Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

80 10 10 Group trial anyone?

Hey all

I recently discovered the concept of 80 10 10 diet, and I thought I might give it a go. Is anyone else interested in doing a trial with me for maybe 30 days or so? I've seen some similar threads, but the experiments seem to have already been concluded.

Let me know if you're interested!!

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I need more info on it.... otherwise, i'm game for anything!

• Sweet. I am a n00b at it, so I am still learning. My understanding is that is departs from raw "gourmet", leaves behind fancy nut and dehydrated entrees. 80% of calories comes from carbohydrates, 10% from fat, and 10% from protein.

Here is a link to the thread that I started reading to familiarize myself with it, otherwise this will turn into a case of the blind leading the blind :p

http://goneraw.com/node/15906

I also read this blog of Steve Pavlina who also did a 30 day trial of 80 10 10 raw. It really left me with a craving for bananas, huh....

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/12/raw-foods/

My motivation to do this is that I just completed a 30 day cleanse (under supervision of my nutritionist with supplements and fruits and veg NOT raw) and I am already slipping back into bad eating habits, so this will be something fun and new and interesting to motivate me to hold onto my new found post-cleanse health.

Tell me what you think! =^.^=

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

HI

I have not done this diet but have spoken with others who have and had negative expereinces b/c they werent active enough so I just wanted to offer my two cents that it seems this is a great diet for those who work out a ton (some famed olympians have eaten this way) but if you dont use up all the excess sugars in the fruit you can end up acidic or with candida breakouts etc so make sure to do your research so as to have a pleasant experience.

Happy trails...

:)

• I'm in! I was going to start about January 4 when my family goes home. I am going to start with a 4 day green juice fast and then go at least 30 days on 80-10-10.

I've been waiting for the book to arrive for ever. The first one got lost in media mail hell and now I'm getting one direct from Amazon. Should be here any day now.

I've read lots of fors and some against the diet but you can't know anything until you try it yourself really.

I have candida and diabetes so it will be a good test of the diet.

I have been eating in a similar way, not having read the book yet, and I feel fine on it. I'm not getting near as much fruit as he says but I'm not that active.

• I got the book right now!

And that June 30 day challenge thread that El-bo had before looks great. I'll have to read the whole thing. Thanks for that. I knew he was really into it but it seems impossible to search by author on this forum.

When are you going to start, shrk-byte? I'll start on Jan 5 but I'll keep reading until then and eating more or less like the book, kinda practising.

• My school term starts on the 5th as well. I think that will be the perfect kick-off date!

• Ok, sharkbyte, we're on for Jan 5.

I downloaded that Cronometer program that el-bow recommended and found out that the seed smoothie I have in the mornings will have to go. It has about 60% fat. That means I have to eat a huge amount more of fruit to make up the calories. So I guess I will keep adding until I get to the right amount. It's a great program, I like it much better than the online ones.

I can't believe how much food I'm using. I'm still juicing most of the greens. I didn't get to the part in the book where he says what he has against juicing. If it's just that monkeys didn't have juicers, I don't care. We don't have hair suits either. The book is really great so far.

• Hey freepam

I am going to have to back out of this trial, it's not the best thing for me right now. I am sorry!

I hope it is an adventure for you!

• Bummer, sharkbyte. I'll miss you. But I'll just reread the old trial from June. I'm doing really well on my practising.

Good luck,

Pam

• I would like to try an 80/10/10 trial for January. I was planning on it anyway, actually. Originally I was just going to do a raw 30 day trial for January, but I really want to try 80/10/10 last time. I think the reason I fell off the wagon last time was that the majority of my daily caloric intake was fats. If anyone's still interested, I'll do it.

• anyone want to help me with downloadable communism and supply me with a .pdf of this book.

• Hi Lisa,

I'm still on for starting on Jan 5 when my kids go home. I have been doing the diet with some cheats for a few weeks now and I am feeling so good. I'll be happy to check in here once a week or if anything special happens.

It seems like a lot of people on this forum are against 811 so I wasn't going to bother.

I'm going to do a few days of green juice fasting first to get rid of the candida bugs and then do the straight version of 811 with no added fats, supplements, spices or vinegars.

For the last few years I have taken a zillion supplements and I really think Dr D is right, even if they improve the symptoms you are paying a price in final health. I'm weaning myself off them now.

Kevin, most of the FAQ about the diet are on Dr D's website foodnsport.com for free. The book is only necessary to be convinced to give it a try. By the way, have you contributed anything of equal value to the world yet to exchange for ripping him off? Just wondering.

• hahahahaha.

nothing i've done for this world should be measured against his book.

i don't want to rip him off, but I don't want to spend 30 dollars being a wage slave who can barely afford rent.

