Rejuvelac

So with my recent success with my kombucha, I have been on a fermenting spree!! :) Trying rejuvelac! After sprouting my wheat berries, they have been fermenting in a gallon size container filled with water for 3 days now (room temp fairly cool - around 68-70). It has a thin layer of foam on it. The body of the liquid looks somewhat cloudy. The taste is very watery with the slightest amount of lemony flavor. The smell is not great but not bad. There is almost no carbonation. Is the rejuvelac ready? Should I wait longer? Will it spoil if I wait longer?

Comments

• Would appreciate any ideas you have!! :)

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

It is probably ready, mine wasn't bubbly either and appeared as you described... I used a fish tank type of tubing to siphon the liquid out from under the scum into sterile bottles and then refrigerated them... Also I used Spelt but am going to try Rye next time...

Hope this helps you to decide...

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

It just gets stronger if you wait. The time seems to depend on how much sprouted grain to how much water, as well as the temprature. Three to four days is pretty normal if you started with about a cup of sprouted wheat in that gallon jar, but if it's not very warm, it may take longer. I kind of "spin" my jar every day, which seems make it ferment faster & have less scum on top. The first time I made it, I just tasted it once or twice per day & drank more when I liked it.

• I drank some. Didn't feel sick or anything and I think I am even getting more used to the taste. But, I got terrible gas!! Has this happened to you, waterbaby? or anyone else?