Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How much is 80 procent raw?

Comments

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

I thinks it's hilarious that eple the original poster has not added another comment. They really opened up a can o worms, ha ha!

I thought I would add another angle to this. I myself have done certain degrees of raw and you definitely feel different at each level. When I started eating cooked food again I would go overboard some weeks and I did not feel good. That would be that I ate 5-7 cooked macrobiotic meals in one week = no good for me. But this is after I had been high raw for a year and a half. Now I can say that if I only eat one cooked food meal a week it does not have the negative effects. But now that I went in both directions I know that I prefer all raw with 1-2 cooked meals a month. When I went raw though I was not trying to cure life threatening health problems. I was trying to accomplish many things health wise though and overcome some nagging problems that I had.

It's funny but in the long run going back to occasionally eating cooked macrobiotic food has done wonders for my raw food diet as well. I was really overeating raw sweets and going to low low sugar macrobiotic helped me loose my sweet tooth and gain a better understanding of how to eat raw food for nutrition not, ohh it must be healthy because it's raw including endless amounts of sweets and chocolate and other questionable "health" foods. So now I am moving away from cooked foods again but my raw diet is serving me so much better then it did before and I thought I really got it when I first started. Over the past 2 1/2 year raw journey I have kept reading books and information on the internet on raw nutrition and I really experiment alot on myself. I think this is key! If something raw in not working don't be afraid to eat something else while you are figuring it out, you will probably come back to raw because it is the best!!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Thank you superfood2. Your first paragraph expresses my sentiments precisely. This was the first (and so far the only) post by this new member. There are precious few comments on this thread addressed directly to eple. I hope the demeanor this thread has taken will not discourage them in their raw journey.

In my opinion, the discussion here is not necessarily out of line. It IS, however, on the WRONG FORUM. The original question is posted under New to Raw -- by Gone Raw's definition, "A place to get your basic questions asked, post information for newbies and talk about transitioning to a raw, vegan diet." I think this discussion would serve our community better if it were taking place in the Being Raw forum.

• Personally, I call myself Trisha. And that's what I want people to call ME. And I do happen to eat a couple of raw meals a day, but I feel no need to move the needle further in one direction or the other. I started out outstandingly fit and healthy. Since incorporating more raw food into my diet, I'm still outstandingly fit and healthy. But according to recent lab reports - I'm not appreciably healthier since I traded in my egg breakfasts for green smoothes. I do it raw because I like the way it tastes. Why do people get so passionate about percentages? Is it a competitive thing? I don't get it.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Oh, your opinion is your opinion; that's for sure. I'm quite positive no one wants to change YOU, Chris. I think what would be best is if you accepted others and also accepted common definitions.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

You know you are right...

I should not dis myself and just say that i was Venting 'cause that's not true. My first post #2 was my answer to one of the 3 questions posed by epie. It was my honest heartfelt answer. I see nothing un-great or un-welcoming about it.

here is my opening statement...

"Personally it's not ruining my life or anything but I don't like those less than 100% calling themselves Raw. It serves to confuse those who are not into raw. It to me almost makes light of it all, like it just doesn't matter that much. This percentage thing isn't used with vegans. etc."

Sounds like just someone stating their opinion to me. I even say "I don't like..." in my first sentence. How is my opinion not valid? Should only the 60-80% people answer questions from newbies honestly, because we might scare them off otherwise. Talk about arrogant! Is this the "walking on eggshells to protect the poor weak newbie" forum. i just spent 4 years living in Europe and I would bet that to Norwegian epie and his Italian wife, my answer seemed perfectly normal. Is this some of the ole' "Americans and the Stupid Foreigner" stuff. Like when we raise our voice to be understood while continuing to say the same English phrase over and over again, like they have a hearing problem. epie is an grown man and I don't have to hold his hand while we cross the street.

I'm sure epie is fine and I am glad that this all happened. It caused me to soul search and come out with post #24 which I've needed to do for a long time. This really defined Raw to me and for that I am thankful.

epie much love, you can write me direct any time, many do. I'll give you the same attention that I do everyone else who writes me. It's all free too. My website is on my profile page and my email address is on my website.

back to your question...

Toasted Nuts: I think most of us, no matter what percentage we are, try to buy nuts that are Raw. you should be able to get them online which is the same place you will find a dehydrator. I'm back in America now, but I think I remember a German company called Kremling having a good raw nut selection, good prices and I think free shipping on even some small orders. Try them.

I do accept others, you don't know me. Check my join date and go back and read the many 100's of my posts on this website or the many 100's of my posts on GI2MR, or the nearly 1000 answers on my Q & A forum on my site. Sorry you can't see my private email outbox or you could read all those too. I do accept others, i accept that they can handle the truth. People used to accept that I was 400 pounds and dying. I'm damn glad that not everyone did.

