Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Entertaining in the Raw by Matthew Kenney!

2»

Comments

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hi Fuzzywater, glad to hear the med tarts turned out so well. I was thinking that recipe would be a good one for us as well! And you used Lucuma in lieu of the mesquite in the truffles? I like maca and lucuma but haven't tried mesquite yet.

I can't wait to make the arugula gnocchi this weekend for my birthday, also from his new book! For dessert I'm going to treat ourselves to 'Sweet Gratitude's' Tiramisu! Life is good being raw !!!! :-)

Cheers!

Joyce

Oh the gnocchi in Matthew's new book was a smash hit. We loved it!! I wrote out all the details on my blog if anyone else wants to make these. They weren't that complicated. The gnocchi batter was rather thin but I was able to work with it. All and all it was delicious with the sweet pepper sauce, asparagus and pine nut parmesan!

I look forward to trying out more of his new recipes!

Cheers!

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I cant wait to make the gnocchi. I used to make it from scratch and when I was vegan I used to make an excellent vegan version. I miss it so much. I can not wait to try it! I am going to purchase the book today. Joyce, your blog is great! You are truly talented at your raw foods prep. I am envious! Keep it up!

Hi Ddigiacomo, thanks for the kind words. I've had a lot of beginners luck lately. But I still have my moments where I wish I had more experience in the kitchen from the days when I was making cooked vegetarian food.

I just love gnocchi too and have made successful vegetarian versions in the past. So I was really happy about Matthew's recipe. If you make the full amount and have leftovers, I think you'll like the texture of the gnocchi after sitting in the fridge overnight. My leftovers had a more authentic texture and consistency the next day. And after popping the leftovers with the the sauce and asparagus in the dehydrator for a few minutes, it was a delicious meal. And the parmesan rocks! I've been eating the leftovers all week in my salads! Yum!!

Please do let us know how you like the gnocchi if you make them in the near future :-)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I'm going to have to make some substitutions in the recipes to make it truly raw, which is kind of dumb in a "raw" book, but I am thoroughly enjoying looking through this and deciding what I'm going to make. Ihave to send this first book back because the sender didn't seal the box, so the book is damaged, but hopefully the new one/undamaged will come soon!

I'm going to be making the Mediterranean Tarts from Matthew's new book this weekend. Very excited about it. Especially after Fuzzywater's success with this recipe:

Fuzzy wrote: "So for both the mediterranean tarts and the truffles, I cut the recipes way down.... probably by half for the tarts and by 1/4 to an 1/8 for the truffles. So no, it didn't cost too much. But man, oh man, both of those recipes were great!!! Both wowed my hubby and a few coworkers. :-) Highly recommended."

I am not going to cut down the recipe since I"m hoping to have leftovers for a couple days. Normally I might cut a recipe in half if I'm not 100% certain it will be super. But it looks pretty straightforward and I like the flavor combos of the hummus, tomatoes and the olive tapenade. Plus having Fuzzy's review is helpful :-)

I might actually do half the tarts with the chopped up cucumber and half without it as that's my only (slight) concern. Fuzzywater, I assume you liked the chopped up cucumber mixed into the hummus?

Anyone else try some recipes from Matthew's new book yet ??

Joyce

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Hey, I'm making some things this weekend. (These are gourmet, not every day, so it's not good combining and not low fat)

I am making the white tofu to go with the tomato salad with basil oil and pine nut parmesan.

Also the tamales.

From other books, I am making a cabbage/kale salad with creamy dressing.

And a raw strawberry pie (Sweet Gratitude).

Other people are making a raw fruit salad, potato salad (jicama, I had it before and so good!), and green salad.

Superfood2,

The Strawberry Brilliance pie in Sweet Gratitude is really good. It's my husband's favorite dessert so far out of that book. He loves it! The 2 layers make it very pretty too :-)

We have our eyes on Everyday Raw's pototato salad too! Looks like a lovely and tasty recipe for sure!! As soon as it gets a tad warmer here, it will be a fun summer picnic food. It's still only in the 50s here so we're saving that one to celebrate summer in VT (which is all too brief)

Have fun!

Cheers

Joyce

ps - I think I must break every food combining rule and law imaginable (hehehe). But for some reason it works with my body. I actually feel the best ever since I started experimenting with gourmet raw food on the weekends.

Go raw food go!! :-)

I made the gnocchi, it turned out well. Unfortunatly I put too much lemon in it. I am terrible and usually measure by eye, sometimes it works to my disadvantage. I would like to make some more things from the book, have been lazy latly but I hope to get motivated soon.

So glad you liked the gnocchi! I thought the sauce was just fantastic! (I did cut down on the salt he calls for). Did you have to use teleflex sheets when dehydrating the gnocchi? I had to use them as the batter was too thin. But it still worked out well. They were quite good, especially the next day after firming up nicely in the fridge (overnight)

Cheers!

J

I acutally did not need to. I am forgetting the process because my mind is somewhere else right now but I remember something had to be drained and i did so in a nut milk bag and squeezed most of the excess water out it resulted in a pliable dough.

hmmmm, yeah, the jicama had to be strained. I used a strainer but maybe should have used a nut milk bag for better results as mine was watery. Next time I'll use the nut milk bag for the jicama. Thanks!