Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

what "first bite" experience will you always remember---in a good way?

I just tasted nutritional yeast the other day and was pleasantly surprised that it really DID taste a bit cheesy. It made me think of other new food encounters I've had, such as my first taste of custard apple that left me searching for months for "this white, super sweet fruit with hard black seeds" since I didn't know what the outside looked like, or the name of it even; or the first time I ate fresh (but still cooked) green beans as a child (after my grandfather forced me to try them), and then all I wanted was green beans all weekend.

To the point:

what "first bite" experience will you always remember---in a good way?

PS: I have a fresh coconut sitting on top of my fridge as I write this. I've NEVER had fresh coconut before so I'm looking forward to trying it this week. The shocking part: I've lived in Asia off-and-on for three years and never bought or ate a coconut. Ludicrous, I know.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

well, this isn't raw, but i am in this competition every month called the daring bakers challenge and in december, we made this REALLY hard dessert: a french yule log. the assembly took about 8 hours and then there was the chilling time which was 24 hours.

i was in heaven when i tried it because i was so proud of myself for making it taste good. i had to convert the recipe to be vegan and gluten-free, and it actually worked!! i will never forget the dessert and first bite.

ps- i love nooch, too!! i just put it in a bread recipe i made and it was awesome.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

joannabanana, i live in france and i see those yule logs lining the bakery window every christmal :)

this was the first year I didn't eat one!

My first bite was Jennifer Cornbleet's walnut brownies. I thought " oh my gosh, I no longer need other desserts. I can convert to 100 per cent raw !"

• moe's southwest grille burritos.

heaven in my mouth when i took my first bite of their art vandalay with pinto beans and loads of veggies.

carnap, i'm determined to make a raw french yule log!!! it was the most delicious dessert ever!! i bet it was tough saying no to that beauty in the bakery window.

i will definitely have to make those walnut brownies if they are as good as you say. i LOVE brownies and anything and everything chocolate.

do you eat any food that i've probably never heard of??? i mean, does france have different produce and stuff?

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

frozen bananas! my eyes got all big when i realized they had an icecream consistency.

Oh, and figs. And dates. And avocados when I realized i could eat as much as i wanted without getting fat...

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Probably figs. I had never eaten fruit or vegetables before in my life, so I had no clue what to expect when I randomly bought a box of figs grown down the street from me. When I bit into it I could hear the chorus!! I've been hooked on figs ever since then.

And also, sushi! GOOD sushi. I had some icky sushi the first time so it was like 'eh', but my dad convinced me to try it at a restaurant instead of store-bought. The combo of textures and flavors all in that one little nibble of food sent me into a frenzy! lol. Now I love to make raw versions of sushi with the different textures and flavors of sauces, veggies, pates, etc.

• Fresh. Medjool. Dates.

So gooey, rich, complex flavors, almost fudgey, fruits of heaven:)

I almost wish I never tasted them by themselves, they are my weakness.

• PamPam

I came home from work one day and my daughter who was around 10 at the time was sitting on the floor methodically paring a kiwi that she got from school. "Why didn't you ever tell me about kiwi?" she asked in an accusatory tone!

• A Harry and David Royal Riviera Pear.

berryraw, i'm chowing down on medjool dates right now!!! hey are one of my weaknesses, too. it was pure bliss when i first laid my eyes on them.

stRAWberry, i have a question about harry and david fruits. are they organic?? my grandma has been ordering their fruit ever since i can remember, and she always gives me a box of their pears. they truly are amazing!!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I have a few of these... Matt Amden's Summer Corn Salad (i try to make it with other veggies besides corn) - I love curry and this is just the right mixture of curry! I also love Sarma and Matthew's Thai Wraps - they are so good! I could probably eat the entire batch by myself. There's also a recipe on this site called Broccoli Slaw and it is exactly like the SAD version with the ramen noodles... but so much better! There's another recipe on this site for Apple Crumble and it is divine - I can seriously eat the entire "pie"! Yum! I am also a Medjool Date junkie - I love to eat them plain too. I also love to eat them as a Pecan Pie - a date between two pecan halves - kinda like an ice cream sandwhich of sorts. Yum! I could probably keep going on and on and on.... there are so many great "first bite" experiences!

• It's funny you mentioned the Yule log, Joanna, because I'd never in my life heard of it until this year; suddenly it seemed like they were everywhere on the web and even on Food Network, so I must have grown up in a hold somewhere to never have heard of it. Is it a French custom then?

