Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hello,people!!A question that bothers me to death-How many pounds did you lose since going RAW?:)

Hello!

I know,there were the same questions,but still...;)

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

As many as I needed to, in order to be healthiest. ;) The weight I am now is not the same as then, either. I am focused on health & I refuse to focus on weight, as I feel it is secondary to health, or that a healthy weight is a result of a healthy life & body.

• Honestly, It has been 3 months for me, the first month I was about 95% and lost nothing, than the second and 3rd month about 90% and still nothing. I am not fat by any means and I did not start this to lose weight but it would be really nice to shed about 10 lbs. My appetite has totally decreased, and it seems when I do eat that one cooked meal a week that I can eat so much so I do not understand. I am completely confused. I work out everyday, I am a runner and yoga girl, and lift weights and have for a very long time. But everytime I step on the scale or put my clothes on I get a little frustrated. I have even started drinking smoothies for breakfast and for lunch and still nothing. I am 5'3" and 130lbs. Which alot is muscle but I would like to see some results, any suggestions, Please help!!!!!

Sorry UnDeuxTrois I seriously had to vent. I just feel I am working so hard with no result.

• well....thanx....I know that health is important.But I'm asking about the weight loss.

rawgirl78 - Do you feel unhealthy? It seems that you are very athletic/muscular, so you may be at your ideal weight.

• Thats ok,rawgirl78!!!;))Since I cheated and lost my control over what I eat I'm too,losing very little.

But tell me then,what do you eat,how and when.And tell me what did you mainly eat before going raw?Maybe I would be able to help you...

• I dont feel unhealthy, but I suppose that in my past I was 110 lbs but at that time I was extremely unhealthy, never eating exercising way to much and smoked all the time. But now I quit smoking back in April, recently went raw and eat/drink smooties regularly. So now that I say this outloud I realize that maybe its all in my head, but at the same time I cant help but think seriously its only 10 lbs. What the hell, lol?

• I need to lose much more....I ve quitted myself,too.Today was the first day I didn't smoke...If you feel quite all right now then,maybe you should wait a bit?and then you'll lose

Oh, okay. I lost 40 pounds in the first three months, and then didn't lose or gain any weight for a whole year. Any weight gained or lost since then has been due to illness. I wasn't vegan, & I just ate what I felt my body needed to be healthy. I had also had problems being too thin before, so the stability I found by eating this way was wonderful!

• Well I wake up go to the gym come home and have a smoothie (bananas, water, ice, blueberries spinich)

then I go to work and eat an apple

for lunch I have another smoothie except I add chia seeds and goji berries and a teaspoon of raw cacao to it.

then I have another piece of fruit for a snack (banana, orange, etc...)

Then I go do yoga or lift weights and come home and usually eat someting really small say, almond butter on celery or hummus with veggies.

When I was eating cooked food I ate twice as much as this at least and wsa the same weight I am now so I don't know maybe I am at my ideal weight I just have to learn to deal with that, lol

Any ideas?

• angie,thank you,you really have just inspired me,I'm glad for you!!!

rawgirl78,you said you were eating too little before-you smoked,etc...Maybe your weight loss stalled and you platued?If so,then you need either up your calorie intake-maybe eat more seeds or you can fast or eat more green vegs!!Se for yourself,experiment and figure out what helps you most...

• Question on the fasting note, I seriously have contimplated doing this. What is the best fast? I think my boyfriend is getting me a juicer for Christmas so this was my plan, I was gonna juice fast, clean myself out, and then I will be on the right track for eating better.

But what is an appropiate fasting time?

And will the weight come back when I start eating raw again?

What do you think? any suggestions?

Angie- wow that is amazing congrats!!!

• I think you should try first juice fast.Then if the things are ok,you may transfer gradually to water fasting or even dry fasting(but be careful with that) and I advise you to read about fasting because there are instructions and support!

If you concentrate on your health,think about the work which you've done to your body,the weight may be stabilized after the fast...Who knows!!Only you be careful:)

• I will thank you.

Now how about you. How long have you been raw?

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Been raw for about 3 months now, 1 in transition 2 with 100%, lost around 2kg and wasn't too happy about it since I'm already rather thin 170cm 52kg, but now it seems I'm starting to gain it back in more muscle(I do Yoga&Thai Boxing), but like Angie I stopped worrying about it to be honest, I feel good&healthy and that's what matter, only issue I have with my weight is that my strength&technique in Thai Boxing is far from matching my weight so its really hard to find opponents for tournaments and such, but you know, if those are my troubles I'm a lucky person :).

• Rawgirl78: Are you eating before the gym? It's not good to exercise on an empty stomach, especially straight after waking up since that's the longest you go without food all day! Have your smoothies before you exercise. I think it should have an effect on your weight loss too. I'm not sure how factual this is but there's a theory that if you don't eat for many hours on end (like when you sleep) your body goes into 'survival mode' and will hang on to any calories you put into your body for dear life! Which is why what you eat for breakfast is so important. So if you're not eating until after the gym, your body is going to think it's starving and pack on every calorie in that smoothie.

