Pasta "Shells" RAW Alternative?

Hi Folks, hope everyone is having a great day. We're having a heatwave in Boston- high 30's today!

I am still fairly new to the RAW way of life (and am about 50-60%) and am looking for some suggestions. I will be making stuffed shells for my stepson and DH this weekend. In the past I have just kind of gone off RAW for things like that but I can't even tell you how unappealing the idea of pasta is to me right now. Now, I know it's not great for my fam either, but I am trying to ease them into a healthier way of eating-I am not stuffing the shells with cheese, for example. My stepson doesn't live with us and is so wrapped up in SAD that it's a big source of concern for me. But I digress. Baby steps. :-)

If anyone has any thoughts on things I could do instead of the shells, I would be so grateful!

Namaste!

r4r

Comments

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

If you are making a stuffed shell like manicotti, try stuffed zucchini instead! Just slice the zucchini really thin (either by hand or lengthwise on a mandolin). Then you can make a pate, cheeze, or stuffing to wrap the zucchini around! Personally I try not to eat too many nuts, but I bet a marinated mushroom stuffing would be heavenly!

Here's a picture of a zucchini roll that I found: Stuffed Zucchini

Good luck on cooking for your family... I know mine will never go raw, but I have gotten them to eat MUCH healthier and my mom actually likes a lot of RAW desserts that I have made for her! It takes time, but eventually you'll get through to them in one way or another.

• Khaas it's so funny that you say that because right after I posted that idea popped into my head. I think I may go that route. That pic you shared looks incredible. If I made something that looked that good I am SURE the boys would eat it. I don't have a mandolin but maybe I can get a few thin slices on my own. I just made some of the rich cheddar sauce from this site so I can use that too. Do you have a marinated mushroom recipe that you like?

My DH is totally supportive of incorporating some RAW into our lives so I am lucky in that regard. It's not entirely his cup of tea but he does like some of the things I have made. When he tried the cheddar sauce he kept asking me "And you are SURE there's no real cheese in this?". Cracked me up. It's my stepson I worry about. He gets SO much stuff at home that's not good for him, I can see it in his little face and body... I just try not to judge and set good examples when he is with us. I can't control everything. It's a challenge for sure-esp since I can be a bit of a control freak!!

Thanks so much for the post!!

Namaste!

r4r

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

r4r, that is so awesome that your DH supports you! That helps a LOT, and maybe your stepson will see your DH's example, since he's the 'man of the house'. I haven't ever made a cheeze before, but if it tastes that much like cheddar, I'll have to get around to doing that sometime soon! :-)

The way I usually marinate my mushrooms is just with nama shoyu (kinda like soy sauce), but I just found this recipe that looks even better - especially for an italian pasta! Good luck!

• I *am* really fortunate Khaas! Though, for the record, I am the man of the house, lol. JK ;-p He does OK... still does his own thing a lot when it comes to eating but is very respectful. He keeps asking me if I am getting enough protein which makes me laugh.

The cheddar recipe, fyi, is the Rich Cheddar Sauce, I forget where I found it, look under kids. It's amazing. Thanks so much for sharing the mushroom recipe, I think I am going to try that tonight!

If anyone else wants to weigh in feel free and thanks!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Namaste!

r4r