Oh, and I agree with the fig comments...my boyfriend is a fig addict now, too.

• joannabanana - Wowser, lucky you!!!!!!!!!!! I want a grammy who sends me H&D. Harry and David do have some organics. The pears are on sale this month with free shipping and I just ordered some. If you subscribe to their online newsletter, you get an extra percentage off AND they have blemished pears even for less. So I ordered beaucoup. Can't wait til they get here. We have this darlin' little old man with a refrigerated van who brings in Plant City strawberries in season, so I just got a flat of FRESH, fragrant berries. I will be enjoying strawberries and pears in single digit weather. I feel so blessed.

• This isn't raw. But one of the best foods I've tasted in America was at a restaurant, I believe it was a small Italian one, and I ordered portabella mushrooms stuffed with parmesian cheese of exquisite quality.

But the best of all...to this day I still remember when I lived in Russia, the food there (desserts, fruit, breads, everything) was incredible. Of course, that could have been due to hunger, but I can still remember the taste of even the simplest food being extraordinary.

As for the best tasting raw food, I keep it simple, fresh pineapples are my favorite. Sometimes I like to add a parfait bannana creme to it for an additional kick. Better than whipped cream!

• First bite of figs unforgettable

First luscious bite of persimmon unforgettable

First bite of durian wow!

First bite of cherimoya double wow

So fruit seemsto take the prize here..

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Oooooh, I haven't had persimmon yet, but I'm on the lookout after reading a few stories about them last week! I also want to try a durian... where could I buy one of these in Texas? Can you have them shipped to you or should I go to an Asian market...

What's a cherimoya?

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I made raw tacos last night for the first time. I was so pleasantly surprised and in pure heaven when I took my first bite. I'm shocked how tastey and "meaty" the filling made of sprouted sunflower seeds turned out. I ate the entire batch and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

• It's got to be the first fruits of my garden in the spring starting with asparagus and later on strawberries, tomatoes, radishes, carrots. corn. Often the produce doesn't make it to the house as I just wander through the garden and pluck whatever is ripe--can't get any fresher than that!!

• penfoldpenfold Raw Newbie

Golden kiwi. I had always thought they were just kind of gimmicky or something, so ignored them. A guy from New Zealand was staying at the hotel I work at. He actually grew kiwis and had a big box with him. (Never quite got a straight answer as to how he got them through customs.) These ones were almost the size of my fist, and perfectly ripe. He gave me a few and when I ate the first one, my eyes probably rolled back in my head. It was like what candy is supposed to be but never attains. None of the tartness of green kiwis, and a complex medley of fruit flavours - mango, melon, raspberry. I haven't had one as good since, though. Guess I'm going to NZ.

penfold, that kiwi sounds amazing!! bring me one back, would you?? haha

• Marang from the phillipines also called sarap. YUM! you cant get it here in United states so when I visit my family there I go crazy. I has a short season and doesnt transport well unfortunately. I think places like thailand might also have it.

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I'll have to look for golden Kiwi at the Co-op next time I'm there, sounds delicious. =]

• I found durian in Austin, at an asian market, this past fall. So if you live in a large city or close to one, you can find durian no problem, Cherimoya is a tropical fruit, its beyond delicious, they may have it at Wholefoods or you can request it, I also saw it at the asian market in Austin enjoy...I don't think you can have durian shipped as its very smelly and sometimes its odor is mistaken for a gas leak, good luck, once you find these fruit enjoy and please share with us your experience and opinion, I miss Texas, I'm from DC but for the last 5 yrs my home away from home has been Austin, TX, I live in Europe.

Blessings xo Dea

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Oh Pam, the kiwi story is awesome.

Two dried fruits come to mind - sun-dried persimmons from the farmers' market, sold by a guy whose farm is somewhere outside Fresno (look him up, heh). I've also had dried persimmons from Asian markets but they are not nearly as good. I have no interest in fresh persimmons, but they're so good raw.

Even better was some dried Israeli fruit a friend's mom brought with her when she came for a visit. She said it's called "sabra" in Israel but nobody here seems to sell it or even know what it is. It tasted like dried Hawaiian Punch and had a rusty-reddish color. She claimed it was picked fresh and just sun-dried, but it was so good I'm still skeptical...