Like I said I've not done the research but I've read several articles that state that this is true and it sounds pretty plausible. Either way, you need the energy to get the most from your workout!!

• Hey rawgirl: I feel your pain... I've been 100% raw for 4 months and have lost only 10lbs. That said- it is better to lose slowly then to drop a lot of weight (unless you have to lose SEVERAL pounds). I know how frustrating it can be. For me, I think one of the reasons I haven't lost more is that I was too restrictive with the amount of food I would eat and how often I would eat it. Sometimes I forget to eat during the day. This puts my body into 'starvation' mode so it holds onto everything I put in my mouth. Now that I have been eating more and more often-I just lost 5 lbs in 1 month after losing 5 lbs during the first 3 months. From what you wrote about your food intake, my guess is that you might want to add calories, healthy fats (avocado, seeds, etc) and eat often (every 2 hours or so) to keep your metabolism going. Also, I've read that you should rotate your green smoothies, using spinach one day, kale the next, etc... as well as the fruit you put into them. Food combining didn't aid weight loss for me, but it might for you. There is a lot of info online-you can google it.

Anyway- I hope this is helpful. I know how annoying it is to hear all these stories about people dropping 20 lbs a month, etc. but hang in there :)

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

If person starts out at a healthy weight, they probably aren't going to lose weight.

I was an unhealthy person at a healthy weight. In two and a 1/2 years, I have lost zero pounds, But I have lost a dress and pant size. I can do a lot more now. And I am not searching for anti-aging creams. The raw diet is the finest anti-ager around.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hey rawgirl78, don't be too hard on yourself... you did a lot this year, one good thing after the other starting with quitting smoking, good for you! I am 5.2" and was close to 130 pounds when I started off raw about 6 months ago. My husband and I were vegetarian/vegan before for many years, but I have never felt better than on raw food. We still have some hot soup here and there and we can digest cooked legumes better than sprouted ones, so if we have some I do some cooked dishes, but otherwise we are raw as best as we can.

So we started off in June and since then I lost about 16 pounds and weigh now 113 pounds, 52kg, which I love! I know it is not about weight, but I understand your frustration and the wish to go back to that 'feel good weight'. Give yourself more time... I hardly exercise as much as you do, and right now we have lows that go into the -44 C with windchill, brrr, so not much going anywhere and not outside beside feeding the horses, no riding... :(

What you do in exercise is really good, please keep up the good work and dont get discouraged! I don't think you eat too much, sounds great to me what you take in, so you might just have taken on more muscle... don't know. Lots of greens is always a good way to get full and not take on those pounds, but then you also need your oils and fats, like avocados... maybe too many bananas? But don't starve yourself, everyone is different. I am an easy keeper and don't need much to live on and have to be careful about the amounts I eat, and I recognized that I am actually lesser hungry on raw food, my need for food is quite low, so that makes it easier to keep my weight too.

If you want send me a photo of yourself from how you look right now and I can see what comes to my mind... my email address is freehorse64atyahoodotcom

But most of all, keep going on your way, it is great and I am sure you will see improvement over time :))

• Iamtheparty- Thank you for the advice, I actually heard something like that before, that I should eat a little something before I go.

smsaler- Right!!! Still though four months and 10 pounds kudos to you!!!! That is still an amazing accomlishment. And your right it is better to take it off slowely. Its not that I feel bad about my weight, I just want to feel a little better in my clothes, does that make sense?!?! It truly is frustrating when people lose 20 lbs in the first month, and perhaps they needed to lose that so it is totally great, and congrats to all that do!! But on the other hand, I work my ass off at the gym and eat so super healthy and I can not lose a lb. Than my boyfriend who is the SAD eater says well maybe this raw thing is not working out to well for you after all is it? Which makes me more upset!!! Don't get me wrong he is a wonderful man and I love him to death but he is killing me with maybe you should try this and maybe you should try that, ugh!!!

I do feel the healthiest that I ever have in my entire life and that def. should account for something so I am going to take all of your kind words, and advice and I am going to put it to good use. Thank You

• beate64- Thank you, I do appreciate your words, I am going to continue to eat this way and feel good about it:-) Also on my page on here there is a link and there is a pic of me, my name is Patrici. Also -44. Oh my that is cold where in the world do you live? I am complaining that it is 50 degrees F. Now I feel bad, lol!!!

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Hi

I lost about 30lbs between going vegan and then raw I was already vegetarian but I think I had a dairy allergy and thats why when I stopped eating that the weight fell off. I did feel many health benefits from going raw like increased energy great skin and hair and an overall calmness and serenity with eating so simply and in harmony with nature.

