Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does anyone sprout rice to make rice flour?

CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I don't like 'just' buckwheat bread. I would like to make rice/buckwheat/raisin bread to imitate an essene bread i had.

Would sprouted rice be ok? Is it digestible? I digest buckwheat, but not sprouted oats or barley.

What would be the best method?

I was thinking :

sprouting the rice and buckwheat.

Dehydrating rice sprouts

when dry, coffee grinder

make a batter out of the two with raisins

dehydrate bread

anyone have any comments or advice for this project?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Regular brown rice, white rice, wild rice, etc. are all heated during processing. "Sweet brown rice" is the only rice that is raw & will sprout. It is still pretty hard/crunchy after sprouting, but it may work if you dehydrate & grind it. Good luck!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

To prevent ingesting the high pesticide load, sure hope the rice is Organic... smile

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Angie: I have a bag of brown rice that I purchased on sale a couple of months ago that I've been sprouting. It's just regular brown rice - and it sprouted! I was really excited about it, after reading all of the comments on here that there was only one kind of rice that would sprout. I was going to take pictures of it but I ate it. ;-) I have some more sprouting right now that I am GOING to take pics of as soon as it's done.

Yes... definitely!! :-)

Here is the brand I like to buy (or did, until now we live close to a Whole Foods where I can get it in bulk): http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_og_br_long.aspx

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I did it, too. My first batch was smelly, but the second I rinced it more...

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey KhassLadki, Is that sprouted??? I don't see any tails. Have you tried letting it go a little longer to see if any grow?

• How exciting! I have been wondering if it would work. Do you use the long grain that your site address carried me to? Does yours stay crunchy or does it soften up enough to be used in a dish with other veggies?

chriscarlton: Yeah, it's sprouted - you have to look really hard to find the tails - they're teeny tiny! I'm going to put a different pic up where I've circled some of them. Last time I sprouted it a bit longer - this time I didn't let it get very long!

maykatcooper: the brand I just used was the last of some regular Mahatma rice, but I usually use the Lundberg that I put the link for. It stays a little crunchy, but not too bad (that's why I want to try the sweet brown rice and see if it's softer). Last time I tried to make it into crackers but they didn't work too well... gotta play with that a little more.

• I see the tails, cool :).

Here's a picture of the finished result - I don't let mine sprout very long (at least, not this time), so you have to look at the ends of the rice to find the little sprouts. They're so cute! I did find some Sweet Brown Rice at Whole Foods yesterday, so when I run out of the rice I've got now, I do want to try that!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/GhodaLadki/Food/101_3839.jpg

This one has some of the tails circled so you can see them: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/GhodaLadki/Food/101_3839copy.jpg

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I've sprouted rice before, and I got lazy with it, and I had grass growing in a jar. LOL

What about trying quinoa for bread? I tried using rice for a cracker, and it didn't stick together. I bet if you added some soaked flax it would hold together.

I really, REALLY like quinoa sprouted, and if you add some mashed banana to it, it is so, so good!