Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Weird Dreams and Inconsistant Sleep

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Lately of have been having really weird dreams and waking up a lot during the night. Does anybody have any idea what may be causing these things? Typically I go to sleep really fast and sleep through the entire night. Hasn't been the case at all lately. It's only been about a week of this but it's starting to take it's toll. I'm groggy and discombobulated and can hardly ever focus and am really irritable.

Example of weird dream: I kept dreaming about the heat in the house kicking on and waking me up and discovering the roommate had it on 85 and I wanted to find him to gripe at him, and every time I would think the heat came on in my sleep I would wake up and throw off the covers then get cold again and wake up

Last night part of the dram was a large sack of bananas with tentacle like peels that picked me up and rolled me up into it's peels into the banana like a cocoon.

I thought the second one was funny, likely because I had a lot of bananas that day, but the fact that I have consistently had strange dreams and inconsistent sleep is getting to me.

Any advice?

Comments

• Any time I have bad dreams, if I tell someone about them, they go away.

Hopefully it's just a stress thing and it passes when you figure out what's stressing you and learn to deal with it.

Maybe you are having some kind of hormone or testosterone imbalance, your heat dream sounds like what women have during menopause (don't take that the wrong way, sweetie :)

Try meditation before retiring for the night. Some light yoga or stretching exercises... ?

• Ooooo, this happened to me! Do you have any light coming into your room at night? For a while I was having very vivid, very weird dreams, until I started sleeping on the opposite side of my bed. I tried that because the side I was sleeping on allowed me to see streetlights through the window, and I wanted to see what would happen if I slept on the extra dark side. The dreams went away, and guess what? Everytime I fall asleep on the light side I have the weird dreams. This is only my experience, but maybe try making sure you are in complete darkness at bedtime.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Interesting, there is quite a bit of lights coming into my bedroom. I just moved so am in a new place, the first couple nights I slept there this didn't happen, but I was also not sleeping facing my window. I might have to try that.

Stress over certain things is also an issue, but has been for some time now. I may have to try some yoga before bed as well.

• The fact that you had a dream about your roomate and some sort of disagreement, and that you have just moved, seems like a stress thing. It would be natural to be stressed out after a move, and once you start to settle in after a couple days, I think your subconscious has its own concerns. It doesn't mean they are necessarily warrented, but we often work out things in our dreams we either do not want to think about consciously, or are too busy to think about during the day.

Journaling some of your dreams can help you understand better why you had them...and it prevents other stressful dreams from occuring because you're getting your emotions out on paper. But it would seem to make sense that being in a new place with new roomates that your dreams might be more vivid for awhile. I've tried yoga and journaling when I have anxiety dreams that wake me up, and journaling helps it pass sooner...obviously the two together is even better though!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

heloise, It's actually a roommate I have had two years now, we are on good terms, but do disagree on things.

When I think about it, there are a number of things causing stress and the move may just be enough to make me go crazy. I'm starting to get sick today too. After work I'm going home to rest, eat a salad, drink some water and a green smoothie. Hopefully I can fight this off.

Oh, and I like the idea of journaling them. I normally journal in the morning any way, so it would be a good way to start them out.

• For the past few months I have been experiencing what I can only describe as Insomnia. It is my first time and am extremely perplexed as to what I can do about it. I purchased a sleep masking machine. the first one was not sufficiently loud enough. So I ordered another model that put out the sounds of a mother's heartbeat, and the heartbeat an embryo might hear as in the womb. But that did not work, in fact it irritated me so much I could not sleep at all. And so I traded that one in for the most deluxe model that puts out sounds of the doves on the lake at midnight and loons and katydids and fortunately among the all the selections I found one that is almost pleasing that of rain and another of white noise. I have to tell you the sounds of the babbling brook almost drove me mad.So even with the white noise I still find myself waking up two or three times a night. I now set my going to bed hours at about eleven fifteen PM and arising at about 5 AM to give myself a degree of regularity. If you can give me some helpful suggestions I would appreciate you advice or assistance.

