Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw sprouted legumes anyone?

I'm so very new to this wonderful life of raw. I started with Juliano's cookbook and am amazed. I made Kandace's carrot soup last night and was so warm and satiated.

I have spent the last two days sprouting black beans and black eyed peas. The peas are all but ready. I tasted a couple and couldn't believe how delicious they are raw and so tried a couple of the black beans.

Reading a number of the threads and then doing a google and a yahoo I am confused and nervous. The last updates I saw where from a year ago.

Are black bean sprouts safe to eat raw?

Are black eyed pea sprouts safe to eat raw?

Can anyone please advise me?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Welcome to Gone Raw Maykatcooper. I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have absolutely no idea. I've looked at several sprout charts and don't find them listed. Maybe someone else can answer this question. Kandace and her husband Ray are the creators of this wonderful site, and their recipes are delicious. Enjoy the journey, and again welcome.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

The only danger of eating raw legumes I ever heard of is eating them raw & not sprouted. I eat sprouted lentils, but most others are usually too bitter for me.

• Thank you both for your comments. I am working my way through Juliano's "RAW the Uncook Book" and he does have recipes for refried beans using sprouted black beans and raw hummus using sprouted chick peas. I try them soon and let folks know. Smile.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi maykat,

I went to this site, http://www.sproutpeople.com/index.html and the only thing I found was black (turtle) beans should be cooked. I'm not sure if all black beans are similar because you seem to have someone saying those are ok to sprout. Sprout people also did not list black eyed peas but they have numerous other peas listed. My guess is if they were good to sprout these guys would be offering them. BUT email them, I know they will answer your questions about the seeds they carry and the ones they dont with your safety in mind. I have them bookmarked and refer to them often for soaking, sprouting & storage times. The list of sprout able seeds is so long I'm sorry to hear the couple you wanted to try might not be a good idea. Well, next time! Let me know what end up being your favs. I like the broccoli (so tiny), lentil, and mung best.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

OOoo a tip on the chickpea hummus! If the texture comes out not to your liking it can be made creamier and more delicious with a half an avocado (or less) and some pecans (1/8-1/4 cup). Yummy!

• I just ate a sprouted black-eye pea soup from a Raw restaurant in NYC, so it can definitely be done. I found this because I was searching for a recipe of how to make it. It was sooo good at the restaurant!!! Hearty and filling.

• I just got done making the "real toast" from Juliano's book. I sprouted kamut and black eyes peas. The bread turned out wonderful, I wish I had tripled the recipe. I had no trouble digesting the black eyes peas, so I don't think they are a problem.

• gggg

Here's another website with sprouting info. I states that "large beans" can be toxic. But it appears black-eyed peas are fine.

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sprouting.html