Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dental erosions in subjects living on a raw food diet - study

synapsynap Raw Newbie

I found a study which was alarming/puzzling (see the abstract below or look at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9831783?dopt=Abstract )

I would be interested in your thoughts on this study and it's results.

If anyone has the full study report, I would like to see it. Thanks.

===========================================================

Caries Res. 1999;33(1):74-80.

Dental erosions in subjects living on a raw food diet.

Ganss C, Schlechtriemen M, Klimek J.

Department of Operative and Preventive Dentistry, Dental Clinic, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany. Carolina.Ganss@dentist.med.uni-giessen.de

The aim of the study was to investigate the frequency and severity of dental erosions and its association with nutritional and oral hygiene factors in subjects living on a raw food diet. As part of a larger dietary study 130 subjects whose ingestion of raw food was more than 95% of the total food intake were examined. The median duration of the diet was 39 (minimum 17, maximum 418) months. Before the clinical examination, the participants answered questionnaires and recorded their food intake during a 7-day period. Dental erosions were registered using study models. As a control 76 sex- and age-matched patients from our clinic were randomly selected. The raw food diet records showed the median daily frequency of ingesting citrus fruit to be 4.8 (minimum 0.5, maximum 16.1). The median intake of fruit was 62% (minimum 25%, maximum 96%) of the total, corresponding to an average consumption of 9.5 kg of fruit (minimum 1.5, maximum 23.7) per week. Compared to the control group subjects living on a raw food diet had significantly (p

Comments

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

abstract continued:

significantly more dental erosions. Only 2.3% of the raw food group (13.2% of the controls) had no erosive defects, whereas 37.2% had at least one tooth with a moderate erosion (55.2% of the controls) and 60.5% had at least one tooth with a severe erosion (31.6% of the controls). Within the raw food group no significant correlation was found between nutrition or oral health data and the prevalence of erosions. Nevertheless, the results showed that a raw food diet bears an increased risk of dental erosion compared to conventional nutrition.

• Well, I have just finished a night shift and unless I have read it wrong, it states that MORE of the control group had at least one tooth with moderate erosion (37%) and there were still people in the control group who had severe erosion (31.7%) albeit more than the test group.

I know that cleaning your teeth too soon after orange juice can erode enamel, perhaps that is what is happening....and I didn't read into what each group was eating, perhaps not enough calcium and magnesium from greens? And who sponsored the research (the dairy industry???) Thanks for the post tho, forearmed is forewarned (or is that the other way around?)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I would have found this study more compelling if it had examined the raw food participants before they started eating raw and then examined them again after they were raw for the prescribed period, Many people change to raw food due to previously poor eating habits, Half of them may have been junk food junkies before going raw and that may count for the increase. I don't really see how this study isolates raw food as the cause. It isn't clear whether or not any of the erosions existed before their raw food diets began.

At best it seems to note the correlation to be fruit intake, which probably does make a difference; however, I don't think that is the same culprit as a raw food diet. That is like taking a group that eats 2 servings of ice cream weekly and attributing increased erosions to ingesting dairy, which is alleged to build strong teeth and bones.

I know there are the "cure" rumors of raw food regenerating cavities. I don't think you can put much stock in those either.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I agree with Meditating. Often studies are published with someone's opinion of what the results indicate, when the study may not have been done in a way to make sure the conclusion is accurate. Often studies are planned in a way to more likely produce the results that are desired by whomever is sponsoring the study (dairy industry, FDA, etc.) An extreme example that people probably fell for, was a statistic offered by the seller of a water filter for the shower. She was trying to tell people that chlorine absorbed through the skin causes cancer, by showing us that chlorine absorbs into the skin from the water, explaining that hot water opens pores to allow greater absorption, and then giving us a statistic that 85% of women with breast cancer said they like to take long, hot showers. Compelling evidence? No way. I would guess that 85% of women WITHOUT breast cancer also like to take long, hot showers. It's important to look at who is funding or publishing the study, and think of other factors that may affect the results, that weren't considered as part of the study. I have always had dental problems, long before eating raw. So if I were part of a dental study after switching to raw, and got matched up against someone who never had teeth problems, they could say raw foodies have more teeth problems, even though in actuality I have had far LESS teeth problems since changing my diet than I had previously.

In Rhio's book "Hooked on Raw", she addresses teeth problems in the section where she talks about differrent kinds of diets. It's under the section about fruitarianism.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Hi

I have with my own self noticed it deteriating my teeth when I was not eating enough leafy greens (and not in smoothies folks) you need to chew and naw on kale and other greens to build calcium and clean your teeth so if you are drinking all your greens (as I was at first) then IMO I would suggest making sure one big salad or two where you chew thouroughly and I also am one that thinks fruit is wonderful but you cant go raw and eat tons of fruit and expect to be healthy life is all about balance and unless you are an athlete you do not need tons of sugars.

THats my two cents worth

And I do agree that most studies are swayed by those who want it to go a certain direction for their own motive.