Thank you,

gjyli

• RisnwthHimRisnwthHim Raw Newbie

gjyli,

I agree w/ you about the "babbling brook" sound....nothing sleep inducing about that! The "rain" sound and also "ocean waves" ( if your CD has that) are the ones I found most soothing.

Caleb,

Your post helped me to remember a period after I first began to eat raw food and I was 80-100% raw every day for awhile. Besides feeling light and energetic, I began to have really strange, "wild" dreams at night. They were so vivid! There was no anxiety or stress involved, and I was sleeping soundly through the night, but the dreams were really bizarre and rather entertaining to recall.

I haven't noticed those dreams for a good while, but I've compromised on my food choices way too often during the past 5 months since I started working full-time.

Sleep tight!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

You may be eating foods to high in the following:

Phenylalanine, tyrosine, methionine, cycteine, serine, and tryptophan. If you get to many of these chemicals in your system, there is a good chance you will have weird and even frighting dreams.

Most older adults have few dreams as they are low in these nutrients.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

And just how do I know what foods contain those?

Been sleeping a bit better lately though, but still having cray dreams. Not as weird as they have been though, not as vivid either, forgetting most of them when I wake up now.

I can't sleep with white noise, I almost have to have it silent. I sleep with ear plugs in most of the time. Didn't do so last night because the new house is quieter, but was woken up early AM by dogs barking up a storm. I should start wearing them again though, we have stray cats that like to meow outside my window a lot.

Calab, ,,, good ol internet. Sorry I cant give you more information. My time has been limited lately. Also have been sounding like Yoda, I am.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

So are you saying a raw diet causes more dreams? :) Aside from Phenylalanine, since I don't each much dairy anymore I would say I am pretty much getting all of those. Although I would say I am eating less raw then when I first started out, but am now completely vegetarian which was not the case when I first started eating raw. It's crazy, the dreams are continuing, but rather than being "crazy" they are dealing with my recent ex-girlfriend. Which makes sense, but there has been one very night this week with either her in it, or in some way having to do with her. I wish they would stop. Sorry for venting, just need to get it out. Plan on sharing this with some close friends soon too.

Do you take supplements, herbs, or do you juice veggies? I am not an expert on nutrients and dreams. I just know to many of the above can cause bad dreams. Many years ago I had taken a supplement with some of those nutrients in it. I started getting night mares.

I do believe we can get to much of a good thing. Last week I made a cacao cheese pie. With in a short time my heart was racing, I was sick and clammy. ....also Tryptophan is in celery. If I eat a lot of celery, it will make me very sleepy.

Concerning the ex friend. Dont think about her before you go to sleep. Read the good book before you retire and meditate on it.

One other thing. As you eat the higher nutrients that could be causing dreams, your body will adapt and the night mares will subside.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Ive been having really weird dreams over the last few days too. Ive been reasonably high raw for a while now (on and off for 3 1/2 years) but I am on day 16 of 100% raw. At least my dreams havent been frightening although several have included my deputy headmaster!!!

Fee, I hope those dreams have past. If it is/was food causing the problem the body will adapt.

The other is that, we are in a very upsetting era. I think sloughing off some of this political economy stress would help all of us.

I have also been wondering if detoxing could cause dreams or night mares. Any one know of this?

• This is my day 6 on a raw food diet. I'm trying it more as a jump start to introduce more fresh fruits and a variety of vegetables to my diet as I'm on the go and eat out too often. My goal was to do the diet for 10 days and evaluate how I feel at the end of it. I love the juicing, I love the variety of vegetables that I have introduced into my daily life and can feel the positive effects in complexion, energy and overall mood.

However, I've had some really vivid dreams the past couple of nights. I've had vivid dreams in the past, but last night I experienced a night terror with what I can only guess was slight sleep paralysis, neither of which I have ever experienced in my life. It was truly frightening! I kept trying to get back to sleep, but I felt I kept slipping back into that frightening dream state.

I see that other people have experience weird, vivid dreams while on this diet. Any ideas on how to make them go away? I'm sure the body will adapt over time, but I can't function on disrupting sleep like that until that happens.

Thanks!