• I started today! Doing pretty well so far, absence of the usual stomach problems I get after eating cooked food. I had some tahini in my salad for dinner; it tasted really good, since I haven't had overt fats all day. I usually have tons of fats in everything, so this is a big change for me. I ordered the book, but it's going to take a long time to come from Amazon, even though I had two-day shipping. So, I have a question for anyone who's read the book: where can I get more protein? I just logged my foods on nutridiary, and I'm at just 6% for the day. How can I get up to 10% without adding a lot of fats?

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

lisa5678 - I started before Christmas and got the book a few days ago. He clarifies that you should get AT LEAST 80% carbs and a MAXIMUM of 10% protein and fat so he says you don't have to worry about getting up to 10%. Hope that helps!

Just wanted to share the weirdest detox symptom that has now passed - my knees and hip joints became inflamed a few days into it and I've never had knee problems before. I've been raw a year and a half and never had anything like this. It's passed now but anything I could find online said it could be toxins collecting in my joints. It's gone now and I feel great!

• amysue, thanks for your answer! That makes me feel much better. Those detox symptoms are weird! I know that when I had ME and fibro, I had lots of joint pain. I wonder if toxins had anything to do with that. I'm so glad you're feeling good now!

My ratio for yesterday was right on target, hooray! 83% carbs, 11% fats, 6% protein. I'm feeling really great. It's helped me a lot to read Steve Pavlina's trial. I've been feeling kind of sicky lately, but then today I'm feeling lots better and yesterday, when I was doing stationary bike, I felt almost euphoric. That was kind of funny. Last night, I also had a wave of anger come over me; is this all emotional detox? Mood swings from changing my diet? I dunno.

I don't know about emotional detox, who can ever tell? Yesterday I was CRANKY but I'm attributing it to PMS. Fine today.

Most of all I feel lighter and cleaner than ever before.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I've been doing 80-10-10 for months and I had anger issues when I switched over. Really mad wanting to hit somebody and throw stuff kind of anger. The other day I noticed that this never happens at all anymore! Never ever ever! No more fiery hot rage. I think my new goal to tackle is fear (nobody is perfect). Guilt is gone too. We shall see how it goes :)

Blessings and good luck! 80-10-10 really rocks!!!

Love ya'lls

• My family just went out the door so I'm starting on the trial tomorrow. I slipped a lot while they were here and now I feel groggy and my eyes are tired.

So I will start with a 3 day green juice fast and then strict 80-10-10 for a month. The juice fast should kill off any extra candida bugs.

I am loving the fruit and greens and I just add a couple of brazil nuts at the end of the day if my numbers permit it. I'm using the chronometer program.

I have heard some people have problems with dry skin or falling hair during a 30 day trial so I will make sure to bring my fats up to the full 10% for the whole month.

I will still have green juice with my salad at lunch even though Dr D doesn't like juices because I love them.

When I'm fully into it the diet feels normal to me and I forget how whacked out it sounds to others. My kids came with all kinds of questions and objections and I just loaned them the book and said we'd discuss it when they'd read it. So now they have, they are accepting of my doing it and willing to add more fruits and greens to their own diets.

• amysue, glad the crankiness is over. I've been getting cranky lately, but only because I've let myself get super hungry. I'm getting better at that, though.

zinfandel, that's really good to hear! I hope that my disposition gets more even-keeled.

freepam, hooray! How are you doing so far? I'm glad your kids are accepting now. I'm still waiting on my copy of the book! Sometimes I feel so impatient about it. I'm going to try to have a full 10% fats as well; I believe that fats are important.

Yesterday was a hard day for me. The first two days were actually pretty easy. Yesterday, though, my father-in-law was making pizza meatball pie and I reeeeeally wanted some. I felt so sad eating my pear, wishing it was that pizza pie. But today I'm doing a lot better. I went to Farmer Boy's with my dad, and I had a salad (just lettuce, tomato and some carrot shavings) and brought my own dressing (blended blackberries and lemon juice). When we went in there, I thought it smelt yucky, like gasoline or something, but my dad said, "It smells so good in here!" So maybe my body is adapting now.

I just made a super yummy green smoothie from two bananas, a small red delicious apple, and 2 leaves of kale. I should definitely make more of these.

I've been keeping track of my intake on nutridiary, and I have to eat a lot of stuff to get enough calories. It's okay, though, because I've been getting better at that as the days go on. And, happily, I've been right around the target of 80/10/10!

• Hi Lisa, would that be the Farmer Boy in Santa Barbara? We used to go in there for breakfast quite a lot. I don't think I could handle it now. On my own at home I am just totally fine with the diet - but around other people I do feel left out even if they are eating something I don't want.

