them on several occasions and everyone loves them. You still have enough time to make some in the next few days for the holidays.

I would go online and look for direction on several sites before you started just so you can feel comfortable with what you are doing. Here is a link to get you started: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_diy_people/article/0,,DIY_13752_2277178,00.html

One thing not mentioned in that article is that you want to boil (sterilize) your bottles and caps/corks. I would do this immediately so you are sure they are completely dry, especially if you are using corks, which need to dry a day or two. I you have bottles but need corks, most craft stores sell them in variety packs.

Good Luck.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

With olive oil there is garlic, sprigs of rosemary, sprigs of thyme, sprigs of tarragon, red pepper flakes or dried chili peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes sounds grand. Other, lighter oils might be nice with cardamom pods and coriander seeds, or shaved truffle.

Tarragon is also great with white vinegar and so is fruit - pineapple or mango vinegar would probably be a fabulous salad dressing.

For hair rinses I'm thinking aromatics like lavender or jasmine - not that you can find it this time of year - or some essential oil drops. Wonder if Aloe would work? Vinegar and aloe sounds like it would be great for sun-fried hair. Or maybe green tea?

Follow instructions for preserving and storage because botulism isn't a gift you want to give.