Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Treadmills

ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Hi folks,

I currently live in Seattle and as you may or may not know, the weather is not always very hospitable and conducive to jogging here. I've been thinking about buying a treadmill and was hoping to get some feedback and recommendations from any experienced runners out there.

My research indicates that not all treadmills are designed for jogging and it appears as though the best ones are quite expensive. My budget is about $1,000.00 (but I'm hoping to buy one for less). All comments and recommendations are much appreciated.

--Ahimsa

Comments

• drgonflydrgonfly Raw Newbie

Hi Zemphira. I started on a simple mid priced treadmill. For half a year I walked fast & then gradually went into jogging/running. I then started jogging outside, which I found I love, so I gave my treadmill away. I find when I am on vacation & using a treadmill at a hotel, I only do 20 minutes (I do 1 hour outside). I am spoiled by the outdoors. I live in wooded country (no exhaust fumes) and love the feel of fresh air on my face. I found I needed the trees also! I jog year round, just dress for it. I usually don't go out if it is more than 10 below. I jog the same route, which I heard causes muscle memory, but as I am out there at 5 in the morning, I need to know where it's safe to jog (because of icy roads) and like to know what shadows are just bushes instead of animals. I can't say I would never get a treadmill again (maybe in 10-15 years), but it doesn't do the same thing as the outdoors does. There is no connection to nature.

I know this really doesn't answer your question, but wanted to share what I experienced.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Have you thought about a Rebounder for those inclement days? Much less expensive and just as exhilarating a workout until your feet can hit the road. smile

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Drgnfly - first of all, LOVE your avatar, so beautiful and I truly adore dragonflies. Thank you for sharing your experience and well, sort of inspiring me to maybe rethink my cold weather gear and try and find some safer outside running routes. My neighborhood is "mixed" with good and not so great streets. I've found the best/safest walking routes for Sophia (in my avatar) and myself but I'm afraid, there's so many hills and well, I don't jog so well on hills so I thought about just walking her as usual and then coming home and running on the treadmill to supplement the mileage.

Waterbaby- I actually do have a rebounder and I suppose I can dust it off and bring it back inside for when the weather is not to my liking (I hate wind more than rain and snow!). My only issue with the rebounder is that I'm not sure how running on the rebounder translates to running in mileage. I suppose I can make a good estimate based on how long it takes me to jog a certain distance and just run that same amount of time on the rebounder. My goal this year is to try and train for the Seattle Marathon in June so, not sure how that would work out.

Nonetheless, I do very much appreciate the input and the idea and if I can work out the mileage thing, this might be a much cheaper way to go and I can use the money I had set aside for a treadmill to buy better running gear.

Thank you for the responses =]

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Hi I live on the OR Coast. In the winter I use a rebounder, a self movement at an angle treadmill. I bought it 2 years ago through QVC or HSN. It is called " E Z Walk" It was only $100. Being self propelled it really gives you a work out. I also use bar bells.

• Hi Zemphira! I live in the Okanagan (BC, Canada), and like drgonfly, I enjoy running outdoors all year round. Unfortunately, we have been receiving dumps of snow (more than usual), and I have found running to be pretty unsafe these past few weeks. I ended up getting a gym membership for the month, and although I would much rather be outside, I only spent $25, and have been able to use a solid treadmill and take part in different exercise classes. I didn't have to sign a contract with this gym, and I've enjoyed mixing up my exercise routine. Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you...and just think...in a few months it will be spring again!! YAY!

• drgonflydrgonfly Raw Newbie

Thanks Zemphira! I love dragonflies too & love the color purple & was glad when I found my avatar. I can handle the wind & snow, it is the rain that is hard to get out in. In fact, I've jogged in blizzards. I know some people think I'm nuts, but the wind is exhilarating! Like Beany, I too do some weights, I'm trying to do more to get the whole body thing & we have been having a very cold winter so far so I'm not jogging as much as I'd like. I personally probably just need nature, as I work inside & will start tax season tomorrow. I do get to jog during the daylight hours on days off. But when the moon is out & reflects off the snow, it's just like daylight, only better, because it's just you & the woods.

May you find what works for you & wind to your wings!

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

One thing you might want to consider is the gate of your step, or how wide it is when you walk.

There are different lengths of treadmill decks so if you don't need a really long one that will just take up more space in your home you'll probably save $$ on that too. On the other hand if you are like me and have yardstick length legs you don't want to get stuck with a short treadmill that you won't feel comfortable freely running and walking on.

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Raw Curls - I'm only 5'3" tall and have short legs, so if there's treadmills with shorter decks that are less $$, I'll definitely check those out. I like the idea of the manual treadmill but from what I've read, you need to really have it on an incline to get it going then hop off to adjust it to your comfort level. I should probably just go into a sporting goods store and check out my options, especially if they carry manual treadmills and then shop around. In the meantime, I'll probably pick up some warmish running pants, replace my running shoes that Sophia chewed up and dust off the rebounder.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. You've given me some great ideas to go with.

--Ahimsa

ClaireT
  • TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Zemphira, I got my treadmill a little over a year ago on sale at Amazon, for about $400(I believe it that was a 50% discount). I think it had been discontinued, so always look out for this kind of sale because you can get pretty decent stuff for a ton less.

It was the Merit 710T folding treadmill, which is great for me because I have a very small apartment. I'm short and plump and can jog on it with no problem. I have no idea if it is considered noisy, because I have never used a treadmill before, but my neighbors have not complained yet. Even though I doubt this this model still being sold, you can find something at least this good, or much better if you can afford it.

Because I can't get out to walk or jog, having this has been a blessing.

• streem26streem26 Raw Jr. Leader

Hi Zemphira! I live in Vancouver with always changeable weather . I like running but cant do it outside. I would suggest try different branded treadmills in the store before you buy. Every treadmills has its own shock abosorption system design and peopel may feel different.There are some good brands available on the market and you can try : york, healthstream, lifefitness....etc. I think about Nordic Track. Would be good ask the seller about the following questions: what's the Horse power of the motor? How long is the warranty for the motor?How long is the warranty for the console/display?. 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm still running with Wii Sports. I'm a nerd at heart. sealed