Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What's the best raw food Book/Other books?

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I have a gift certificate to Borders. They seem to actually have a selection of raw books, although I haven't heard of most of the authors. Are there any raw books/recipe books that I absolutely must have?

Any other books I should check out? I'm thinking of getting a beginners guide to yoga/pilates/qigung depending on what looks good. Any other recommendations?

I really look forward to hearing what you all have been reading and this is good.

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I meant "think is good". It's getting late...

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I have a few RAW books and whilst they are all great in different ways, I've found 'Raw Food Made Easy For 1 or 2 People' by Jennifer Cornbleet really helpful as a I'm quite new to raw and it's only me I'm 'cooking' for.

One thing I really like is that she says how long the prepared food keeps for, which is very handy.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I love Ani Pyo's book and also anything by Natalia Rose. I know NR is usually at Borders.. Carol Alt's book is good if you are just getting started but she is not vegan

• If you like the science of why raw food is better then you want Sunfood Nutrition and Guidebook by David Wolfe or Gabriel Cousens Rainbow Green Live Cuisine (Irecommend the second one if you can only get one). For recipes--Ani Phyo, like kminty pointed out is excellent. I also really love Renee Underkoffler's Living Cuisine (not great pictures, but every recipe is delicious. Raw Transformation is also excellent for great smoothie concoctions, burgers, dips, sauces, soups. I go back to this one a lot. It was my first raw book.

• I have to agree with previous posters, I loved Ani Pyo's book and Raw Food for 1 or 2 people as well. I also liked Alive in Five for quick and tasty recipes.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I personally like Raw Food Real World. All of the recipes I made from there turned out great. The only downside is they sometimes use exotic and or expensive ingredients, so better to keep their recipes for special ocations. I have been to their resturaunt quite a few times and its also fabulous! Other then that especially if new to raw I would look for books like raw in 10 and alive in 5 or similar titles. Also of those books make things easier and wont have you preparing meals that take two days.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Oh yes, Ani Pyo's book is great too.

I got given Raw by Juliano as a present and although it's beautiful to look through, I honestly cannot imagine making anything from there. (Other than maybe a couple of the simple dips) Almost every recipe needs a crazy amount of ingredients!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

I also agree with Raw food for 1 or 2 people, Ani Phyo's book, or maybe Brendan Brazier. Brendan's new book comes out on the 23rd and it's cooked and raw vegan recipes. His foods are all no soy, gluten and all yum!

• i love anything by natalia rose. her approach is my favorite even though she is not vegan.

s

• Well, I guess Ani gets many votes. I am new to raw and raw cooking and like her book for its beautiful recipes while not being complicated with hard to find ingredients. Most everything has already been in my pantry or fridge. I just made her Brazil Broccoli Mash. Oh is it good. And so easy with just a few ingredients. I'm gonna make portobella steaks to with the rest of it tonite

My first books were Cornbleet,s 'Raw Food Made Easy For 1 or 2 People' and Warming up to Living Foods (can't remember the author). Both have very easy, simple recipes for beginners and most of it has been really good.

• I have most rawbooks. The top 2 are Renee Underkoffler's Living Cuisine and Raw Food Real World as far as delicious recipes. Rhios book is excellent Hooked On Raw and Cafe Gratitudes book I am Grateful.I consider these must buys.Yes Anni Phytos book is good and even Brian Au Raw in ten. I did not like Carol Alts book. And Natalie Rose is not all raw. One more book worth buying is the Lifefood book by Jubb and this book has cleanses and Fasts in it with good recipes.

• i have most of the raw food books too another fun one is eating without heating i love ani's book and it's easy to use i have raw food real world but haven't attempted anything in there yet... in terms of a yoga book i highly recommend erich schiffmans book MOVING INTO STILLNESS erich is a friend and my teacher it's definitely an awesome book about life, and living yoga hope you find JUST what you're looking for and that you'll report back

ciao!

enjoy

rona

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

I have two or three yoga books that I bought but never read.

My most favorite is Natalia Rose's books. They are simple. And your jiggly body parts are sure to disappear.

• i second work by Gabriel Cousens and David Wolfe. It depends on what you're looking for, info or recipes?

Raw Christmas

• yeah i'm not looking for recipes at the moment, but for a book that gives a lot of info and general guidelines for the raw food diet in general.

Is David Wolfe

• My three most used are: Raw Food Real World, Alive in 5 and Raw Revolution:)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I too find natalia roses book helpful, however i just bought myself ani phyo's first book at borders this past friday (thank you coupons) for only 12.00 and it is well worth it! the recipes are easy to make and really yummy plus fun tips are sprinkled throughout the book. my mom just ordered me her desert book aswell off of amazon.

let us know what you end up getting! :)

• So far after reading about 30+ books on raw food my favorite so far is "The Live Food Factor": The Comprehensive Guide to the Ultimate Diet for Body, Mind, Spirit & Planet. by Susan Schenck.

Just to add, The Live Food Factor talks about the many different movements of the raw food diet, it really is the ultimate guide to the raw food movement. (that I have found anyway)

• I have this book also! Yesterday I made the raw apple pie, and it was very good.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

80/10/10

• Love the Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier and RAWvolution :Gourmet Living Cuisine by Matt Amsden

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

ive made that! isnt it the best! my mom loved it too :)

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

I have a lot of raw food books, none by Ani. Guess I should check her out. I'd say the most worth while might be Natalia Rose's books. I think her first one has a diet plan for those who are not completely raw. So it's not that difficult to do. It also explains principles about the benefits of being raw.....it'll get rid of your giggly body parts and cellulite aside from all the other benefits.

I took yoga for 2 years. My teacher ran off with a beau. I am beginner level. I think beginner level DVDs might be more beneficial than yoga books. I do have a couple of yoga books that I never use, except that I read Christy Turlington's every now and then. It might be the best for background information. And it's probably only $5 on-line since it has been a while since she put it out. For yoga, in person classes for a long period of time are best for you to get the principles down.

Oh yeah, "Daily OM" is a yoga related book that I try to use daily. I read one entry and reflect on it each day. I think Daily OM gets good reviews. It was probably $15 or $16 on line.