Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Spiralizer???

Does anyone like their spiralizer? I like the idea of making noodles and all the recipe books I have mention the spiralizer. But, I keep reading negative reviews about it. Is there a trick to it? Do you have one that you absolutely love?

Comments

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

I got mine here:

http://www.rawguru.com/store/_search.php?page=1&q=spiralizer

I love spiralizing carrots and then using them in sushi. Also, spiralized cucumbers with some tamari (or nama shoyu) and some sesame oil and sesame seeds is delish. It's fun to have. Good luck!

• SPIROOLI! SPIROOLI! SPIROOLI! lOVE IT SOOO MUCH MORE THAN THE SALADACO! I use it everyday. Seriously.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

We've found these much easier, faster and get better results with much less waste. Also less than $5.

http://transplantedtastebuds.blogspot.com/2008/04/julienne-peeler.html

The pro's have been using these for years. you can get them in any good kitchen shop. Normally they will have a few to choose from.

Our results...

http://www.purelyraw.com/pasta6h84.jpg

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

After deliberating for months over what type of spiralizer to buy, I've just gone and ordered a julienne peeler off eBay for a couple of quid - bargin! Hopefully this will do the trick.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I agree with the suggestion Chris has about the julienne peeler, after buying a $30 spiralizer and using it not often - just get the julienne!!

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

Okay so there are 2 types that I have:

Joyce Chen Saladacco - this makes angel hair pasta , very thin strings that go well with a lighter sauce.

Spirooli - this makes thicker spaghetti size noodles, perfect with a heavier tomato based sauce. I got a great price at Hallelujah Acres.

P.S. Just wanted to add a tip or two for you.

1) With either device, you usually end up with a tip at the end that doesn't get shredded. I just throw it in my sauce in the blender. It only improves the flavor.

2) Also, when you spiralize zucchini, it gets really watery and makes the sauce watery, so I suggest pressing paper toweling into it to absorb the extra moisture before you sauce it up.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

you can also marinate it with salt for about 20 minutes, then rinse with a good squeeze and add the zucchini to your dish. this will remove almost all of the liquid.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

I adore mine, it was 20euros from a cooking store, just a run of the mill one, nowt special, but two carrots or zuccini will offer you a huge pile of lengths long enough to twirl on your fork like spaghetti. the julienne peeler looks good and handy but the longest lengths you would get out of it are the length of the carrot or whatever veg you are shredding. theres loads of julienne peelers on ebay too. but i just loooooooooooove my spiralizer. i think always use firm fat fresh veg, if its slightly soft, of bendy its not much good, go for thick straight firm veg, make sure you have a good flat surface to get a good grip with the suction feet, you may get a little juice leakage, and make sure you have plenty of room at the end for the spirals to spill out. good luck

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

just ordered my spiral slicer, i ended up getting the saladacco version since i found a good deal. paid about 15 bucks. i'll let you know how it goes!

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Have you got your spiralizer yet? lol - I'm looking at buying the same one you bought and I'm wondering how it will work. I was debating on getting either the Saladacco or just a julienne peeler. Let me know how you like your Saladacco, please!!

Oh, one more thing... for the people who use the julienne peeler: does it make matchsticks or will it actually make bendy long pieces of 'noodles'? I mean, matchsticks would be great, too, for making sushi and wraps, but I really like my carrot 'pasta' to be soft instead of hard matchsticks.

• I've been doing julienne vaggies by hand but I really want something more fine, which is why I'm interested in getting one of these. Does anyone know if you can find them in regular stores? (Walmart, Zellers, etc)

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

I prefer the spirolli because the noodles are thicker and hold up longer--perfect for prep in the morning and bringing them to work for lunch. I have a saladacco, but I never use it because I don't like really thin angel hair pasta, it gets soggy too quickly.

The Juillene peeler, as Chris said, is great too. Great for traveling and for shredding carrots into a salad as well.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I use the sprilizer for butternut squash , sweet potatoes and carrots, Then I have the spirooli for zucchini and the more softer veggies. This way the harder veggies seem softer because they are smaller and the softer veggies don't water because they are thicker.

Ooh, just had a thought! I've never used one of these before, so I'm not sure if this would work or not, but what about one of these??

• mdcmdc

For those who have either Spirooli or Spiralizer or the handheld one, which one would work best for sweet potatoes? How much force is needed for the handheld? I don't have a lot hand strength. Thanks!

• mdcmdc

I just found this website that compares Spirooli, Spiralizer and Spiralo. http://www.discountjuicers.com/spiralcompare.html

• bobbyrbobbyr Raw Newbie
    blizzful7 said:

Does anyone like their spiralizer? I like the idea of making noodles and all the recipe books I have mention the spiralizer. But, I keep reading negative reviews about it. Is there a trick to it? Do you have one that you absolutely love?