And it sounds like YOU Do want to change me. You said... "I think what would be best is if you" that pretty much saying that you think I should change????

Lovebows, Chris

PS. You may want to also notice that there is nothing currently for sale on my website and no advertising either.

If you accepted others, why can't you accept a definition of a word and that people follow it? I think it would be best, yes, for your own peace of mind, if you accepted others and that you are not them, they are not you. I stand by that. You'd have to change YOURSELF, not anyone else change you, for that to happen. You'd have to change your outlook.

Your life-changing event(s), while awesome, have little relevance to what a raw foodist is.

again I quote myself... "Personally it's not ruining my life or anything" I think this shows my acceptance of the common use of the word Raw My experience is not relevant! WTF? Who's is? How about some acceptance here? Tell you what, I really feel insulted now. Anything else???? Come on I must be doing something else wrong!!! Damn, I'm really sorry epie! Maybe I am just an A$$hole.

I'll see ya'll later.

Chris

• -> Chris. Keep it up Chris, You may have stepped on someones toes, but I think it says more about them than you.

I know you said it's not ruining your life or anything, but then you talked about it for about 5 paragraphs, Chris. Your experience is relevant, of course, but not relevant to a definition of a word or phrase. I accept you and what has happened to you. I don't accept that you can change the definition of a word to suit you. I understand why you want to and I have listened to you, but that doesn't change the word/phrase. I don't think you're an a-hole at all, Chris. You seem really nice. I hope you find peace with the term "raw foodist" one day.

When I first read what a raw foodie was, I already knew I wanted to do high raw, about 80%, so I knew I was a raw foodist from the get-go. Then I got into 95%, then 99%, and now somewhere between 99-100%. But I don't think that really matters. I'm a raw foodist, you're a raw foodist, and hopefully we can communicate effectively with each other. If you're a vegan, awesome. I love people who respect other animals' lives!

• My two cents: A rawfodist eats raw, not 60, 70 or 99% raw. I dont care who made that definition and that people, for some reason, hang on to it.

How can you call yourself raw if 30% of your diet is cooked? I call my self high raw, not raw, because Im not 100%.

I think that the whole "why can

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

"Anything else???? Come on I must be doing something else wrong!!!" You're not doing anything wrong and haven't did anything wrong. This is a support site, not a debate site. 80% Raw is really good, means that 80% of your cals comes from raw foods. It's just a number, and if you feel good with it, then keep doing it. No need to make changes if your HAPPY with yourself. BTW i do think another label is needed here because there are clearly two groups of people that are RAW. The raw foodists and the raw purists. Fortunately both groups have the same goals, healthy diets.

Good luck!!!

• Wow, I think epie has ducked out of town. This is kind of like if you walk up to a couple you haven't seen in a while and say "So how's it going with the new house?" and then WWIII breaks out between them. LOL I think this is a GREAT community, and I'm glad we can be honest with each other and even heated at times. I hope epie gives himself a chance to get to know us better, and that we're not always so rowdy.

This is epies first and only post (hopefully not the last lol) and it really does look like epie was scared away.

43 replies for a first post isn't too bad either!!!

• So, epie, where you at...???!!!! Please let us hear from you.

• bexbex

As a newbie to raw but vegan for several years I can definitely identify with loose termanology.

Chris - I think I can agree. Raw foodie/foodist makes me think someone who eats only raw food just like vegan makes me think absolutely no animal products (anywhere in your life). I think it's fair to say you are working towards being a raw foodist or even you are about 60% raw or whatever percentage. I think people should make it clear. There is far too many people throwing terms and labels loosely around.

Dagny - I can't even hold back anymore when someone says "well some vegetarians eat fish" No No No! Those aren't vegetarians, those are wannabees. They have their own term they are just too lazy to use it and like to confuse the crap out of everyone they meet so that when a real vegetarian shows up they are served a plate of fish! Sorry. Mini vent.

"There is far too many people throwing terms and labels loosely around." Just out of curiosity, why does this bother you?? Are the labels more important than peoples heatlh?? Do the labels that you are so proud of help promote the raw food diet/ raw food movement? Do the labels help people with their problems, or do their existence cause debates instead of support? I have associates at work that tell me that fish isn't meat, should I label those people as well??

That's my daily vent!!!

;-)

Thanks and good luck!!!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Rawcanadian -- I've been peeking at your profile from time to time, to keep up with your journey. Congratulations on your blood pressure readings. I have also come off all 4 prescription meds, including blood pressure and cholesterol, and haven't needed any over the counter type stuff in months. I'm about 75% raw at the moment, some days actually closer to 100%.