Peace Light and lots of greens

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I grind my teeth but have for many years, prior to raw. Otherwise, my teeth are fine. I will keep track if any problems arise that are seemingly due to raw versus raw&cooked (no junk on prior diet, all vegan and many greens), and I still floss daily and brush about 5 times/day (after eating/meals/before bed).

ETA: I have never had a cavity in my life.

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

Meditating, that is a very good point. Thanks!

Additionally, I know a raw foodist who got his entire set of teeth capped. Before he did that I observed that he would begin his evening meal with a citris chunky soup, with orange juice, lemon juice, and other acidic fruits, He would follow that up with hard vegtables, sometimes a chunky vegtable soup, and dehydrated crunchy(and sticky) flax crackers, dehydrated almonds, etc. This person was well respected as a kind of guru of raw food living.

When I found out about him capping every tooth in his mouth. I asked him why he did that. He explained that it was due to wear of his teeth. But I thought that was an odd reason, if raw food was to provide optimum health, including of the teeth. I had puzzled about this for much time. And now, with all the research I have been doing, a reason is becoming into focus.

It seems to me that what he was doing is softening the tooth enamal by bathing his mouth for 15 minutes or more in an acidic fruit juice, then followed it with a abrasive and dehydrated and sticky crackers. He would do this daily, repeatedly for months and years.

He explained starting his meal with the fruit soup because he thought that it would digest faster than the veggies, grains, seeds, and nuts.

I think his style of eating "raw vegan food" contributed to the erosion of his teeth. I think our community needs to look into this as a concern for the dental well being of people seeking a life style of optimum health and regeneration through eating raw vegan food.

I welcome further comment. Thanks.

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

Thanks!

I read about Victoria Botenko experimenting with a kind of chewing toy she found(or created). She said she did it to cause the release of more saliva into her mouth and to cause the development of jaw bone calcium density.

Do any of you have further info (or reports of studies) on the development of calcium density from chewing.

I am a somewhat cautious about the statement of the development of calcium density exclusively for chewing. I thin this it may contribute to the development of the ligament and gum tissue though.

Others report that micro tentions in bones due to stress from weight lifting. However, our skulls have a high density of calcium and yet the scalp appears to have virtually none of the bone tensions that would regularily spawn the laying down of more calcium fibers.

I welcome further comment. Thanks.

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

Agree with meditating

I haven't had dental problems other than overcrowding from too many (having all my) teeth

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

Thanks for your comment internettourist.

• I've never had a cavity in my life and I too am pretty good about my oral hygiene (brushing about 5 times daily and flossing every night) with frequent dental checkups. But it seems to me that I've noticed some of my molars have become more sensitive when eating, and i've noticed that my teeth appear to be thinner up by the gums. Not sure why this is happening, but it's causing sensitivity. And I would hate to think that my love for raw is causing this.....

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have heard this too. That is why I think those raw foodies who chose not to brush their teeth are ridiculous!

I eat a fair amount of citrus but also supplement with calcium. I also floss and brush twice a day. Anyone who doesn't better be prepared for the dental chair. And I HATE drills.

• I have started this oil pulling, which has stopped my teeth being so sensitive, cant remember where the link is but I think it was started by Trouble's just a bubble. My teeth def looked whiter and less sensitive, although I havent had time to really concentrate on it. worth a try tho!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I started oil pulling after my last dental cleaning. I read in a medical study (not someone reciting something they read or heard somewhere) that oil pulling in the mornings would keep plaque in check.

As silly as oil pulling sounds (I initially thought it was one of the more ridiculous remedies I ever heard of), I can tell that it has really cut down the plaque in my mouth such that my teeth feel much better and I am sure my periodontist will be able to tell a difference at my next checkup.

• I have to second that about oil pulling. When I first read about it, it just sounded ridiculous. However, I recently had my first root canal and not long after had a 25 year old molar excavated followed by a temporary crown. Although there was no decay in that tooth, it was extremely sensitive. I was desperate not to have another root canal (my dental bill for the year is already around 5k), so figured I'd give oil pulling a chance. Well, I've been doing it for about 6 days and have noticed a marked improvement. I still can't quite believe it, but will keep on doing it. So for you skeptics out there, it's definitely worth a try!

• Does EVOO work for Oil Pulling?

• Sometimes my teeth hurt or feel like they're moving if I don't eat enough minerals.

• What is oil pulling and how do you do it??

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

There are several threads on Gone Raw dedicated to the subject of oil pulling. In addition, a lot of information is scattered about on unrelated threads. You might want to try an Advanced Search and browse the results. This thread has a lot of information, including some web links.

I have not personally embarked on oil pulling because I have a number of mercury fillings (the silver looking ones). Some have commented that they fall out when oil pulling. Since oil pulling detoxes the body of metals, this makes sense to me. If anyone has mercury fillings AND has had good luck with oil pulling, please share your experiences.