Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vita-mix or Food processor?

ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Hi folks,

I've been vegetarian for about 20 years and strict vegan for about 2 years or so (depending on your definition of strict vegan) and now , slowly transitioning to raw. After reading half a book on raw (Complete Idiots Guide to Eating Raw) and researching information online from various raw foodist related websites, I've noticed that in order to utilize many of the recipes available, one requires the following items:

- A good blender (e.g. Vita-mix/Blentec)

- Decent food processor

- spiraler (I just purchased a Saladacco, I hope to receive it soon)

- Juicer

- Dehydrator

I'm going to have to slowly accumulate these items since I don't have a ton of money to spend and some of these are (in my opinion) rather big ticket items. I'm thinking of going for a Vita-mix soon and I'm trying to price them out (ebay and the refurbished versions on the Vitamix website) however, I'm curious as to which order of priority some of you more experienced raw foodists would give the above items? My second choice is to get a food processor however, it seems as though I would benefit more from the Vita-mix right away.

Any advice, comments, concerns and emotional outbursts are greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Ev

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i love the refurbished vitamix 5000, which i got for $380 free shipping directly from the company. i use it WAYYY more than the dehydrator.

don't worry about getting a juicer! forget it. i use my vitamix, and strain the pulp through a nut milk bag - instant juice!

i use a cuisinart 3 cup food processor. for one person, it's the perfect size, and at $45, perfect price!

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Thanks Winona! I was thinking the same thing about the juicer and was hoping I could get away with a smaller food processor. =]

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I agree about getting a good blender. I have the Blend Tec which is great, the Vitamix is wonderful too. The dehydrator can wait, there's a ton of raw crackers you can get online, but you can check things like Craigslist or second hand shops for good deals on dehydrators. A blender will get use on a daily basis for sure. Mine certainly does.

• I started with a juicer...as much as I like it, it was a mistake to go for that before the blender (refurbished vitamix 5200).

I just ordered a small dehydrator and I'm excited to get that soon.

in hindsight I'd say my priority list would be...

1) Blender

2) Dehydrator

3) Food processor

4) Juicer

• I'm certainly not an expert or full-time raw foodist, but I've found I can make pretty good noodles with a regular vegetable peeler (re: spiral slicer). Just peel along the length of the vegetable, rotating so you are peeling evenly. It's not fancy and spiraled, but it's a noodle to me!

ETA: Ooops! I just realized you already purchased a Saladacco. Sorry about that.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I use my Waring Xtreme Blender 2-4 times a day, it has a pulse button which allows it to perform as a food processor... I am saving up now to get a Stainless steel carafe...

I splurged and bought a 12 cup Cuisinart Food Processor and recommend the larger size if you enjoy making foods ahead or have more than you to feed...

I saved up and later bought a Stainless Steel Sausage Maker Dehydrator with stainless steel shelves and fiberglass sheets... So glad I made this purchase, use it weekly and don't worry about fumes from plastic or telflex...

I've made cranraisins, red white and blue raisins, dried apples, beets, tomatoes, herbs and soaked nuts & seeds... But most of all I have enjoyed eating all those delicious crackers with my nut/seed cheeses nightly...

I also use a coffee grinder every time I make crackers, about once a week...

Good Luck with all your new equipment as you acquire them... smile

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I totally agree with everyone. A good blender is the most essential item in a raw kitchen (have a VitaMix).

• Hi ~ We were going to buy a Blendtec for our next blender because everything we read seemed to point toward it being the best. But then we watched a vita-mix demo in person. Of course you know how good those in store in person demo's can be! And of course we bought one right then and there. The woman said that the Blendtec could not blend seeds up before the drink got to hot but the Vita mix could and that the Vita mix was the only one on the market with the new BPA plastic that doesn't leach into your food. Those 2 bits of info are what sold us. There were other things also but I don't remember what they were. Hopefully the info was true. I can tell you I absolutely LOVE my Vita-mix!!! I use it every morning. I do not pull my juicer out hardly ever. It juices fine enough that I don't even strain it ~ I just have slightly thicker juice. I do still use my food processer though. It does different things than the blender. Although I don't seem to use the processer as often. But each tool in the kitchen has its own use. So anyhow...that's my experience with it. Good luck on choosing:)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I agree - buy food processor BEFORE dehydrator. Then you can make pates, pestos, etc.

• vitamix is definitely number one. i use mine several times a day for soups, smoothies, grinding seeds, etc.

i would put the food processor before the dehydrator. i use it way more often. sometimes you don't want things pulverized quite as much as a blender would pulverize them. plus, blenders make you have a certain amount of liquid to get things moving, and the processor isn't so finicky. i make most of my pat

Thanks for all the great posts everyone!

I'll put more effort into pricing out the Vita-mix and hopefully, make a decision and purchase one soon. I made some zucchini noodles last night with my potato peeler and it worked fine, but I'm looking forward to getting my Saladacco and making some angel hair pasta as well.

