Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What is going on with my body?!!

So I have followed 80/10/10 for many many months - side effects have been receding gum lines, along with irritable moods, bad hair loss, and I started to put on fat around my waistline and under my chin. I've always been a naturally small guy and burned up calories like crazy. I also dedicate a lot of time to physical fitness. Because of these issues I have cut back my consumption of fruit DRASTICALLY. I may eat like 2-3 apples a day... possibly some berries and dates occasionally before a hard weight training or cardio workout. But that's it. I now am ingesting a high level of nuts/seeds/avocados and oils such as coconut, pumpkin, hemp, lots of vegetables, greens, sprouted grains such as Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet, etc. I am already noticing the fat around those two areas are beginning to decrease (it's only been a little over a week). What in the world is happening? I am so confused, yet at the same time intrigued.

For those reading: I used to be a major advocate for 80/10/10. NOT ANYMORE! I felt great early on but certain teeth in my mouth are pretty messed (major recession that's not reparable and yes, I brush 2-3 times daily, floss and use an all organic/natural mouth wash) up due to following this ridiculous dogma. It's funny how anyone can write a book and claim it's the 'only way.' I've learned my lesson and just in the short time I've cut my fruit back my gums have ceased receding (too bad I let it get as bad as it did), my hair is no longer falling out as if I'm prematurely destined to lose it (as is not the case for me genetically; my entire family keeps their hair - full, thick and white). Also come to find out I became incredibly sensitive to sugar and even a few pieces of fruit give me a sugar high feeling now. It messed me up pretty badly and stupidly I ignored the signs and kept on truckin' like a lot of other people do.

Note: As I said I felt great initially and when I was coming down from my sugar kick and got tired I wrote it off as normal - it's not normal. Fruit is amazing, wonderful and necessary but it will more likely than not cause you extreme problems if you stick to this principle of raw foods. I advise you proceed with extreme caution and don't be duped into believing Doug Graham's word as "truth," or the "correct," way. If it works for you and you have no intention of ever stopping, fine, ignore these words. But to those that truly care about prolonged health of their bodies, minds, teeth, hair, adequate nutrition - please, please pay attention to how your body truly reacts.

With that said if anyone could shed some light on my question above it would be quite appreciated. Thank you kindly and wishing everyone the best and most amazing health,

David

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I was doing the 80/10/10 thing. Still am. But now I've been making blended greens via energy soup my main intake because it doesn't affect my blood sugar levels. Oh, and I'm allergic to bananas :( Bummer.

Interesting story though. I'm glad your on your way to better health.

• I'm glad to hear your story, Sieze. I was about to do the 80-10-10 thing full bore. I think what it comes down to is that we are not all the same. We have different histories and systems. Nothing works for everyone.

I just can't understand how you gained belly weight on 10% of fat. Isn't it annoying when things don't make sense at all?

On his forum over on vegsource Dr D seems to imply that if the diet doesn't work for you, then you are probably not following it correctly. But I followed the Bernstein diabetes diet and the Rosedale diet, both high in fats and protein and low in carbs and they didn't work for me over time.

Then there is that guy in Australia who is leaping over tall mountains every day on mostly scads of fruit with no problems.

I really wish there was just one way that we could all follow and be healthy. No matter how hard it was it would be worth it.

Thanks for sharing.

• You should also ask on http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/ where Doug may answer

Can you write what you ate in a day?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I'm glad to hear you're doing better these days. I tend to agree that 811 is a tough one. As for the added fat, I hear a very low-fat diet can sometimes have the opposite effect - it can cause the body to "hoard" or store fat for its future needs.