Good luck to all of you on your journey what helped me the most was focusing on health and enjoying food rather than weight loss.

Namaste

• 40 lbs in 2 and a half months.

Current:

5'7 / 150

I believe I am at a healthy weight, my body doesn't seem like it wants to drop anymore, and i'm still just figuring out how I tick. Added more fats into my diet last week and I realized how much easier it is for me to digest now. It's just little things like this, learning, listening to your body that really get you to where you want to go.

Good luck RAWGIRL with your routine and whatever else you're trying to achieve.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I lost about 15 lbs in 7 months. About 10 in the first 2 months. This is a lot, since I now weigh 100 lbs! I like weighing less for sure. Here are the reasons WHY I weigh so little:

I'm allergic to bananas

I don't like to eat fat, it makes me sluggish

I have a high metabolism

I heard that calorie dense foods stop the whole detox process (bananas, starchy foods, dates), so I try and limit them because I am trying to continue detoxing. So seriously, if you avoid bananas and fats and continue to exercise I can't see ANY reason why you wouldn't lose weight.

• Zinfandel- wow no bananas! I can't imagine. Would you mind giving me a little insite on your diet? I am really curious to know how you eat.

I normally would choose to follow 811. I especially am fond of salads and blended greens. I like to make energy soup minus the avocado and beans. Which is really weird I know. With prunes added to the energy soup it tastes like baby food... which is weird I know.

Right now I am suffering from ibs, so my diet is a bit different than I'd want because I'm trying to heal from that-- I'm only eating fruits and any vegetables my be in the form of juice. This is temporary until I get that under control...

My ideal diet has lots of greens because it cuts the sugar from the fruit. When my blood sugar spikes (for example if I have a ton of really sweet fruit for breakfast) then I want to binge on fruits all day. If I blend my breakfast fruit with veggies, my blood sugar stays pretty level and I don't eat as much throughout the day.

Ideally I would eat citrus (or apples) blended with greens for breakfast

and possibly have a salad for lunch

Have a smoothie/fruit salad early afternoon

Have a salad + a fruit salad for dinner

The would change depending on my mealtimes. I normally would think it's good to get the smoothie in between 12-1. I normally allow myself to add dates/prunes/figs/fruit to any meal. Soaking them for a couple hours makes them easier to digest (which is a big factor for me). I like to satisfy my cravings. Also, my stomach is very sensitive to salt apparently, so I can't have that either :( So I use lots of celery. Pure celery juice is actually very salty if you didn't know that.

It's probably good to purposefully eat some fat every week or a couple times a week so you don't binge on it or something. I think the fat would probably best be included in energy soup. But fats is really what makes MY weight go up.

Right now my diet is very boring (attempting at monomeals), but I would say it is an exception and that vegetables are useful for keeping the energy levels stable.

So good luck and I wish you the best of health (and me too).

• Zin. that does not sound like a boring diet at all actually.

I have serious ibs problems as well and I am trying to figure out how to remedy that. Since going raw it has gotten ALOT better but the flairups can be excuciating. UGH!!!

I like your idea of citrus or apples in your smoothie, I am going to try that one:-) Thank you. How do you make this energy soup? I would really like to try it!!!

Search energy soup recipe in google. It is pretty awsome, but the beans in a it make me bloated so I cut that and also the avocado makes me chubby and slowed down. Apparently beans have lots of things in them that are hard for humans to digest because we don't have the enzymes. Citrus is not great for some people's ibs... If you post your email addy I can send you an ebook I got on irritable bowel disorders... It seems to be helping me... (cutting out things that cause inflammation and then letting the intestines build up strength).

• Zin- That would be extremely helpful:-)

Patricidelight@yahoo.com

Thank you!!!

• Are there people who use ICQ?...I would like to talk in "real time".If so,tell me!:)

• Right before I first went raw, I was at my heaviest - the highest number I saw on the scale was 143, but maybe it got even a pound or two more and I didn't see it. I did a 3 week detox (Nish Joshi's detox) and then went raw, staying (more or less?) 100% for about 3-4 months. I drank a lot of juices during that time and cut out my beloved cheese. My weight quickly dropped down to 117/118 - so that's about 25 pounds in about 3 months.

Over the past year, I have stayed high raw, but I've added back my cheese and occasional cooked meals, including heavy things like pasta and risotto (but that might be a once every week or two week thing - certainly not part of my daily diet).

I've gained weight no longer being all raw - Now I'm at 126, and that is including a recent loss of a few pounds, I had hit 130 again.

I do believe my weight is more naturally at 125ish than the 117 ish - I'm 5'6 with a lot of curves and muscles, I'm from hearty European stock meant to work the fields, not the runways.

Like others have said, if you eat mostly raw and exercise, the weight will come off. However, we're not all meant to be walking clothes hangers and your body might be holding on to some weight for a myriad of reasons, including thyroid, metabolism, and toxic issues.