That groggy feeling from the cheating I did with my grandkids is almost gone now and I'm planning so many projects to do.

• Actually, there's a whole chain of Farmer Boy's restaurants in Southern California; maybe it's connected to the Santa Barbara one. How great your grogginess is gone! :)

• Something SO AMAZING just happened! The day before yesterday, I cut my finger badly (while chopping vegetables, of course); so badly, I bled through my first band-aid. Anyway, I was just taking off my most recent band-aid today to change it, and I expected the wound to still be raw and painful, because a cut like that usually takes weeks to heal. So, I took off my band-aid, and I was shocked to see new skin covering my wound! It's not raw, either! I can do anything with that finger and it doesn't feel painful. Two days, and it's healed! Hooray!

Other than that, things have been going alright with me. Sometimes I crave cooked foods, but I'm doing pretty good at resisting them; I keep telling myself that I'm committed for 30 days, and then after that I can eat whatever! Although, I'm not sure that will be the case. I'm feeling pretty tired and lethargic; this is probably down to detox and adjustment to my new diet. We'll see if that gets any better. I found out today that I love papaya! Aaaand...well, nothing much else to report. I haven't been sleeping as well as I usually do, but that could improve; we'll see. Yesterday my fat percentage was 16%, so I have to really try to cut down. I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

How are things going with you guys?

Hey everyone!

Lisa - you're doing great! I have a tip you can try, read it on a blog and I think I agree. A lot of the time the smell of the cooked food is better than the actual taste. I've found this in the past, it smells so good you have to taste it but then it's a huge disappointment. Try enjoying the smell, think of it like smelling flowers or something, or perfume.

I'm holding steady on a green smoothie for breakfast, green smoothie for lunch, some kind of afternoon snack and a big green salad for dinner with my day's allotment of fat (1/2 an avocado or 2 tablespoons nuts or seeds). Then a fruit dessert later.

I think I've still got a lot of cleansing going on, lots of bloat, but energy is great, mind is getting past the fogginess. I'm rebounding once a day, easing back into exercising, plan to do more soon!

• Whoopee! I'm up to 2000 calories but that takes 5 meals a day, breakfast and snack are both fruit. Lunch starts with fruit, then greens, afternoon snack is fruit, and evening meal is fruit then greens.

Dr D says to eat fruit before anything else because it digests faster.

It sounds to me that some people are not getting enough calories from fruit. I had a hard time eating that much at first but I kept adding and now it all mounts up. The greens are great for vitamins but lousy for calories.

Lisa, that might be why you are tired. How many calories are you eating? I'm using the cronometer to keep count.

I'm going to start on my exercise program today, hindu squats, hindu pushups and bridges. Yikes, haven't done bridges in years.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Kay dudes, I'm in! I've pretty much been doing this all along but am very curious as to how all of you eat!

• Interesting, just smelling the food...I'll really think about that.

I'm enjoying green smoothies, too, but I suspect I'm not getting as many greens as I should. I've been trying to exercise, too, but it seems like I'm tired a lot more of the time lately.

Good news! My copy of 80/10/10 is supposed to be coming in the mail today! Hooray!

Yesterday was a really hard day for me. I wanted cooked food so much I could have cried. Today I've been doing fine, though, no cravings to speak of. I'm happy to be past the one-week mark!

Good job, amysue!

• I am full after only 900 calories today. I didn't do my banana smoothie though, which attributes another 700 or 800 calories. Sort of pissed off at my body, but I guess i'll just wait it out til tomorrow and hopefully the stomach stops being a jerk.

• today's my first day. i made a little boo-boo. but, will chock it up to learning. stlil -- already - - i feel great. almost joyful.

what about ya'll?

• freepam, I'm only getting about 1300-1600 calories per day. Is that too little? I'm feeling kind of blue about the whole thing right now; I was really considering getting a chipotle burrito, but I'll try my best not to. I have a hard time imagining consuming more than what I'm eating right now, because I eat until I'm full all the time...I don't want to stuff myself.

I'm wondering whether a slower transition would make things easier for me...I just don't know...I'm feeling really unhappy...

I miss the complex flavors of the cooked foods I would prepare, and I miss taking part in the culture and history of the foods I would eat. I feel like I'm rejecting so many amazing traditions that I used to love to take part in. Well, I am rejecting them.

I wonder whether I would like eating raw most of the time, but having a cooked meal once or twice a week or something...then I could have the simplicity and ease of a raw diet, plus lots of health benefits, but still take part in the things about cooked food I love.

I'm sort of at a weird point right now. I'm not sure whether I should honor my commitment and not eat cooked food, or honor my soul and eat some.