I know this is way off topic, but this newbie thread has already been hijacked, so I figured this was as good a place as any to congratulate you on your improved health. Maybe if Helge & Elena login and check this topic they will be encouraged by what they read in your profile. Keep on keeping on . . . and do update on your profile after your February checkup.

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

Chris...this is Not a knock...I totally respect your views...and I think it's fine if people talk in percentages to describe themselves. It is fairly common to hear people call themselves raw at 70-80%. Whatever. People who call themselves raw are So far and afew between, that I can take the time to ask what percentage they are.

Anyways, my real question is you say you're 100%. What does that mean to you? Does that mean you don't eat cashews or other nuts or store bought sun-dried tomatoes, or agave or commercial spices or 'raw' cacao or whatever else is suspect? Cuz there is that whole grey area that All rv's usually accept, which would then technically mean they weren't. Just wondering if you're in that camp.

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

leah celeste

-loved that post too. I am currently starting out 'all' raw, but once I reach some milestones I hope to do exactly what you are doing. It's very interesting to read your journey with it.

• Hey Chris! Of course we're still friends :)

RawCanadian, I'm sorry you seem to feel the stricter use of the "raw" label undermines your efforts and all the good work others have done to heal themselves. I respect your view, but I wish you could use language that was a little less defensive.

Personally, I am always a little disappointed on this site when someone describes themselves as raw but then admits to eating cooked food 20% of the time or more. It's the same for me as if I met someone who introduced themselves as vegan, but then ate honey. I also think that the use of raw as a "label" is a little misguided. I am not a "vegan person". I am a person who chooses to follow a vegan diet. The diet is the definition, and I know we've already gone through a number of cited definitions, but I believe that labels are important for setting standards and creating common understandings. So I when asked about my diet, I would say that I strive for a raw vegan diet, not that I am raw. To say anything more is to set myself up for criticism.

Have a lovely day

~Parsley

The stricter word of the raw label would be 100% raw (which is debatable since some things that we think are raw might not be).

I don't feel that these labels undermine my efforts. Over the last few months I have become more and more raw. My percentage has gone up. Some days it is higher. Some days it is lower. So my efforts have been positive for ME, since I am doing this for my health.

I don't go around saying im 80% or 70% or 100%, because I don't know what I am. But I do know I am a raw foodist.

I don't need others to tell me what I am or and I don't feel I should worry if somebody eats honey.

Striving to be a raw vegan is like being a wannabe. I know your NOT wannabe, but a real raw foodist.

Hopefully you realize your the real deal!!!!

;-)

Thanks Parsley!

Hey Banana,

Check out my post #24 on this thread. I think I covered all those questions. I'll also add that I follow The Dead Food List for what I call Raw. here... http://www.purelyraw.com/deadfoodlist.htm

Also i will be updating The Dead Food List again soon and adding more article pages to the site, covering even more details on living purely raw. (my term for 100%)

Hey rawcanadian,

I thought you said "this is not a debate site" Have you read your post #47? I thought you wanted to drop all this debate and 'honor' epie???

• Hi everyone..

First i want to thank everyone for their many views on my post. Every oppinion is appriciated and also all the answers.

The reason i asked 80 prosenatge was because i read in many other treads in this forum of people writing they eat raw food most of the day and then had only one cooked meal a day and they considered themself 60-70 procentage raw etc etc.

I am new so i thought it was maybe normal to count or think like this.

My view is that you you could consider yourself raw when reached 100%. Im also doing this for myself my own good.

It is for us a goal to reach 100 % but i see now it is gonna take a bit time.but we stopped eating bread but still we eat one or two times a week at or other people and there we eat cooked food. and we also use balsamico vinegard on salad that is not raw.

A question is yeast considered raw direct translated to english it would be "edible beer yeast"?

Anyway we love the raw food and try to eat as much as we can and we do it because we belive it is only for our own good..:)

Hi Eple,

Yes , it is normal to eat a high raw diet, and then eat one cooked meal a day. Your probably eating that cooked meal with family members and that is fine. Eventually you might want to start slowly adding more raw food to that meal. Instead of taking things out, just add raw things in. I'm not sure if yeast if 100% raw. It is living so I would imagine it is. But this is why I don't like the 100% raw label, because things like agave syrup and some dehydrated produce might not be 100% raw.

In fact dehydrating might kill anywhere from 10%-30% of the enzymes, therefore somebody that eats say raw raisins and is 100% raw is no longer 100% raw.

That is why we shouldn't go by labels.

Good luck!!!

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

eple! Wonderful surprise that you return despite the above proof that this forum really is similar to a 'family'. Sigh, warts and all.

If you are asking about Brewers Yeast (which is different from Nutritional Yeast & Baking Yeast) it is active but not raw because it's a by product of, and used for brewing beer. It is not so much a food as a supplement (vitamin). It is full of the B vitamins and chromium so, very good for you if you are taking it for that.

