Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw sweets for children - help needed!

I am doing a workshop for children aged 8 – 12 on sugar free sweets/desserts. I will need to keep them doing things, so i can’t really use a blender or food processor – need to keep them involved with chopping/mixing etc. Does anyone have any good ideas? I am so used to just using my blender and food processor! Also I don’t really want to use nuts in case any are allergic..

Any help/recipes gratefully received!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hmmm, I can’t think of many desserts that I made that didn’t require a food processor or dehydrator. I’ll keep thinking though

Here’s a very simple, easy one. Dates and coconut butter. Cut the dates in half, spread the coconut butter on top. Yumm!

I just had these for dessert yesterday and today. But I used fresh coconut. The coconut butter is easier to work with – for the kids.

• great, thanks. we don’t get coconut butter over here (!) but can get them to mix coconut chips with agave. Will definitely use this in some way.C

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Cath,

What about some really simple things like banana or strawberry dipped in raw chocolate sauce. I make my sauce with either agave or maple syrup and add equal parts raw chocolate powder.

You say you can’t get coconut butter. By that do you mean coconut oil too?

Well, if the coconut chips are not raw… you’re left with a cooked dessert. Dates aren’t raw – right? You can just add the coconut chips to the dates (no agave)... the dates are sweet enough.

Oh yeah, and I remember having apples in a pineapple juice with shredded coconut and diced dates (tiny)... or maybe it was raisins. But, then you have to get pineapple juice… maybe you can try pineapple chunks instead.

This is not an easy one. I’m curious to hear what others say.

I like the fruit dipping into raw chocolate idea too.

You may have to pre-make some things to use. Is that an option?

• Marichiesa, If you indent sentences it makes those crazy long strings of words. It happened to me and Ray explained it. I guess it’s because of the code. Though I’m still lobbying for the right to indent.

• Why is dates cooked? you could chop up different kinds of dried fruit and roll them in to balls.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi, You can get coconut butter here in the UK.

From here: http://www.totalrawfood.com/products/&c=raw-food&r=raw-foods-and-snacks&p=coconut-butter&cat=17&range=75&product=334

and here http://www.detoxyourworld.com/cgi-bin/sh000001….

and here:

http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_pag…

Here is my favourite sweet recipe in the world: http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/806-Heavenly

Dates are raw if they are bought fresh which are very easily founf in the UK at Asian/Middle Eastern food shops, or if they are sundried.

• How about mixing some tahini with chopped dates and berries for a fruit dip. Or celery sticks with tahini and raisins is always good although not really a sweet treat I guess. Mashing up bananas and using that as a pudding and getting the kids to add in their favorite things like cinnamon or berries or carob etc. My sons favorite treat is avocado mashed with raspberries. If you do use nuts a date stuffed with an almond is sooo good.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Avo Cado,

Thanks! I wondered what the heck I was doing? I’ll go indent free. ;-)

Dates ARE RAW? I just figured they are non-raw like all the other dried fruit sold.

I wonder if it would work to have the kids mash up some avocado and mix it in with carob powder. There’s a recipe for that on welikeitraw. But, I don’t know if the kids would eat something like that… once they find out it has avocado. Avocado is not something you think of, when you think of dessert.

If you can take almond butter (instead of making it in class), maybe a banana to dip in almond butter… and sprinkle some coconut, nuts, raisins/dates, carob/cacao, etc. on it.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Create-your-own recipes: You could have 10-15 containers of different items…different berries, coconuts, lemon juice, diced onions, lime juice, seeds, diced apples, zest of different fruits, etc. and allow the kids to create their own unique recipe/treat? It’s amazing what delicious treats kids can make on a whim! Then you could have recipe cards where they can write down their own recipe and give it a name. You could also do this and they could prepare their own trailmix bags…various seeds, dried fruits, dried veggies, coconut chips, etc.

Another idea is making homemade granola/granola bars that can be pressed and frozen or dehydrated at a later time, or sprinkled over berries.