I was also pleasantly surprised last night that my cheap little Oster blender was able to chop (using pulse) my fresh tomatoes along with sundried tomatoes pretty well. Well enough for me to feel good about putting off a food processor until I find a really good deal.

One more item(s) I'd like to add to the list is some sprouting equipment. I've only started reading about sprouting options but it seems to range from just a nut milk bag/cheese cloth and some mason jars to a fully self-contained sprouting system. Any thoughts and experience with sprouting?

Thanks again!

Ev

Wow Ruby, sorry you had such a frustrating experience. I can relate to your reaction and I hope your Vita-Mix meets all your needs.

I think I'm going to order mine today as well. I can't decide on whether I need the 2 blades (dry/wet) or if the basic model is enough.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I keep one or two different kinds of sprouts going most of the time. Since I'm the only one in my house eating them, jars work fine for me. I think it would depend on how many people will be eating the sprouts, and how many different varieties you want available at one time. I'd suggest starting with glass jars. You can always decide to upgrade later.

• Blender is definitely number 1. I do so love my spiralizer, but before i got it, i made noodles with my vegetable peeler. Not as pretty, but it worked. Juicer, I just rarely use because I consider it a pain in the ass. So it gathers dust.

My order:

1. Blender

2. Food processor

3. dehydrator

4. juicer

5.spiralizer

• I called Blendtec after I read the post about the BPA free Vitamix. Their new jar is BPA free but mine that I've had for a year has minute amounts of BPA in it. I have to buy the new jar for 50 bucks. I guess I'll live with mine for a while.

The other thing about the seeds not grinding until it was hot is baloney. I grind seeds in mine every day and it doesn't get hot. I know you've bought the Vitamix already and I'm sure you'll be happy with it but I just wanted to keep the record straight for people who haven't bought yet.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

ok, so I burnt my one cuisinart blender out. Still wasn't keen on shelling out several hundred dollars on a vitamix so I bought an Oster for $70.00 just to get me through until I could buy the vitamix. I have had it for 5 days and I absolutely hate it. I was so ticked off this morning after using it, I called Vitamix and ordered the super deluxe package. I didn't care what it cost!!! That is how frustrated I was. So, I feel almost like a sense of calm has now come over me knowing that I will not have to struggle with the lesser blenders anymore. She said I should have it by Monday. I CANNOT WAIT!!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

i wish i had a food processor. i have a cheap blender and i am happy with it. i don't think juicing is essential.

• My vitamix (dry container specifically) always works fine to replace a food processor in recipes. I've never needed one.

• A food processor is nice but I use it a lot less since getting aVitamix.

I agree... a good blender is the primary appliance to invest in. Vitamix and Blendtec are great choices. You can find a great comparison of the two here: Vitamix/Blendtec comparison

Sprouting is simple and no special equipment is necessary. Soaking your seeds in a jar and straining works great.

• i love my vitamix

i've had one in my life (at least one!) for the past 16 years

literally use it from soup to nuts :)

i'm going to share a code anyone can use to get the absolute best promotional savings as well as free ground shipping on any model and package. pick the one that's best for you in your choice of colors.

there's a new limited edition platinum model that's really pretty, white, black and red.

***use my affiliate savings code: 06-004658 to save on both new and reconditioned vitamix blenders!***

also enter by 12/13/09 with your blender purchase to enter a fantastic vitamix basket giveaway

just use my code and you can save on your new (or reconditioned) vitamixer and get great gifts & i can get credit for it when you do. thanks. pass it on too.

/|\ namaste all.

docrona

• alexa,

do you chop veggies in your dry container?

just curious

i use my cuisinart to chop usually

other than when i spiralize or use a peeler to make zucchini linguini (yum)

i know it's possible and easy to wet chop in the vitamix wet container but was just wondering what u chop up in your dry blade container

thanks in advance for your reply!

rona

http://www.DrRonaThau.com

http://www.BlendEverything.com

:)

p.s. also want to let you know that a 3 payment plan is available to make the vitamix easier to pay for

just call and give them this code 06-004658 and ask to utilize the 3 payment plan

when you begin making more things, especially raw foods and smoothies, nut butters , chocolates and desserts at home

you'll save enough to pay for the machine within a matter of months.

i did

and

no more blender burnout!

happy new year TWENTY TEN

• Soul food recipes continue to maintain popularity among consumers. The Great Recession is credited for the growing popularity. Because the dishes have the reputation of sticking to the ribs or having staying power. For example, eating the average soul food meal stays with the average person 2 to 3 hours longer than Chinese food. And it stays up to an hour longer than Italian food, which came in second place in this University of California study gourmet ingredients Wide range of gourmet cooking ingredients and speciality French food gifts at our UK online store. Special offers, fast delivery