Nutritional Yeast Flakes (might be what you are hearing about pertaining to raw) are also not raw but I have enjoyed small amounts of it mixed into nuts and veg. as a 'spice' sort of. It can make a very good tasting cheese substitute. It is a deactivated yeast and you can probably find it at your health food store.

• When I first became a vegan I ate lots of nutritional yeast because it does have that "cheesy" flavor that I missed. Now I choose not to eat nutritional yeast because I believe it to have a similar properties as MSG. Plus, after not eating it for awhile while traveling, I don't even like it. Also, nutritional yeast does not have any actual nutritional value unless you buy the B12 fortified brands, which is sold here under Red Star.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

I agree Parsley. Definitely a transitional item, or something to try. Very much like me and cacao. These things are good to have around for when the mood strikes but I think they will last me awhile. Plain food keeps getting better.

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

I pondered this a bit last night... I think that being raw exists on two levels - a mental level (which roughly aligns with internal committment to being raw), and a practice level (which aligns with what you are actually doing, depends on other things too).

In as much as being raw is a way of life (and not a religion), this analogy might be appropriate.. A Christian/Muslim/Jew (insert other philosophy here) will assert that they are (whatever it is). That's on the mental level. On the practice level, the person will observe and adhere to all the principles laid out for that way of life.

If they go through periods when they do not/cannot adhere to all the principles, then they say "I am still committed (mental), but I am human, and tomorrow is a new day. They'll go for confession, do offerings or whatever is mandated to rejuvenate their faith and committment.

If they adhere to every principle of their chosen way of life - for their whole life (to a "T") - then they get to be acknowledged by their fellows - and worshipped in perpetuity as saints or godly beings. The rest of us (mortals) accept human nature, and merely live each day, aspiring to be better tomorrow than we were today.

Back to raw, being raw comes along with it a set of tenets that you hold dear, and aspire to. Insert "bioactive, living food, organic, exercise, meditation, yadi yada ". The raw practitioner at sometime says "I'm raw" - and you then have to be true to yourself in that assertion. If you are gorging yourself on KFC three times a day while saying that you are raw, unless you are getting to the chicken before it hits the fryer, then you are clearly a way away from what is "commonly accepted" as being raw.

And definitely not raw vegan.

When I committed to being raw, I had been eating meat, but was at least 50% green for a few months, I had just not learned about enzymes, food combining, and the other tenets of being raw. Or even connected it with a "raw food movement". At the point of committing to being raw, instead of drifting, and just eating much green (aimless), I then had "a goal", a mental shift which reset my nutritional goals..

I am still aspiring to live the raw-saintly life. Each day is a new day. I usually discover something new each day. If (or when) I "sin", I have my confessional (journal) to which I don't commit feelings of guilt, but rather messages about what led me to where I was, and what I learned. There was a lot of discussion in this vein on the "cheating" threads (http://www.goneraw.com/node/17184, http://www.goneraw.com/node/2178 , http://www.goneraw.com/node/17044, etc).

The unique thing about being raw is that your body usually thanks you for being raw - in a really tight feedback loop. When I eat cooked, I usually feel the effect of it (not good) within minutes to an hour. Still, I know the difference when I consciously decide to eat cooked, versus when I get caught in a situation that led me there without intending to go there. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to extend my metaphor to this (unwitting sin, versus conscious sin)....

Personally, I think that the true mental committment to being raw (internal) is way more important than the practice, which can vary from day to week to month, depending on your circumstance. When "being raw" is used as a label, it becomes damaging, I don't think that this lifestyle is amenable to quantitative measures (60%, 73%, 97.5%, etc) of quality.

Welcome EPLE - being raw really feels like a journey. When you think that you know absolutely everything that there is to know and do about being raw, then it is no longer a journey, it is a state of being. You can get off the bus, take pictures, etc. There's no where else to go. Most of the fun that I am having right now is enjoying the landscape as it passes by. I dread reaching the end of this journey.

Enjoy your own journey too, tell us what you discover on the way. Yours should be even more fun because you have a fellow traveller! ;-)

Peace and love. DL.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

derryckl - That was a BEAUTIFUL description of the raw journey. Very eloquent! Raw is a journey - and it's about a state of mind. Those hit home for me. Years after first hearing about raw, i'm still adjusting my raw diet week to week, and i'm striving for an ever more nutritious raw diet, an ever better state of mind. This is a fantastic journey, and i have added more and more tenets to aspire to with every week of being raw (organic, local, mineral rich, long distance biking, ego free living, meditation, sailing, eco transportation, animal caregiving, etc). I'm a truly different, more inspired, motivated, accomplished, happier person than I was before hearing about raw 2 years ago.